PhatVR6

PhatVR6's 4wd 24v Corrado (new brakes)

PhatVR6, is that a little interview with you i`ve just spotted in PVW??

nice track vid too!

ben

top marks PhatVR6 8) , sounds awesome :twisted: , dont look to bad neither. :D

:twisted: 8) :twisted:

yes, that'me in PVW, but it's HORROCKS, not Horricks, gits.

as for the 4wd, well, considering I didn't have a rear anti roll bar on, yes, it made a MASSIVE difference!!!

first lap out I beat my previous best time, and it was slightly damp (very greasy) and the tyres were cold and not scrubbed in. I felt like I could have given it a hell of a lot more, so next lap I did. IT's a weird feeling, the car actually feels a bit slower, becasue rather then the engine screaming it's nuts off and spinning the wheels up (giving you the IMPRESSION that you're going fast) the engine revs don't seem to rise as quickly, becasue it's actually putting all the power to the ground. I wasn't getting any wheelspin at all. Even the guy doing the timing said my car was quicker than everything else on the track out of the first bend and into the second.

It felt weird at first, but Igot used to it by the end of the day. It does understeer ever so slightly (probably and hopefully because of the lack of a rear ARB), but also because of the way the syncro system works.

I have a peloquin diff in the front, so on a corner, when I boot it, the inside tyre will lose grip, so power is transferred to the other tyre. when BOTH lose grip then the viscous coupling does it's job of transferring power to the rear. To describe this in practice- you have to really push on the bends, get on the power earlier than you would with FWD (because you'd understeer and run out of road with FWD if you gassed it too soon) and let the front go. just keep on the power, it'll break away eventually, and as soon as it goes, the back end comes into effect and PUSHES the front back into line. scary at first, and really difficult to get used to as it's an automatic response to lift to bring the front end around, but if you keep it planted it does it's job.

I've decided the recaros are crap for track use. I was falling out of the seats! litterally hanging onto the steering wheel to stay put.

I still didn't feel it felt that quick, the extra weight has numbed the engine power slightly, but for the extra grip I have it was infinitely worth it.

The car has settled down now too, no more stupod error codes in the way, and the more I drive it the better it's adapting, so the ECU is giving me more and more power as it learns. it's getting faster and faster now, I'm loving it.

Cams next :-) (already got them!)

yes, that'me in PVW, but it's HORROCKS, not Horricks, gits.

as for the 4wd, well, considering I didn't have a rear anti roll bar on, yes, it made a MASSIVE difference!!!

first lap out I beat my previous best time, and it was slightly damp (very greasy) and the tyres were cold and not scrubbed in. I felt like I could have given it a hell of a lot more, so next lap I did. IT's a weird feeling, the car actually feels a bit slower, becasue rather then the engine screaming it's nuts off and spinning the wheels up (giving you the IMPRESSION that you're going fast) the engine revs don't seem to rise as quickly, becasue it's actually putting all the power to the ground. I wasn't getting any wheelspin at all. Even the guy doing the timing said my car was quicker than everything else on the track out of the first bend and into the second.

It felt weird at first, but Igot used to it by the end of the day. It does understeer ever so slightly (probably and hopefully because of the lack of a rear ARB), but also because of the way the syncro system works.

I have a peloquin diff in the front, so on a corner, when I boot it, the inside tyre will lose grip, so power is transferred to the other tyre. when BOTH lose grip then the viscous coupling does it's job of transferring power to the rear. To describe this in practice- you have to really push on the bends, get on the power earlier than you would with FWD (because you'd understeer and run out of road with FWD if you gassed it too soon) and let the front go. just keep on the power, it'll break away eventually, and as soon as it goes, the back end comes into effect and PUSHES the front back into line. scary at first, and really difficult to get used to as it's an automatic response to lift to bring the front end around, but if you keep it planted it does it's job.

I've decided the recaros are crap for track use. I was falling out of the seats! litterally hanging onto the steering wheel to stay put.

I still didn't feel it felt that quick, the extra weight has numbed the engine power slightly, but for the extra grip I have it was infinitely worth it.

The car has settled down now too, no more stupod error codes in the way, and the more I drive it the better it's adapting, so the ECU is giving me more and more power as it learns. it's getting faster and faster now, I'm loving it.

Cams next :-) (already got them!)

Thats really really good news! I'm glad the 4wd is worth while!

The video is awesome!!

Is there anything that can be done about the bodyroll through the corners?

Is there anything that can be done about the bodyroll through the corners?

He's trying to sort out a GB for some Koni Coilovers.

That does sound phat, Phat 8)

Awesome (correct use of the word!) mate, gald you have started to enjoy the car!

I take it you have fitted the R32 ECU now then? Getting there pretty quickly now.

the excessive body roll is due to a standard vr6 front ARB, and NO rear ARB!!! (I thought I'd lost it, and by the time I found it, I'd already made up a temporary exhasut and ran it right through where the ARB goes...)

and also, currently running on a tired set of AVO Rallye coilovers, which are crap.

Koni Group buy in effect, I will be buying some of the new stainless coilovers for it.

Donnington vids coming next week.

Yes, it's running OK now on the correct r32 management, still has a bit of a flat spot, not sure if the variable intake is working, it doesn't feel as torquey as it should low down (too used to a schrick you see). I'll run it at bug jam and see if I can get into the 13's and hopefully get some power figures shirtly before I fit the cams.

just a thought about the flat spots paul,has the ecu had the updates this could sort out the problem.

It should be a chipped ecu, as the engine it came off has non stock cams in it, so it won't be running right until I fit those cams

some pics and footage from donnington today coming soon. I'm proud to say that only one car passed me in the entire 20 minute session, and that was a jabbasport tuned shelby kit car.............nothing else came close. my mates 1.8t mk2 would have, but it kept overheating and wouldn't boost so he had to retire (well, that's his excuse ;-) funny how he was doing fine until I passed him )

Your car has to rate as my favourite Corrado, no Volkswagen, ever built. The best part is it's only ever going to get better too. It's an inspiration. Freakin' sweet.

well thank you very much indeed.

it's still very much work in progress and rough around the edges, but it's impossible to do so much work and get it right first time.

Now I've thoroughly tested it on road, strip and track I know where it needs work so it can now come off the road again to be finally sorted, and them when it drives right I can start to tidy it up and put it all back together so it's more presentable,.

check out my GTI track show diary thread

2005_0730_115217AAB.jpg

2005_0730_115707AAB.jpg

passing my mates poorly 1.8T....then I did that TT engined mk1 on the next bend, drove right around the outside of him, LOL! (he was an old giffer though).