Sign in to follow this  
dav

VR6 - MPG

Hello, I have a quick question for the VR6 Crew,

Q What will contribute to fuel consumption gradually getting worse?

I gave the Motor a service not long ago, Plugs, Filters, Oil .etc.

It used to deliver around 26-30 MPG on the daily drive, now its about 19-23 MPG.

Thanks

D.

Just a thought, but maybe as it gets colder it uses more fuel for the choke??

I have noticed a drop in mine over the last coupld of weeks from 26-30 to about 24ish, so could be that.

Lamda probe or its wiring have to be the first suspects, especially if it's stalling and running roughly. It could also be a temperature sensor controlling the mixture enrichment.

Best wishes

RB

Ford,

Just read through the thread that you linked me to, nice one mate.

Thought it might be the Lambda probe, but would the Cam position sensor affect it too.

any other thoughts?

thanks

D.

Mine has a similar problem, the engine seems to be pulling stronger than ever after being rebuilt but it randomly stalled 3 times in one day and has not done it since, I suspect it may be a lambda sensor? How much do you think it costs? I'm sure you may be losing power if the cam sensor is out, and as a result you may lose a few mpg but nothing as major as you described, more likely to be running too rich which will also effect performance.

As far as I have seen when I had this problem, It gradually decreased fuel consumption and then all of a sudden I was getting between 17 and 23 MPG which was harsh. If it is your Lamda, your C will also most likely (well in my case...) stall sometimes for no reason when you come to a stop and the Idling becomes erratic.

Lamda from VW cost me £75 but it is the origional with a 1 year warrantee. I think this will resolve your issues. Mine is now happily getting between 24 and 37MPG :-P :-P :-P

Good luck

aaaaaaaaaaaaand..........It is definately worth hooking it up to a Vagcom.......there may be somebody in your area...! By the way, where are you?

Oakley,

"As far as I have seen when I had this problem, It gradually decreased fuel consumption and then all of a sudden I was getting between 17 and 23 MPG which was harsh. If it is your Lamda, your C will also most likely (well in my case...) stall sometimes for no reason when you come to a stop and the Idling becomes erratic. "

That sound very similar to what I am experiencing, think that I will change the temp sensor first then the Lambda,

Lambda: £77.14

Temp: £9.42

I live in the Middlesex area, will travel for Vag-Com until I get my own. :wink:

As far as I have seen when I had this problem, It gradually decreased fuel consumption and then all of a sudden I was getting between 17 and 23 MPG which was harsh. If it is your Lamda, your C will also most likely (well in my case...) stall sometimes for no reason when you come to a stop and the Idling becomes erratic.

Lamda from VW cost me £75 but it is the origional with a 1 year warrantee. I think this will resolve your issues. Mine is now happily getting between 24 and 37MPG :-P :-P :-P

Good luck

my vr6 is exactly like that. where is the lamda probe located?

theRuler,

Have a look under your car and below the down pipe you should see a Plug/Probe type thing which is fitted into the exhaust pipe it should have two wires coming out of it, which should have some kind of heat protecting cover on it.

If it has not it may have messed with

hope this helps.

Off for the weekend now, have agood weekend guys.

Thanks.

D.

If the lambda is knackered you might expect problems under part throttle, and maybe overrun, but full throttle and idle shouldn't be affected, AFAIK.

Indeed, the lambda probe is ignored at wide open throttle.

VAG-COM or a multi-meter will soon tell you if the Lamba probe is dead.

A MAF operating out of range or worn throttle position sensor or even worn plugs and leads can also cause poor running, poor mpg, stalling and hunting at specific rpms.....

You also need to look for unmetered air leaks on the inlet side of things and pre-lambda exhaust leaks....

Mine did strange things when the flexible section of the down-pipe developed a split - it confuses the lambda probe.

New down pipe was about 120 quid , plus vat, from VW.

Best wishes

RB

Yeah the down pipe flexi-hose is a common one... you know when it's gone when you get exhaust/petrol smells first thing in the morning which goes when hot as the joint expands.

£120 from VW is as bad as I thought (mine's gone by the way), but it's still not cheap :(

When mine was standard, I got 500 miles from a tank by driving pretty sedately (33mpg). These days with the Schrick, cams and throttle body I'm lucky to get 400 (26mpg), but the cams encourage lunatic acceleration.

Hmmm, i usually only put in £30 at a time (Think it must be a phsycological thing to trick me into thinking i'm not spending so much on petrol!) and tend to get about 175 miles ish from that. Car is standard, but smokes like a goodun' when i floor it. 175 miles is when i drive mostly steady too :(

fla,

I was a little bit vague about my location, in am in the Hayes Middlesex Area.

Filled the motor up with BP Ultimate will have a look and see what I mileage I get, so I can do a before and after comparison.

"BP Ultimate is getting expensive" :roll:

Stage One will be the Temp sendor,

Stage Two will be the Lambda probe.

Stage Three….don’t really want to go there. :roll:

Thanks

D.

had a crack at trying to get the best MPG last night.

Managed 36 mpg after forty minutes of dingley dell B road. The amazing thing was that I reset the MFA2 ten minutes into the drive- and the MFA2 MPG at the same time (ie half an hours driving minus the cold start) came to 40.8 MPG :shock: :shock:

Thats gotta be a record :)

I reset my MFA last week, after coming out of the petrol station. The road exiting the petrol station is all downhill, and I managed to get 50mpg :p :lol:

But that's cheating :wink: