Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

am i doing the right thing selling my vr6

Perhaps I overstate, but you'd have to admit, the steering feel *is* down to the vibration that comes up from the wheels, through the chassis and up the firewall into the steering column. If you bush the car with bushes soft enough to not make it crash on bad roads, you lose that feel.

Anyway, it wasn't my point to belittle the corrado's suspension, just to point out that it's minor shortcomings are what provides that touch of magic that you can't get with modern cars.

From personal experience, I'd say keep the C. You will miss it too much- trust me! The S3 would be great for a while, but the novelty would wear off after a few months. Performance, engineering, build- all great, but it just doesn't have that bit extra that the C has.

Maybe hold off for a year, save up for the S3 (prices will have dropped by then too :wink: ), get the C on a classic ltd mileage policy to bring out at weekends. Best of both worlds. I'm planning on getting a vRS estate in a year or so, but I'm gonna try to keep my VR- even if it means sticking it in the garage for a while. It would only fetch around £3k, so I'm just gonna save my arse off for the next few months so I won't have to sell when I get the vRS. That's the plan.... prob won't turn out like that!

Perhaps I overstate, but you'd have to admit, the steering feel *is* down to the vibration that comes up from the wheels, through the chassis and up the firewall into the steering column. If you bush the car with bushes soft enough to not make it crash on bad roads, you lose that feel.

Anyway, it wasn't my point to belittle the corrado's suspension, just to point out that it's minor shortcomings are what provides that touch of magic that you can't get with modern cars.

I do know what you mean but some people like that level of feedback. It's the same in 911s mate..... there's no getting away from the fact that if you want good communication from a car, there are certain trade-offs.

Sure the C clonks here and there but I wouldn't say the feeling through the column is harsh, it's reporting exactly what the front tread blocks are doing.... I'd rather my car sniffer dog it's way along the road than plod along like a Vectra blancmange with no feedback..... for instance, you know when you come off a bit of shell grip mid bend, hit black tarmac and feel the tyres slip a little (in the wet)? I love that sort of feedback.... you just don't feel the differences between one surface to another in blando mobiles..... so ya can keep your squishy bushings for when you retire :lol:

I know it isn't, I was trying to demonstrate the differences between a sport orientated chassis and one mad for old farts.

And Matt started it sir..... :p

i guess i will have to drive one and see... im in no rush to change so i'll just see what comes along..

turned down the chance to buy a black one with 269bhp cause i didnt like the stereo :lol: good price though... but i'll wait till i find the right one.. and if that means waiting till next year. so be it.

Ah .... the selling of the C... it has crossed my mind at least a hundred times

but...

I can honestly say I have a friend who wants to get rid of his S3 (Biggerbigben should know also) he says he wants an R32 cause he doesn't want a car the sqeels at him, more something that ROARS at him!

The money you have spent on the C won't come back with the sale I'm sure you know.

As for the age of the car (sounds kinda stupid) if you replace the wearing parts -bushes, bearings, mounts, shocks it should feel like a new car again - This is my plan

I won't even upgrade to an E36 M3, maybe a 968 club sport but can't afford the insurance.

A standard S3 and a VR6 are similar performance

one has character and the other doesn't

one rattles and the other will soon - that can be solved with carpet tape!!!!!!

one has character and the other doesn't

one rattles and the other will soon - that can be solved with carpet tape!!!!!!

Well said :lol:

I'd stick with the Corrado, I know my cars are different spec, than these, but I the Leon is similar to an S3 i.e. A3/Golf floorpan, 1.8 20vt, A3 dashboard etc.

I am seriously thinking about selling the Leon and using my C full time again after 2 months of having the choice of using either.

As AndyVR6 says the novelty will wear off.

Do you have a favourite bit of road you love to drive quickly on? If you do, I bet by the end of it in the C you have a big cheesy grin, and I bet in an S3 you would arrive the other end sooner having gone faster, thinking "thats impressive", but no cheesy grin.

Just my thoughts after being in a similar situation and being lucky enough to try a newer car without selling the Corrado.

I think the S3 would be a superb car, but you'd regret selling the Corrado. Especially now you've cleaned it up and spent some money on it.

I can understand how they get you down. Back when I had my 16v and was quickly realising I couldn't afford to run it any more, I just need some motivators to help me get rid of it. Then one day my backbox rusted through and just fell off - forked out the money to fix that, and then not one or two days more the full closure stopped working and it was like a light just got switched off inside me - too many bills and problems - the Corrado has to go. It was tough as I handed the keys over at Citroen - on one side I was totally devastated inside, but looking at it in the car park it just looked tired and old (perhaps polishing it once in a while might have helped that) and my Saxo looked shiny and modern. I felt I had made the right choice at the time.

But even after all that I was considering another Corrado after 2 months of Saxo ownership. The S3 will be great and you'll love coming out to the car in a morning and knowing it'll start and it'll behave and something else won't drop off it.. but you'll miss the character of the Corrado and you'll miss being part of the 'club' on here and sharing a tale or two about your Corrado..

Give it some thought and don't be too hasty. As the other guys have said, squeaky trim can be fixed.

without reading any of the thread my answer would be

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Regards

The S3 may provide a more modern and easily tuneable package but if you are not especially wealthy or have lots of dispoable income etc then I would imagine that the thrill of spending an extra 10k would quickly diminish.

For the modest outlay the Corrado is a pretty special and relatively rare car. I don't think after the honeymoon period the S3 would seem so attractive if like me you'd be burdened with a significant loan for a number of years. At least the C is paid for.

i may try a buy the s3 and take the corrado off the road for a few months, just so i can always change my mind if i need too

thinking about it though... i love my crx and didnt want to sell that... but now i dont really regret it... cars have to be sold at some point

Ford, just go through adrian flux...the schrick added no extra to my insurance! £1100 before schrick...£1100 after schrick and exhaust and suspension etc..

but there is no way i would supercharge the corrado... not worth putting more money into the car IMO. its only 2wd remember.. s3 is 4wd so can handle bigger power...i.e the 260 bhp i have planned :lol: how it is now is fine.

dr_mat, its not that it isnt my thing...i like the car alot... but like the idea of an S3 even more

Who said fitting a blower to a Vr6 made it an unruly beast :?:

Have you driven one :?: - plenty of FWD cars out there pushing this sort of power through the front wheels with no adverse affects - for sure in the wet you would have ot use a degree of care - same as in most cars but the noise and driveability would more than make up for the monor shortcoming.

Also dont forget being centrifugal supercharged means a very gentle boost transition - no sudden hit of torque to unsettle the front wheels - its just like having a bigger n/a engine up front :lol: - which is nice :!:

Pete.

im not changing because i want more power... im changing because i want a newer car...i think.

its either stick with the corrado as it is at present and save my money... or get an s3... not really interested in modding the corrado anymore

thanks though

As other people have said its not just about performance and handling.... I got a thumbs-up from some random guy in a Peugeot yesterday, I doubt I'd ever get that in an S3, its one of the things that makes owning a Corrado so rewarding :) (despite the constant stream of repairs...)

Buy my M3 mate!

It'll simply destroy an S3 [and matches an RS4 in straight pace!].

RWD, 50/50 weight etc, its the ultimate driving machine apparently! :wink:

Seriously though think about it. The S3 was in my list of option until I drove one, very poor performance [relatively] put my off - no faster than the VR6 or CTR I had owner previously.