Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

What a week - C is now a Cat C

If you dont mind the fuel bills (you didn't seem to mind them with the C) a v6 omega makes a good tow car and cheap too (under 2k) very comfy and cheap to run. Second hand trailer shouldn't be much more than £800 either. And I think theres special deals for the saftey kit for the bimmer. I'll dig out the spreadsheet i made a while ago when i get home.

Surely a Pug 205 GTI would be even cheaper to race? And better handling.....by miles.

Not really, theres no engine tuning allowed in the seloc series and very little mods other than the safetey kit, If you raced a pug 205 you'd have to spend a lot on tuning and engine building etc. The saftey kit for the 2 cars is prety much the same cost.

A 1.9 GTI has the same 130bhp the 320i has and is a lot lighter with renowned good handling out of the box....plus panels are a lot cheaper and easier to replace than on the E30.

I'm not trying to rain on Dom's parade, merely suggesting an alternative. Coming from an E30 background, I'm just warning you they are not cheap cars to run and rear chassis components are very fragile. Still, it's his choice at the end of the day!

Dinkus, sorry :( to see this thread, but having read through the 4 pages so far it seems that you have a plan to make you happy again and thats the main thing.

That BMW idea sounds awesome. A mate of mine builds trailers from old dumped Caravans, not sure if they'd be strong enough for a car though.

If you do buy something other than a C stick around, theres a good community on this forum and your certainly a colourful part of it. :D

I am so sorry and disappointed for you, Dinkus. :( This is really, really, really depressing. I can't believe I had not noticed this thread.

I hope you do get another C - buy yours back and keep the new one going with all the spares! At the end of the day at least you are not hurt!

AS Kev says - these VW's are indeed very tough beasts.

Thanks guys, I managed to forget most of this week with the amount of alcohol drank last night, so it's beginning to feel better emotionally...not sure about the rest of me now tho! Maybe starting with a pint of Leffe on an empty stomach wasn't such a good idea... :lol:

I'm not sure whether colourful is a good thing or not, so I'll just assume you're calling me gay and give you one of these gayfight.gif :lol: (Courtesty of Scruffythefirst and the Passion Ford site... tells you a lot about Ford guys eh? :lol: )

I'll be sticking round on here whatever happens thos and it sounds like I might become a mod on here, so you won't get any choice :D

The SELOC thing is starting to look like it could be a bit too expensive, but it needs more investigation I think.

I've been looking at various cars to get instead of the C for a similar price, but as even a 2.0 valver is now gonna cost me £1k to insure, so I dread to think what it would be for another VR.

I've got a bit of a problem that I don't know how much I'm getting for a payout, so I don't know what to do for a replacement car, combined with the dilemma of this racing malarky. I need to get a cheap barge if I'm going racing, if not then I can get something nice instead.

Any suggestions for a cheap barge? I was thinking L-reg Passat estate... any other ideas?

To make it more fun, I only get a courtesy car on my insurance if they're repairing it (which isn't gonna happen), so I'm car-less and due to living in the sticks, it's gonna be interesting trying to get to work on Monday...

Oh well

There's plenty of Carlton 3.0 24v kicking around for peanuts money, if you fancy a bit more power than your VR.. ;)

There's plenty of Carlton 3.0 24v kicking around for peanuts money, if you fancy a bit more power than your VR.. ;)

:lol: maybe not the most sensible option. Lots of 2.2 Diesel or 2.5 V6 Omegas around too...

I've been looking at various cars to get instead of the C for a similar price, but as even a 2.0 valver is now gonna cost me £1k to insure,

Even if that was 3rd party, its still gonna be cheaper than what i'll be paying :cry:

I'll be sticking round on here whatever happens thos and it sounds like I might become a mod on here, so you won't get any choice :D

Not any more :lol:

Anyone who treats a Corrado to as many grass verges as you do is automatically disqualified :wink: :lol:

Anyone who treats a Corrado to as many grass verges as you do is automatically disqualified :wink: :lol:

I think it was an attraction to hard wooden things actually...

Mod this :fist:

Seriously though.....I hope so. You don't want to be entertaining ropey old Bimmers on a track.....if you can't keep one of the best handling FWD cars away from trees and pylons, what chance do you stand on a track? He he, only playing :lol:

Get a payout from Elephantitis and the buy Jedi's VR :D

Dont claim, buy the shell thats for sale somwhere on the forum and rebuild, providing your engine survived.

Dont claim, buy the shell thats for sale somwhere on the forum and rebuild, providing your engine survived.

Yeah it all seems intact, apart from anything on the driver's side of the engine bay. The driveshaft is probaby buggered on that side too, so might have lunched the gearbox. I'm not entirely sure as I haven't had a 'proper' look.

The main problem with rebuilding it is effort.

We shall see tho, the SELOC bimmer series is looking less likely now, as it's too damned expensive, but I'll probably just get some kind of barge for now while I think about what to do.

I'll keep yall informed tho :)

Be totally outrageous dinkus :evil:

Get a Rover 75, a flat cap, dye your hair grey, put on a Cliff Richard CD and go about muttering "I hate Jeremy Clarkson". :|

Be totally outrageous dinkus :evil:

Get a Rover 75, a flat cap, dye your hair grey, put on a Cliff Richard CD and go about muttering "I hate Jeremy Clarkson". :|

Rover 75??!! Pffsh, more like a Rover 100 *shudder*

The only problem with that is that I'd fit straight in with 90% of the people on the roads round here. At least it's better than fitting in with people that are off the roads :roll:

Dinkus said

The only problem with that is that I'd fit straight in with 90% of the people on the roads round here

Don't knock flat caps (and Barbour Jackets - and a beard), they can work in your favour.

Years ago, I was in a job which involved travelling all the highways and byways of Scotland and some of the islands in summer. I used to find that on single track roads with passing places, if you drove hard along the straights whilst wearing such attire, nearly every car coming the other way quickly scurried into a passing place to let you proceed. As I was only driving newish Polos during that time and not, say, an intimidating vehicle like a Range Rover, I put this courtesy from others down to the fact that I looked like a local - e.g., a shepherd, forestry worker, factor, etc. So, if you drive around the sticks looking as if you own the place just watch the touristes run for cover :oops:

So I got the phone call today - it's officially a Cat C write off, so phew.

I still need to sort out money with them, but I do get 21 days of free car hire while it's sorted, so that's cool.

Vultures can now break formation... :lol: