Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

Yokohama A539s - Opinions

Basically,

Ive got Yokohama A539s all round on my C. I dont think I like them. They seem noisy and not overly grippy. They are 195/45 16.

Anyone had any experience of them or just have factual info?

Thanks

DF.

They're not the worst tyres I've used, but not the best either! They're you're typical Japanese/Korean tread compound - soft and grippy in the dry, average in the wet.

Had them on the polo, pretty grippy in the dry, dreadful in the wet. All my freinds say the same about them

very grippy in dry, but wear far too quickly. I will not be using them again, ive been converted to the far superior Toyo Proxe's 8)

would agree with whats already been said. don't have bagfulls of confidence in them when its wet (back end has given way once recently with little pushing). Step in the Eagle F1s...

I like the Yoko's good grip in wet and dry and they wear well, I've had the current ones on the car for 12k now and there only just half worn (I did swap the fronts and backs round last year tho) - Good tyre for the money and seem to be the choice for people with forced induction.

very grippy in dry, but wear far too quickly. I will not be using them again, ive been converted to the far superior Toyo Proxe's

Have to disagree there, the Toyo do give better grip in the dry as they are far softer but in the wet thy are awful! - I've only tried the T1S's onceon a set of 17's and I liked them to start with a it was summer but 3,000 miles later they were half worn and the wet/cold weather kicked in...

Your the second person I've heard say the Toyo's last longer than the Yoko's - maybe the A539's came out with a much softer compound originally? :?

I have been running A539s for a while now, I got 4 on my 16's when i put them on the car. I have covered appx 11.5k miles sinse then, and have been on the track for around 6 - 8 hours in total. I have replaced i have repalced 2 in that time. IMHO that is very very good, and at £63 fitted per tyre, i have absolutely no complaints on the mileage to price ratio.

On the roads they are a bit unpredictable in the wet, but what u need to remember is that its not just water u r driving on.....its all the deisel and shite that the water brings to the surface, its a difficult point to make correctly.....I thought they were very good while i was on the track at kames in june, that was very wet, with a lot of standing water in braking areas and also on corners.

The only tyre I have run that was better int he wet was the Michellin pilot exhaulto, and they are not far off twice the price.

But what ever your opinion.....they are obsolete now so it doesnt matter :lol:

Think everythings been said already.....very goo din the dry, wear out quite quickly but are cheap, not very confidence inspiring in the wet. Personally I don't like the Toyo's, Bridgstones Potenza RE720 is my current favorite, but you can do a lot worse than Yoko A539s :)

LOL... varying opinions on rubber as usual :lol:

We need a new sub-forum - Consumables debating

This could be a dumping ground for endless debate about tyres, oil, air filters, spark plugs and brake pads :D I..e all the stuff that we can change ourselves and has a limited life span.

Interesting how the same tyre on the same car can give so many different opinions though. It's got to be variances in chassis set up / alignment. And at what speeds, road conditions are we talking about when we say "X" is completely sh1t in condition "X"?

My C has always had care & attention paid to the chassis so that I know any sliding is tyre / speed induced rather than worn shocks / bushes etc.

I bet we all had a few scary moments when the roads were really greasy a week or so ago! Not even F1s can cope with that sort of surface.....

By and large, I find all the jap tyres to be very similar.

Out of all the Yokes I have had the A509 is still my favourite.

I agree with Andy about the Michelin Exalto. A top tyre!!!!! £170 ish for 4 at Costco. Pretty long lasting in my opinion. Although 2 trackdays at Elvington saw the fronts thru to the cords. :cry:

I still got a tenner each for the rears though :lol:

Gavin

Yeah 509's they were wicked tyres!

Toyo Proxes are sh**e! Only last 3,000 odd miles and they had worn down to the limiters!

steve

hmmm usual probs with the Yoko's flashed up here, same ol probs of good in the dry crap in the wet...... :roll:

IMHO I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole, they wear like buggery and are not really that great.

I currently have bridgestone potenza's on the S3 which are superb and Continental sport contacts on the C

For budget tyres Avon are quite reasonable. 8)

Mid range I would say Bridgestones :afro:

Hi end I would say Pirelli P-Zero's :notworthy:

Hope that helps! :brillsmurf:

Maybe you should be less cavalier with your right foot! ;)

Was gonna say.. i've got Proxes on at the minute and whilst i'm not their biggest fan, they certainly arent wearing anywhere NEAR that fast! Barely any tread gone and I must have done over 2000 miles since getting em! :)

I have them on my golf and have to agree with what most people are saying about them. Savage grip in the dry, not so good in the wet, bit noisy and wear quite quickly (though no worse than toyos in my experience) As they are now obsolete they can be had at a bargain price. I got a new pair pretty cheap just before christmas.

My one and only set of A539s were destroyed with flint shards during a weekend break in Cornwall. All I did was drive over a rough old track to get to the cottage and then found several gashes (down to the cords) on the tyres which resembled werewolf claw marks.... happens quite a lot on Dartmoor :D

Hi end I would say Pirelli P-Zero's

????? Gone off pirelli. Agree. Had P-Zero's on my old C many years ago and found them to be a good all rounder but you paid front end. Currently have P6000 on my Storm. OMG have done less than 4K on the front and are down to te 1.5mm bar. Never again and b4 u ask....No, Not driving hard for 75% of the time. Just Normal and I am not one for breaks (feather the trottle)

Have Yokomahamas on the AWD Outlander. Just covered 5K and they look like New... Thnk the C VR6 frontend is Very Heavey...............end

Yeah 509's they were wicked tyres!

Toyo Proxes are sh**e! Only last 3,000 odd miles and they had worn down to the limiters!

steve

Got toyos on mk3 16V done plenty more than 3000 with lead footed wife at the wheel :lol: Wear not that bad IMO. Not as good grip as Michelin pilot exaltos.

Gavin