Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

what tools are you using?

just wondered if anyone had a good alternative to snap on ive got a lot of their stuff but just wondered if anyone had found any other good suppliers of tools as SO are so expensive and some of the stuf really isnt great quality there are a few german names bergin? kicking around on egay but ive never tried them. got a few halfords profesional and there pretty good too there tool boxes are as good if not better than snap on!

I'd say halfords profesional.. pretty good, never had anything break.

.....Darren's mostly with him fixed to the end of em..........

yes im a big fan of there ratchet spanners actually.

Another vote for Halfords professional. I've had one of their socket sets for 10 years now and nothing has broken..... and I've even managed to not lose any of the smaller sockets!

I'd vouch for Halfords stuff too. I don't know about commercial use but none of the socket ends have chewed up and the rackets work without fault.

Got a mixture of Halfords Pro, Sykes Pickavant (who make the halfords stuff anyway) and some japaneese sounding sockets I've had for years which I don't seem to be able to break... 8)

I've got Teng, the sockets are great, but it all feels so lightweight. I'm always worried the ratchet is going to break. I've got an old 1/2 Britool ratchet my next door neighbor gave me, it feels indestructable.

Next time it will be Halfrauds or Britool.

Got to agree again with the Halfords gear. I use to work in Halfords for a bit so bought a load of it up on staff discount :wink: I use it everyday at work now and rarely get anything break. And when I do i just go back there and get it swapped. Job done. :thumbleft:

Yep, I got the Halfords 150 piece set (now £99), the flexible head ratchet spanners and a couple of the pro tool chests - superb quality stuff and lifetime garauntee!

yeah i got the flex head ratchet spanners brilliant very handy tools the chests are nice to as long as you get the pro ones. ive got some mac tools too and there very cheap feeling even though there mega bucks.

After using various makes of tools for near on 12 years in the garage trade I wont use any thing but Snap-On for the main items (spanners, ratchets and sockets) the flank drive system on the spanners and sockets have never let me down yet so I swear by them, although im not keen on the screwdrivers they do have a lifetime warranty, but I have to comment on the quality of their tool boxes, you just cannot compare a halfords box with a Snap-On one, just open one of the drawers empty to feel the difference in quality, although i do have to agree with comments on the halfords hand tools as they are quite good for the money

After using various makes of tools for near on 12 years in the garage trade I wont use any thing but Snap-On for the main items (spanners, ratchets and sockets) the flank drive system on the spanners and sockets have never let me down yet so I swear by them, although im not keen on the screwdrivers they do have a lifetime warranty, but I have to comment on the quality of their tool boxes, you just cannot compare a halfords box with a Snap-On one, just open one of the drawers empty to feel the difference in quality, although i do have to agree with comments on the halfords hand tools as they are quite good for the money

so could i intrest you in this then ? it has to go soon as our custom painted ones are almost ready for us to pick them up now... :lol:

£2k ovno

I use Halfords Professioinal and Draper Expert, good quality and value for money, and haven't broken any as yet. Also have some older Britool stuff kicking around. If you are going for professional quality and can afford it then go for Snap-On or Teng tools. Mactools are excellent as well but feel a little lightweight as mentioned above.

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

so could i intrest you in this then ? it has to go soon as our custom painted ones are almost ready for us to pick them up now... :lol:

£2k ovno

You'll have to get that Ford sticker off it first ;)

halfords pro stuff is always good. draper stuff is also pretty good. screwdrivers and stuff i use halfords because when i break them i can take them back! stanley stuff always good aswell!!

I'll stick my hand up to being a tool snob. Having spent a mint whilst contracting, I still frequent the snap on van at work. You get looked at funny if you have crap tools when connying on aircraft.

I do have cheap tools but I buy Snap On whenever I can. They just feel nicer to use. You can get cheap ones on ebay. I bought a box full of gear for 2K last year. I sold off the bodyshop stuff I'd never use to recoup some of the cost.

Gavin

I have only two snapon tools

they are faultless and only bought them as they were aniversary stuff.

one of our truck mechanics has a new snap on chest its lime green !

as for me I use kamasa as I tend to hammer a spanner ! :-)