Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Audioscape moulded sub enclosure - update 21/02

I've noticed an interest in moulded sub boxes and this is something Audioscape can do to a very high standard at very competitive prices.

Below is an example shaped to a MK2 Golf's nearside arch cavity which virtually leaves boot space unchanged, whilst still getting the benefit of a sub!

I'm looking for 10 names to form a GB. So show your interest below if this is what you're after :lol:

My car will be used as a template but the carpet mat/spare wheel differences won't affect matters. Obviously 4x4 converted Cs will need a smaller box but it's something we can do if there's enough interest.

Cheers

K

Excellent Kev!

Looks like i was too quick off the mark with the PM :wink:

As you know, i ahve always been interested in one of these.

how much are wee looking at ?

This the perfcet end to a brilliant system for a corrado,

Are these sealed or ported?

Both?

I'll have a Sealed and i persume they'll be a deal on woofers like th last one?

I'd take a Focal 11". always fancied one of them or a 12 " Diamond or JL. but ill go for the focal. makes sense :D

Mine will be ported or isobaric but I should imagine the majority of them will be sealed, but we can do designs for both. Depends on the woofer you choose.

I haven't got a price yet but it will be certainly less than Autoacoustic's (who don't even list one for a C) who's start at £150. If we get 10+ names there's sure to be a good deal :wink:

Yep, Audioscape can do deals on woofers too. They can get anything you want at good prices and again, there are 4 to 8 and 8+ prices on Focal woofers (as per components) which will be the cheapest price anywhere!

Depends on price but i might be interested in TWO on for each side if thats poss.

Depends on price but i might be interested in TWO on for each side if thats poss.

Certainly is but the driver's side one will stick into the boot a bit more as that arch has less space due to the C/L pump and petrol filling arrangements. I was thinking of using that side for an amp rack if it's too small for a decent size enclosure.

Certainly is but the driver's side one will stick into the boot a bit more as that arch has less space due to the C/L pump and petrol filling arrangements. I was thinking of using that side for an amp rack if it's too small for a decent size enclosure.

Ive got two subs :D so would need two made for me. I was gonna make some myself but im sure i couldnt make them as good :lol:

i am in! i want some decent sounds and neat too, i hate loosing all my boot!:lol:

Im in depending on price.

Will these be custom made to fit any sub that we specify or will the cubic feet of the box be a standard amount? The reason i ask is because i've got a 15" sub, which needs a big enclosure.

The one in the MK2 looks :thumbleft:

Tbh you'll struggle getting a 15" to work effectively in that area without the cabinet encroaching into the boot too much, but it also depends if you go sealed or ported etc.

I don't know whether it's best to just offer a standard sized tuned to an 11" Focal sub and offer that as a GB product, or go with just a standard cabinet, or go with cabinet sizes for specific speakers...... I'll speak to Audioscape.

OK...down to the nitty gritty....

Audioscape's normal charge for a custom made moulded enclosure is £180. It's very labour intensive.

They can do a GB price of £150. A polglass 11" sub to go with it is normally £180, but the GB price is £130, so £280 as a package.

Sorry the box isn't as cheap as I thought it would be but considering it would be an exact fit custom made to the car, it's still a good price imo.

Well I'm still game :D I'll get one made for mine and post some pics up.

Kev, will these boxes be tuned just for the 11" sub?

I know wat ur saying about it taking up too much boot space, but my current cabinet takes the majority of the boot so anything slightly smaller would be a great improvement.

What materials do they use to make the enclosures?

Kev, will these boxes be tuned just for the 11" sub?

I know wat ur saying about it taking up too much boot space, but my current cabinet takes the majority of the boot so anything slightly smaller would be a great improvement.

What materials do they use to make the enclosures?

They can make and tune a box for any speaker mate.

Materials etc ... birch ply or MDF (18mm to 1" usually) baffle, resin impregnated cloth to form the shape, internally braced, and then several layers of fibreglass. The whole lot is then covered in decent carpet and the woofer hole is routed for a flush fit.

As Pablo mentioned, you can make them yourself but the DECENT quality fibre mat and resin is expensive, plus I'd rather pay someone else to do it and my car won't stink of resin, and it gets everywhere!!

i know i expressed interest before kev, but I think its a bit out of my budget. looks like a quality product and worth every penny, just a bit too steep for me.

I may also be interested in one of these. Do you know what they total weight of the enclosure is. I want to get a neat install in my boot but do want it to affect performance too much!!

They're not as heavy as a wooden enclosure, but I don't know the exact weight. It won't affect the performance! You need a serious amount of ICE before the weight becomes a hinderence!

Im definately still up for it thats a great price! im going to do some research on subs as well as although not a chav i do listen to some quite bassy music on occasion!

thanks for the info kev, im still interested, be good to see wat it looks like in ur car. any idea wen urs will be ready?

Ah cool, still interest present then! I thought you'd all run a mile when I told you the costs! I appreciate it's not a good time of year for big purchases.

You need to see them in the flesh to appreciate them.

They did us a good price on the pods as they've already produced the jigs and moulds etc but with these sculpted boxes, it's done from scratch, but as I say, £150 is still good imo and custom work is NEVER cheap when done to a high standard.

I'll start work on the box with James on Monday probably.....

I think £150 is ok for a custom box seeing as a standard sub box is around £50.

well good luck...............i know boot builds are a mission.

nice one cant wait to get my hands on one! just out of interest how will you be attaching the box to the side of the car?