Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

Quick Question

If - as you drive at speed along a NSL road - you experience a rapidly

worsening vibration followed by a bang and one of your front wheels bouncing off into the hedge, is this bad?

My hands are barely shaking now an hour and a half later...

Err yes that is bad, the wheel coming off is bad enough, but the resultant damage to the brake disc, strut and bodywork is worse.

Much damage?

How come your wheel bolts became so loose as to cause this? Vandalism?

My mate had all 4 wheels' nut's loosened (deliberately) on his Audi 90 several years ago. 3 fell off on the motorway at 80 mph. The car was written off due to the underfloor damage and 2 cars hit his wheels causing frontal damage.

There are some f'cked up, very sick individuals out there.

Kev

94 Vr6

The casualties (on a quick visual inspection) are:

1 x 288mm front disk (about 1/2" worn off - I was 'braking' so it couldn't

rotate);

1 x splash shield for the front disk (worn/bent to match the disk);

1 x front wishbone (front anti-roll bar mount worn away);

4 x wheel bolts (MIA - presumed stolen);

1 x Audi A3 Turbo 16" wheel (mounting face and one bolt hole damaged)

Slight scrape on the leading edge of the front subframe, and I'm not sure the

front pads on that side are too healthy any more.

I'll see about posting some pictures tomorrow.

Holy $hite... glad to hear you are ok Mike. Which car did it happen in? Shocking that people would take parts off a car to leave it in that condition.. the scum of this country are taking over, I swear.

Typically, the one I care most about - the Moonlight Blue one.

Annoyed I didn't spot the missing bolts though - even though I have the parts to fix it

Its easy to overlook something like wheel bolts, especially as they are recessed in a lot of alloy wheels. Again, its a pretty messed up state of affairs where a crook (having unsuccessfully attempted to steal your wheels) leaves your car in a state which could have hospitalised or even killed you.

Again, I am just glad that no serious harm came.

try two locking ones across from each other if one alone wiggled loose.... sucks either way cuz you'll have to check to see if you've got 4 bolts all the time. at least if they cant get the two locking ones off the wheel will stay on a greater amount of time until you notice it.

shitty deal man. best of luck

I couldn't live with the fact that I may have caused someone (and potentially his wife and kids!) to die! There are some scum that live on this earth!!! :mad:

Main thing is that you're ok anyway Mike.

I think 5 sets of locking wheel bolts might be a solution! :)

I couldn't live with the fact that I may have caused someone (and potentially his wife and kids!) to die! There are some scum that live on this earth!!! :mad:

Main thing is that you're ok anyway Mike.

I think 5 sets of locking wheel bolts might be a solution! :)

Lol... imagine getting to the garage for a set of new tyres and handing over this huge keyring full of locking wheel nuts... you'd be Mr Popularity :)

Glad to hear you're OK and that the car isn't too damaged... :shock:

I swear that I don't understand some people today... Some little oik tried to steal the wheels off my car a while back, when they couldn't get the locking nuts off, they mangled the nuts up so I couldn't get 'em off either... then they smashed at one of the wheels with something like a hammer and messed it up big style...

What makes people do $#!{ like that, and why smash up a wheel that you failed to steal??? :?: :mad:

Hope you get the car sorted soon and without too much hassle and cost...

Like everyone mate, that is harsh! I think the hammer would have been someone - idiot- trying to smack a smaller socket on your locking wheel nut to try and loosen it and probably missed and hit your rim!

I took once 3 mates out for a drive down a fast dual carrage way, I was driving my friends E36 M3 EVO Convertible in Estoril Blue - my favourite and I had a model in the car that normally does the Team Dynamics stand so you can imagine I was showing off a little with the roof down, I was driving at speeds of nearly 150 mph and the next day I had a puncture so I took the car along to get it fixed and 4 bolts came off in his hand and 1 was missing! It was the rear wheel as well and being rear wheel drive at that speed would have been game over for all of us. Someone in jelousy had done that deliberately. Thats why people steel bits off your car because they are jelous.

I think that we should all take the time out just to look at our bolts just to make sure that they dont look like they are going to fall out, lets face it, what is 20 seconds for a life time, and if you know you are going to be driving hard then I would definitely do it. Just my thoughts that would save some lifes..... I dont know what you all think?

Also, if you have alloy wheel, even the standard alloy wheels the bolts like all vw's are not right for them because of the shampers on the bolts, so try and buy some proper alloy wheels nuts / bolts, they are only a couple of quid. They look better as well! Sorry again about your story, what goes around, comes around, I just hope sooner rather than later!

Mike, I can't believe the braindead could be braindead enough to do that. Just glad to hear u are ok, & the vr not totalled.

In the 1st picture:

The scratch on the right is the subframe.

The scratch in the middle is the anti-roll bar mount on the wishbone.

The scratch on the left is the brake disk.

Mike,

Edit your post where you had tried to attach the pictures. For each picture you want to attach, browse for the file in the 'Attach Picture' bit and then click the attach button. The browser should think for a few seconds and then go back to how it was. Then simply do the same again for every additional picture that you want to attach.

If you have a problem getting em on, feel free to mail em to me and I will upload em for you : mailto:[email protected] :)

Yeah as Jim says (but I think you need to click 'add attachment' first) then browse for the picture from your computer and click 'attach'. It will then upload the pic from your pc.

No need for this remote-hosting malarky!

('Preview thread' can be useful as well)

Ah nuts... was about to post these up. Sorry Mike, I headed out for a curry after posting the offer to get these uploaded :oops:

Scary... really scary... glad no serious damage was done.

Good to hear that you weren't hurt mate. A car can always be replaced. Same thing happened to my MkII GTi (only my wheel didn't actually come off) and I thought my brakes were buggered. Turned out the the one nut that was left (the locking one) was only on by 2 or 3 threads. Hope everything gets sorted soon.

Doh! Can one of the kind mods delete this post please? Posted it twice and can't delete it myself. Thanks

done ;)