Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

Today at the stealers, part X

As I've recently treated my Mk2 Storm Rocco to a nice shiny Supersprint 4-2-2 branch manifold, a little bit of tidying up is all that needs doing, amongst others replacing some clips to hold the front stabiliser bar (as I sheared off a bolt there :roll: ).

Placed the order on Tuesday, some parts had arrived today, others hadn't, of course those that are most essential to complete the job.

Anyway, during the invoicing procedure the guy behind the counter asked me whether I had 2 Roccos, to which I replied that I had 3 (as the Rado was initially branded a Rocco by herbert Schäffer and his design team as well), how old they were, to which I replied (rather proudly) 24, 21, and 15 years.

Then the shock question: Whether I wouldn't want a newer car? :mad: Are parts counter folk now trying to flog cars? Is VW that desperate to sell their new cars?

I just replied that I hate new cars because of their shape, lack of character, lack of DIY-friendliness etc. He then shut up :lol: I should have added, that I also hate everything that VW has come up with ever since they stopped the Rado, but didn;'t want to upset my parts counter man too much :lol:

Tempest

Indeed - lets buy a brand new Golf and and end up trying to work out which one is yours in a car park because everyone has the same bloody car.

At least the older VW's are reasonably scarce (Roccos and Rado's especially) and its nice having something a little more unique these days rather than following the crowd.

when i go into the local vw garage (a rare moment) they make me feel like the poor relative with my "old" corrado. they should embrace the enthusiast. or at least humour me.

fuck em though. they are fucking cunts anyway.

As I've recently treated my Mk2 Storm Rocco to a nice shiny Supersprint 4-2-2 branch manifold,

Interesting....where does the 2nd collector join? :D Or have you got an exhaust on each side of the car?

where does the 2nd collector join?

Erm, that would be nice, but alas it's just my crappy typing (now when can PCs finally read my mind instead of me having to fight with an inhumane thing such as a keyboard ? :lol:).

Tempest

Interestingly enough when I go into my local dealership I get nods of appreciation over my rado...

..but then one of the parts guys used to own one..

Stealers near me seem rather disinterested when i go to buy parts, i get the impression they dont like the DIY repairers out there. I now get most parts through my mechanic, very rarely do i visit VW these days.

Last time I took my old 16v to the dealers for a repair they more or less hid my car round the corner until I collected because I'm sure they thought that it clashed too much with all their black and silver Golfs on the forecourt.

I could almost hear them thinking, "And don't bring that old banger back to our premises..!" (not that it was shoddy at all by the way)

Still one of the best looking VW's IMHO.. though just lately regular Passats wearing decent 17" BBS wheels and sporting a sensible drop have been starting to get my attention - help! :(

regular Passats wearing decent 17" BBS wheels and sporting a sensible drop have been starting to get my attention - help!

OMG! Jim! Get him to the (Rado)hospital quick. Before we know it, it's familyman time, sedan (that's a saloon for all you Brits :lol:) time, ... no further comment.

I actually get on with my parts men at my local stealers quite well (always get greeted nicely :lol:), I suppose today's conversation was just to kill the time whilst making up the invoice. Just a shame about the topic the guy had chosen. He could have asked loads of questions on the advantages of a Rocco/Rado, and I'd probably still be there listing them all :lol:

Tempest

I think maybe we're expecting too much from the stealers, you'd think working for VW they'd be at least semi-interested in the brand, but sadly in reality to the vast majority of them its 'just a job'.

when i go into the local vw garage (a rare moment) they make me feel like the poor relative with my "old" corrado. they should embrace the enthusiast. or at least humour me.

My local dealer has 2 businesses. The dealership and in a different location a parts only company (Wayside parts).

If I go to the parts place they say things like "That's a lovely Corrado you have there..."

If I go to the dealership I actually walked around for 10 minutes attempting to attract the attention of ANY member of staff but couldn't! They picked up phones or tried to flog overpriced drone cars to plain looking accountants...

Eventually I muttered "f*ck it, I'll get it serviced some reputable!" as I walked out the door, that was the first eye contact I made with the staff!

thats exactly the reception i get.

the whole vag customer service in the uk needs a big fat injection of enthusiasts. theres tons of them out there.

it should be pre-requisite for getting the job.

in most other fields product knowlege (at at the least product interest) is required.

the whole vag customer service in the uk needs a big fat injection of enthusiasts. theres tons of them out there.

in most other fields product knowlege (at at the least product interest) is required.

Sadly apathy is widespread and ingrained in the UK...

I was going to write a long rant about it, but I can't be bothered...

I work in IT, surrounded by apathetic "it's just a job" types. I suppose you can understand that really, cos it's less exciting than cars, but when you're trying to run a tech support place, you really need to have technical people, not monkeys who follow scripts...

(We don't hire monkeys any more - the monkey doing the hiring got RIFfed last year, and they always get US techies to interview prospective employees now, and we are all trained in bullshit identification.)

i work in IT also.

you really need to be into it, to be of any use.

personally i've into computers since i was nine or ten

my mate had a zx81. i wanted one bad. but the factory near where my dad worked were manufacturing it's replacement. so right at the start of 82 i got a spectrum. and it went on from there! started typing in listings . . . now i'm a programmer

i have had people work here under me, that have no concept of "dos", or using a computer without a mouse.

and they only want to do the "fun" stuff (new techs, etc)

to be good with computers, you need to know the full story. and to do that, you have to have a genuine interest.

I used to be REALLY into computers right up to 1998 when I got a job in computing.... Now I work as a developer/consultant/scapegoat and would do virtually ANY other job that paid the same. SO miserable and bored in IT these days, want to train as an electrician...

i have had people work here under me, that have no concept of "dos", or using a computer without a mouse.

and they only want to do the "fun" stuff (new techs, etc)

to be good with computers, you need to know the full story. and to do that, you have to have a genuine interest.

Agreed - I think we grew up at the best time when it was all happening!

most programmers in their 30's all remember the old speccy/bbc micro/c64 days. it has given us roots.

and jetset willy was a good game.

most programmers in their 30's all remember the old speccy/bbc micro/c64 days. it has given us roots.

and jetset willy was a good game.

Now your talking :-P

BBC Micros networked using econet :-)

Doorstop zx81's ( if you didnt own one )

Speccys with rubber keypads,Sir clive we salute you !

Commodore stopped being a pet and then sold vic20's EEKKKK

or a CBM64...ah those days of micro drives and tape to tape :D

poke53280,1 :-)

poke 53281,12

yikes...

Next X ;-)

Ok ok and who else typed programs out of mags and then they told you the misprints a week later ?

chubbz