Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Runabout for

Hi people

I have decided to take the C off the road for a bit and just get everything as I want it.

I need to get myself a run about and am pretty sure a C for £1k would be pretty unreliable unless anyone esle says different.

okay thoughts: -

Mk2 GTI 16v or 8v

Mk3 GTI

BMW E30 318is, 320(is) or 325

Toyota MR2

Nissan 200sx

I think my C might need a new clutch, slave cylinder, new breaks up front, wheels refurbed, new tyres and new insurance - best quote £1120 BARSTewARDS nearly 23 and 1yr NCD

To be honest, any of the cars in your list will be fairly unreliable and tatty for £1000.

All jokes aside, that sort of money would be best spent on previous shape Mondeo.

I'm swaying towards a mk2 GTI 8v as a few people tell me they have less bhp but have more torque and more enjoyable to drive. Never been in a 16v mk2 so no first hand experience. Would like the big bumpers and the bbs 15's.

I don't think I'll be driving a mondayow thankyou......

Seen a nice mk2 gti black with bbs 15's on autotrader for £950 130,000 miles - looks really nice, think it's a 16v though

you'd pick up a tidy and reliable mk2 golf driver 1.6/1.8 for £800 easy,

if thats too slow, never had a problem with my mk2 valver in 2 yrs, not bad for 17 years old.

think the driver would be more reliable

There is a havanna brown Storm on there at the minute IIRC for not much more than £1000... I was just looking the other day. Leather interior too :)

In fact its £950!

1985 VOLKSWAGEN Scirocco 1.8i, B reg.

rare classic, Havana brown, full leather, SS exhaust, EW, immobiliser, VDO gages, upgraded brakes, reconditioned alloys, strutbrace, very reluctant sale. £950 . ovno.

Tel: 01325 259526 or 07940 734291

Looks nice from the picture too!

Jim - Scirocco! thats a good plan! I'll have a look on autotrader

Bally - I think i'll go and have a look at the 16v

Nice one m8...

goodluck... :D

If I was looking to sell my Corrado I'd be looking at a grand for it I guess. It's in decent nick with 116k on the clock and has never been anything other than reliable. I'm sure good Corrados are around for a grand although spares for Mk.2 Golfs are considerably less scarce so, in my opinion, that's where the smart money would go. A grand should be able to buy a good late-spec. Mk.2 I believe.

Hint: there's more covered loading area in the boot of a Scirocco than in a Golf (handy for both bass amplifiers and expensive Corrado parts) ;)

This is brilliant, of all the rocco's the GTX was the best and this ones one of the last and in the best colour -Helious Blue:

VOLKSWAGEN Scirocco 1.8 GTX, F reg.

metallic blue, immobiliser, CD, c/locking, s/roof, MoT/tax, new tyres/ clutch. £750 . ono.

Tel: (07974) 691541

Distance: 67 miles

Price: £750 ono.

im also thinking of doing the same but i know what im like id get a golf or a scirroco and then id start spending money on it! then theres a mk1 golf rolling project get one for about a grand sort the rado to a state im happy with then drive the rado and do the same with the golf easy im then left with my two favourite vw's in mint condition! yeah right like it'll work like that!

okay.. may get laughed at here, but you could do worse than a mk3 polo gt coupe. I had one before my corrado, they're not particularly quick, but you'd get change from £500 (£500 more towards fixing the rado) and they're cheap to insure. Had mine for two years and it didn't need anything more than servicing parts, so reliable too!!

You cant go wrong with a mk2 Golf 16V, i brought my last one for only £900 quid, 16V, big bumpers, bbs alloys, only 84k miles, it was a bargain..

You cant buy a better car in this price range IMO :wink:

Wow really? 84k!? haven't seen any mk2 GTI's under 100k for under 1,000 maybe I should hold out as my favourite is £950 on autotrader with 130,000 miles. Not so sure about the scirocco, will have a look around, the Blue GLX sounds good, wasn't too convinced on the brown one on autotrader - yuk, no offense to anyone with a brown car - I'm brown but don't want my car to be!

If it's a general hack you're after, the mondeo suggested earlier makes good sense to me. They're not dull to drive, you can leave it anywhere and not care about it, they're reliable, built quite well and cost very little to run and maintain and of course cheap to insure.

The MK2 GTI although a good choice isn't without it's issues and being a GTI, you'll find yourself tweaking it eventually, which isn't part of your objectives. You just want something to drive and forget about really.

Don't go near any E30s for £1000 or less. They'll cost you more than the C to keep on the road, especially the 325i.

Good advice Kev, I definitely don't want to start tweaking two cars, my objective is to find one that will run fine and not need anything doing to it, full Tax and MOT and good tyres. I'm sorry but I really could not bring myself to sit in a mondeo let alone be seen driving one. I have no issue with drving a golf with dents or rust in but not a mondeo. I have a general hate against Vauxhalls and Fords - I could even drive a micra without feeling embarrased

If it's just a car you want to stay going and not require any work to keep it on the road then you'd be best off swallowing your pride and go buy a mondeo.

The mk2 gti may be the more interesting choice on the face of it but any one you buy is going to be at least 13 years old and will need a lot more maintenance than a mondeo half the age. If you buy the golf you'll probably end up spending some money on it almost every pay packet you get as there'll always be something wrong with it. I know this only too well, I have one! Remember that mechanically speaking they are quite similar to the corrado and as such most of the problems that affect corrados are shared by the golf.

Oh, and if you find an E30 320is for 1k let me know, I'll buy it for sure LOL!

Oh, and if you find an E30 320is for 1k let me know, I'll buy it for sure LOL!

I don't think he meant that particular E30. You need to be a bit of an E30 geek to understand the signifance and rarity of such a beast :wink: