Sign in to follow this  
matt_corradovr6

stainless exhausts?? which one 4 a vr6??

Get a Milltek! sounds awesome when you want it to

I think it's quieter than OE system but when you really push it you get this awesome raspy note! highly recommended!

Okay okay, when they are both sitting at idle the OE is quiter when they are at full pelt the OE is quiter and boring but when you are cruising on the motorway at 80 mph I can hear nothing with the Milltek very comfortable driving.

Okay okay, when they are both sitting at idle the OE is quiter when they are at full pelt the OE is quiter and boring but when you are cruising on the motorway at 80 mph I can hear nothing with the Milltek very comfortable driving.

Errr... I think Kevhaywire might have something to say about that, he had 2 Milltek systems in the space of a week and another week later he had a VAG system back again...

His certainly wern't quite, even after the fitment of an extra silencer...

the Milltek on my new G60 is quieter than the standard system J-DUB came with... :| (it's also slightly quieter than my custom made jobbie which replaced the standard one on J-DUB)

Personally I don't want the exhaust to go "rasp" when I'm driving. I'd rather hear that gorgeous and subtle V6 induction rumble...

There's loads of research on exhausts here. Matter of opinion and how much money you are willing to spend. Milltek and Magnex in the same price bracket (kind of mid range exhaust). Best to go for, according to Haywire and others, is Supersprint or Original (both more expensive, with the Original its labour intensive because you have to drop the back axle). I was looking a couple of months ago, went for magnex in the end and cant complain. Suitably sporty and subtle, much better than powerflow that was on there previously.

Yeah if you're going for standard, it's a good time to change the rear axle bushes / replace corroded brake lines etc etc.

Noise levels are subjective and I found the Milltek to be stupidly loud, especially when hot, where Stainless tends to resonate. There is nothing unusual about my engine which would cause it to be louder than others, so I have no idea why the Millteks on mine were so loud.

This is why the Supersprint and VAG systems use mild steel boxes with stainless pipework. You get the refinment of mild steel (thicker walled jackets) and the longevity of stainless.

And as usual, more noise does not equal more power. There was no difference in performance over standard with the Milltek. Sports exhausts always have and always will come with exaggerated claims.

I have to say my Miltek (on a G60 with no extra silencers installed) is not excessively loud at all. In fact wind noise is more prominant at motorway speeds that the exhaust due to the shape of the car! You start to hear more exhaust at about 90 but nothing too bad. When cruising it's certainly not annoying but sounds nice when you push it. The fit is spot on and it doesn't bang at all on the chassis or suspension. Sound- wise, mine compaes favourably to a VAG system. I detest loud exhausts as I made the mistake of buying a Piper once for my old Polo and it drove me up the wall! You won't get many extra ponies with only an exhaust as unless you have replaced then, the down pipe and manifold still constrict exhaust gases. I would imagine an exhaust, down pipe and ported manifold all together would make a noticable difference on the road.

Milltek's are great systems and their customer service was also proven to be very good when i split mine :wink: poo happens i guess,, but atleast tey got me the replacement within 5 working days no grief given,,, which is not a commen thing these days unfortunately

Stick with standard. The only reason to go for aftermarket exhausts is if you want a nice shiny pipe sticking out the back, or want a waarrrrpppp from the back of the car rather than the front (where it should be).

Having been through endless different exhausts from different manufacturers on different cars I will never get another aftermarket one. Having a lowered car does not help but they are never perfect in every way. I have admitedly resorted to flushing the rear bumper and putting down pointing tailpipes on in order to make it look nicer than standard!

2p Kerplink

Jay

Surely you can't refute that if you have engine work done you need a freer flowing exhaust to fully realise the gains to be had? A lot of the problems with aftermarket exhausts is that they are not fitted professionally.

Nope. de-cat yes, but the Corrado exhaust is plenty free flowing enough. Fair enough if you have a massive turbo, but on a NA car it can be worse than having an exhaust that is suited to the engine.

Jay

I've just had a Miltek system fitted because original system had a fist sized hole through middle box and MOT man wouldn't write a ticket out!

Overall pretty happy with it, but slightly more raspy than original, and has a very slight rattle, I think it is just catching the body somewhere.

If I could have afforded the labour charges I would have fitted an original system, but I couldn't. That was the deciding factor.

Anyway, I was under the belief that fitting a free flowing exhaust instantly gave you a 100bhp power increase, well thats what the local Corsa driving burberry wearing gentleman told me!! ;)

I thought you could fit and original system withpout dropping the axle?

cut the pipe where it goes over the axle and fit a VAG OE sleeve joint?

see http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I worked in a vw franchise for a while and i was always fighting with the parts department over vr6 rear silencers. There is a single piece rear box available. To fit this you cut the rear silencer from the middle just before the rear axle at the point where it is roundest. You will have to buy a sleeve to mount the new rear silencer. This is available from vw and is produced for this purpose. It is the same for mark 3 vr6's, polo,s and some audis. You will just have to get someone in the parts that has half an idea what they are doing! I hope this helps. Very Happy

Riki.

I thought you could fit and original system withpout dropping the axle?

cut the pipe where it goes over the axle and fit a VAG OE sleeve joint?

Well thats how to do it without dropping the axel but it will always be better kept in one piece, I don't think it's to hard to drop the rear axel, just 4 bolts I think but the ABS sensors need to be disconected!

Supersprint is the way to go, they fit perfectly unlike the Millteks.

They sound better than the Millteks too....MUCH better. A bassy, subtle tone that goes factory quiet past 2500 rpm. The Milltek emits a horrible resonant din exactly where you don't want it - at 70mph!!

Speaking of the King of Exhausts..... has anyone thought about trying a SuperSprint 6 branch stainless manifold on their VR? I'm thinking unequal length runners on the inlet (Shrick) and unequal length collectors on the zorst manny would give some big torque gains.....

Only one snag though....it's £600 :shock: But a work of art!

He means unequal.. Since the ports inside the head are different lengths for the two banks of cylinders, so although the manifold is unequal length it compensates for this difference inside the head...

ah, Thanks! I forgot about the VR6 head having different length tracks inside the head... :oops:

So the shrick and that exhaust manifold take this into account and even them all up then by having exact unequal lengths to give a total equal lenght on all inlets and outlets, which should give extra torque? :?

*edit* just read that back to myself and it confused me! :oops: What I mean is: Is that manifold (and the shrick) made so that their unequal lengths give a TOTAL length (including the head's tracks) for each track which IS equal in length?