Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Which Alarm?

I'd like to fit a new alarm system to my C, the existing one is quite old (Foxguard I think), and doesn't operate the 'closure' on the windows, and I've also got a seperate Category 2 immobilisor that's been fitted.

Any suggestions as to what 'reasonably' priced alarm is worth getting? I'm quite interested in some of the Clifford alarms as they seem to do quite a few add-ons. So I'm thinking, could I buy a cheapish one now, and then later 'add-on' some extra functionality?

I've got a Cobra CAT1 jobbie on mine which has full closure (well windows only as I think earlier 16v's and G60's cant be made to have proper full closure?) and it seems pretty good! Apart from a bit of a hiccup in the first week I owned it which was down to a knackered sensor (3am wake up, then 3:30am wakeup.. woohoo) - got that swapped and its been pukka since :)

Get a Toad Ai606. Cat1 and less than £300.

Quite tempted by the Toad Ai606, seems very well spec'd for good price.

Do all the enhancements come with this system as standard, such as headlight operation? Or do you have to purchase seperate modules?

Autowatch are the most reliable alarms out there and OE fit to BMW etc.

I've got an RLi 160 fitted to mine which is CAT1, does full closure and also switches the courtesy light on for a minute when disarmed. I've seen this alarm for £160 online, but you'll need to get it fitted professionally to get the install certificate for your insurance company.

What I like about this alarm is the key fob, siren and brain are tiny.... aswell as absolutely no false alarms. It has a real plip and forget feel to it, unlike my previous POS clifford.

As always though, any alarm is only as reliable as the person that fits it, so all the alarm looms need to be properly soldered and heat shrunk.

Dont think Toad do as many add ons as Clifford. I know they do a glass break sensor for an extra £25 I think. I am looking at a new alarm based on that alone. How annoing to have your stereo nicked (like my mate last week!!). Wont save the window but amp/sub and contents of the boot could be worth lots more.

As Kevhaywire says be careful who get to install, remember the looms are 10 years + old! Dont want some kid messing around with them as could cause more problems down the line.

Absolutely! I got Audioscape to install my Autowatch and remove the Clifford. They were horrified by what they saw. The dashboard was never put back together again properly, the main Clifford unit plus the add-on boxes were tie wrapped to the heater control cables, the 2nd stage imobiliser was linked to the ignition switch and not the fuel pump or starter motor, the bonnet switch was a 99p cheap POS that rusted, the siren was secured to the bulkhead with self tappers and a lot of the wiring was spliced into the VW loom with scotchblocks.

That was done by an authorised clifford dealer, bunch of feckin muppets.

Audioscape soldered, heat shrunk, and tie wrapped all the looms and even tidied up and secured loose VW looms whilst there. The alarm unit is bolted to the dashboard and the siren bolted to the bulkhead. Water proof pin switch used under the bonnet.

The dash is completely rattle free now that they've been in there and rectified all the bodges.

Name and Shame time - Avoid Norwich In Car Entertainment. They're a bunch of useless butt wipes.

Autowatch are the most reliable alarms out there

i agree...ive got the same alarm..it was £235 fitted and has not let me down since...the only drawback is that you cant get the "add ons" like with clifford...(i always fancied the remote start for these bloody cold mornings!) :afro:

my last 2 cars have had a sigma m20 alarm, cat 1, with full closure and a very simple 1 button remote, plus a control panel in the car so you can chose from all the functions like auto deadlock when you start the car, all for about £280-300 fitted :D

Vote TOAD - on my 3rd (3 cars!) one now, and not one has let me down (or got me up) once unecessarily.

Pukka pieces of kit, and if you know what you're doing, you can do it yourself to be sure a good job is done. £150 or so from most retailers who'll sell you one over the counter. Otherwise, go on a recommendation - should be under £300.

These things do take some time to fit well ~5 or 6 hours it took me on the rado.

PS, on the fob thing - Toad has to win - clear, robust grown up design that'll last and last. The daddy :)

Sorry to jump in, can anyone recommend a good alarm installation company in the Hampshire area ?

kevs spot on their i had an alarm fitted to my old g60 then vw had to sort the mess out cost £800! but i got a whole new loom fitted as they footed the bill, (rogue alarm company) i then had a cobra fitted, which was brilliant. My current c has a clifford which has been installed very well and is equally as good never given any problems.

I also nominate the Toad Ai606, just had one of these put in my car on Monday after I had to get a horrendously complex Clifford system ripped out and binned because it started to have a mind of its own (the alarm going off while driving, and going off non stop through the night even though I hadn't even armed it in the first place). And I also had the same problem as kevhaywire with some idiot Clifford dealer making an arse of fitting it. Everything's rosy now though.

I wouldn't have another clifford thrown at me!! My concept 300 is safely ripped out and still in my boot!

The downside is that the clifford has more options.

The upside is that the toad works!

I am just in the process of looking to get an alarm and the toad Ai606 looks best value for money. Otherwise theres the Clifford stuff, loads of gadgets but from personal experience £550 quids worth of it, those flashy alarms are more hassle than they're worth, spent every 1/2 hour out checking out the car, and when it starts and flashes at you u wonder if the expense is worth the hassle. I was more concerned about the car after the alarm had been fitted!!!

Sorry to jump in, can anyone recommend a good alarm installation company in the Hampshire area ?

What part of Hampshire? I'm down in Portsmouth and would like any recommendations that anyone has for a reliable installer down and around there.

Autowatch are the most reliable alarms out there

i agree...ive got the same alarm..it was £235 fitted and has not let me down since...the only drawback is that you cant get the "add ons" like with clifford...(i always fancied the remote start for these bloody cold mornings!) :afro:

What other features are you after other than remote start? You can add a fair bit to the 160 RLi (the blue one). Apparently you can customise them when ordering it.

The thing with the cliffords is the more you add on to them, the more unreliable they become. When my concept 300 was torn out, it was huge and wires everywhere, including the silly thing you have to stick on the windscreen.... none of that junk with the AW 8)

I did love with the clifford the range on the alarm fobs though.. many fond memories of mates running back to get coats and stuff from out the car about 30 or 40 yards away and then locking the doors setting the alarm off as they try and tug on the door handle ;)

Brilliant! I think my system is an Autowatch - was fitted before I bought the car. Will check when I get back tonight. I thought it was a micky mouse make as I had never heard of it, so it's a relief to see good reviews on here. Mine doesn't switch on the interior light but does the full closure thing with sunroof and windows and is cat 1, will check which model it is. No problems with it, except when the neighbours cat had a thing with my car and kept setting it off - happily they have moved out now and taken the cat with them! :D

Yep, I recognise the Autowatch Owl logo on my alarm certificate from their website. That's good news.

Just been having a nose on the web and they are a South African firm and with security being big, big business there it seems like this is a good choice. Anybody remember the flame thrower device that a guy in SA came up with to prevent hijackings? He attached it to his BMW and when he pressed a button on his dash it sent out a 10 foot wall of flame out of the side of his car!!! Scary stuff - and he was trying to market it!

Ford, you just need a relay off the courtesy light output mate and then it will swith the light on for a minute when you disarm it. Handy at night!

LOL, mickey mouse no.... just not as widely publicised as Clifford etc. AW are the alarm installer's choice as they never get customers coming back complaining of false alarms. Mine's been in nearly a month now and it hasnt' gone off once. The Clifford 300 used to go off daily....POS!

Jboyslick, http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarms ... ch/160.htm

I'd heard good things about Autowatch as well.

Does anyone have experience of Laserline alarms?

Ford, you just need a relay off the courtesy light output mate and then it will swith the light on for a minute when you disarm it. Handy at night!

Thanks Kev, I will look into the courtesy light, I like the sound of that. Did you get stickers with yours i.e. to stick on the door window. There is nothing to say my car is alarmed, I wouldn't mind getting some autowatch ones just as a deterrent.