Sign in to follow this  
rayb74

Help me beef up my 2.0 16v !!!

I love my C but the only drawback is that it is SLOW........ I am not a boy racer but I got left for dead by a 1.6 pug the other day with 4 people in it !!

I am sure some of you hardcore peeps could give me a few pointers on how I could improve the situation.

Can I increase performance noticably for say £500 with the 9A engine?

depending what year it is? you could go for a decat pipe if it hasnt got one already?

and then theres the kr inlet cam,wur(warm up regulater) mod,this has to be done on a rolling road.

drilling the air box on the wing side,or having a cold feed with a panel filter.

all pretty cheap options,its the inlet cam and cat which kill the 9a :(

could go for some mildish cams rather than just swap the inlet for a kr one?

neil. :)

I'd get it checked over or rolling roaded first, as getting floored by a Pug 1.6 3 up shouldn't happen! (Nippy as they are). If all turned out to be well... what he said ^

Cheers,

Tom

Mine is similar. Only just started pulling away from a Ford Fiesta ZetecS this morning.

Fitting a KR inlet cam soon so I should be able to tell you the difference.

yeah good point TomB, a rolling road session with someone who knows what they are doing could give you more power and drivability.

just by checking things over and fettling the timing,and running optimax of course! 8)

neil.

rayb74,

Yeah, it's bad isn't it? My modded 1.8 16v often gets left behind by bog-standard Clios and 306's etc, especially accellerating up steep hills, when I am trying to use the ovetaking lanes.

If my revs are below 5,000 I have no pull whatsoever.

Once the revs rise I usually start to catch them up again, but they have pulled quite a few yards on me by then.

I have sorted the problem now though.... I bought a VR6 this morning!!

8)

im starting to wonder whats been done to my 1.8 16v before i bought it now, as it destroys many reasonably fast cars on road.. never had a boy racer upset me yet.

im going to take that comment back now, as my engine will probably blow up later... :( just my luck.

How can I get away with no cat at next mot?

Is the KR cam swap just that ? Are the existing valves used?

Keep me posted how you get on coullstar .... PM me if you want good luck with the mod !!!!

Edit : If you get bored of your vr6 jimbob sell it to me !!! :wink:

KR is just a straight swap for the 9a cam. You dont have to change anything else. Its got more lift IIRC and can some times add 10-20bhp and gives tha car a little more top and grunt as well.

from what you're saying about your lack of power it sounds like it's down on what it should be to me... might be worth getting a full check over before you start spending money on performance upgrades!

Mine turned out to be down on power from day one as it was running a KR bottom end with the 9A head and had a screwed crank shaft/pulley resulting it running 4 teeth out on the timing!!! 1 Year later and it's back to original spec with the correct bottom end and apparently goes like stink (not driven it myself yet :roll: )

You basicly can't get away with a de-cat pipe at MOT time so it's a case of having to swap back I'm afraid...

As for the KR cams I think they are a straight swap - something I plan to do to mine once I'm out of warrenty on the new engine.

thx for your replys guys,

My car is running very rich at the mo (im getting about 20 mpg on a good day) my petrol consumption seems to be getting progressively worse.

I notice that while driving when changing gears my revs seem to "stick" when I depress the clutch then start to drop!!!

I have replaced all my vacuum hoses and I have ordered a new Lambda sensor. Would a non operational ISV have the same effect? because it has power going to it but I cant hear it make ANY noise or vibration, but I dont get any major idle problems............

yep,the 9a inlet cam has a crap profile for the cat/emmisions,you can loose the cat if the car is a 92(j plate) or older and have no probs with mot. 8)

with your mpg and sticky revs problems,id get it on a rolling road m8.

give it a service first too,especially plugs and fuel filter,and the obvious oil etc...

it could drive totally diffarent just from a good setting up.

neil.

I've got the solution!!!

You could buy my 4 cyl turbo

manifold,60.60 T3/4 garret turbo,

KR inlet cam and blow those remaining

Cosworths,clio 16v(even if it's turboed)

into the weeds...Sound good?