Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Inept attempt at theft for a joyride I think (they had a half - hearted go at the ignition area as well) .

Nothing on display worth pinching (they went through the glove compartment too, discarding my spare fuel pump relay in disgust).

I'll get her sorted and back on the road. Already got the doors and window from a 16v that I found being broken. Less than £400 too fortunately! I'll start looking for body shops next week....

It's a nice day, so took her out for a drive, loving it. Especially whilst listening to a cassette 😆😆

Made a start on swapping the doors over in an attempt to make it drivable again!

Finished replacing the Rad and heater matrix which both went after replacing a low opening thermostat. Got away with it for 27 years so can't complain!!

3 hours ago, buttles said:

Finished replacing the Rad and heater matrix which both went after replacing a low opening thermostat. Got away with it for 27 years so can't complain!!

Good stuff - been there done that twice, one of longest and most annoying jobs.  Mine lasted nearly as long and the matrix only failed because the engine blew a top coolant hose.

Did you go for dash out or in? I did it dash in, but in hindsight for the small amount of extra work it's much easier out because there is much more access and room to work in.

9 hours ago, buttles said:

Yes,  good work. I have the thermostat to replace on mine,  but as I did the matrix as a preventative measure a few years ago,  I'm hoping to get away without similar issues.

I've just finished removing the driver's door on mine!

IMG_20210408_202654.jpg

On 4/8/2021 at 3:13 PM, fendervg said:

Good stuff - been there done that twice, one of longest and most annoying jobs.  Mine lasted nearly as long and the matrix only failed because the engine blew a top coolant hose.

Did you go for dash out or in? I did it dash in, but in hindsight for the small amount of extra work it's much easier out because there is much more access and room to work in.

I tried to do it dash in as was promised it could be done!. Not enough room on mine (late vr6) so bit the bullet and did the dash. It's a doddle to be honest, wish I'd gone straight for that method. You don't need to remove it, just pull it away from the screen a few inches. 3 nuts and the 2 side screws and bracket screw just to left of instrument binnacle.

1 hour ago, buttles said:

I tried to do it dash in as was promised it could be done!. Not enough room on mine (late vr6) so bit the bullet and did the dash. It's a doddle to be honest, wish I'd gone straight for that method. You don't need to remove it, just pull it away from the screen a few inches. 3 nuts and the 2 side screws and bracket screw just to left of instrument binnacle.

Yeah, that would be my take on it now - it's just that little bit too tight with the dash in,  and it's not an awful lot of extra effort to remove it.

53963ca799cac19fc50bf0867178fa02.jpg
Pushed it out into daylight, the first time in 6 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dox said:

Not all of I notice 😂😂

2 hours ago, Dox said:

So what are your plans with it Dox?

2 minutes ago, Cressa said:

So what are your plans with it Dox?

Strip and scrap, making room in the garage for my other one in the process

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Not all of I notice 😂😂

Outer wings were as rotten as the underneath, inner wings were cut out for a forum member

86966d5902b293c97e03a9bd84083b6a.jpg

Siblings in the late evening sunshine, 5 years since the DBP was my daily and 3 years parked outside have taken there toll

6 hours ago, Dox said:

Strip and scrap, making room in the garage for my other one in the process

Are you selling any bits off of it Dox. I’m after after a set of rear lights that aren’t scratched to death or haven’t been badly painted 🙏

5 hours ago, Dox said:

86966d5902b293c97e03a9bd84083b6a.jpg

Siblings in the late evening sunshine, 5 years since the DBP was my daily and 3 years parked outside have taken there toll

I had a Halfords cover on mine while I had it parked up on and off for 6 years. In fact I think I had 2 and that one was goosed when I took it off for the last time. They certainly stop the weather beating your paint and rubbers up. You do have to keep an eye on the weather though as it’s best to remove it for a bit if 70 mile an hour winds are coming, the car covers don’t like that high wind speed. 

5 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I had a Halfords cover on mine while I had it parked up on and off for 6 years. In fact I think I had 2 and that one was goosed when I took it off for the last time. They certainly stop the weather beating your paint and rubbers up. You do have to keep an eye on the weather though as it’s best to remove it for a bit if 70 mile an hour winds are coming, the car covers don’t like that high wind speed. 

Now the storm has been moved outside I'll have the opportunity to tidy up the garage and get the DBP inside where it belongs. The storm is shiny side up, but rotten underneath - you cant do anything underneath with out showers of rust all over you. The lights are not spoken for ATM - but there is interest in the boot complete. I do have another part set of 3 in the garage loft - I can't remember which one missing ATM

Finally fitted a stainless washer to the ARB drop link. Hopefully if it ever fails it can not spin round and rip my CV boot, again.

I love preventative maintenance .Top tip

Just need to do the other side sometime 20210618_115618.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cressa said:

Finally fitted a stainless washer to the ARB drop link. Hopefully if it ever fails it can not spin round and rip my CV boot, again.

I love preventative maintenance .Top tip

Just need to do the other side sometime 20210618_115618.jpg

Good idea

What’s the size of the washer 

I got 25mm x 8mm black Stainless washers, they look like it should work. Text me your address Shaun and I will post you a couple 😇

Started the VR6 today for the first time in over a year of lockdown!

Had turned the engine over plugs out on the crankshaft last week, and today put the battery back in and it fired straight back into life after just three turns of the engine, settling down to a nice steady idle. Quick turn round our cul de sac and some better parking (to make room for a skip lorry) and that was it. Alarm, radio, sunroof and both windows and central locking still working too.

Will go for a longer spin later on in the week, but that has cheered me up no end and will hopefully be some motivation towards getting back to working on and using. The car

It was nice to sit behind the wheel of a real car again!

7 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Started the VR6 today for the first time in over a year of lockdown!

Had turned the engine over plugs out on the crankshaft last week, and today put the battery back in and it fired straight back into life after just three turns of the engine, settling down to a nice steady idle. Quick turn round our cul de sac and some better parking (to make room for a skip lorry) and that was it. Alarm, radio, sunroof and both windows and central locking still working too.

Will go for a longer spin later on in the week, but that has cheered me up no end and will hopefully be some motivation towards getting back to working on and using. The car

It was nice to sit behind the wheel of a real car again!

nice work fender 😄

there really is no place quite like sat behind the steering wheel of a corrado!!

nice work fender
there really is no place quite like sat behind the steering wheel of a corrado!!

For sure - you tend to forget after a while. I’ve been stuck in a 2011 Verso d4d with a dying turbo for my sins! The horror.

25 minutes ago, Dogma said:

Picked up my reborn Corrado.

IMG_3591.thumb.jpg.7304cb392de2afe142f259be44763757.jpg

Ooo that looks pretty