Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Whats this forums opinion on the S2000?

I don't know if just this forum in general but I get the impression that people here have good unbiased opinions about cars.

I'm looking to replace my VR6 (still for sale BTW) with an more impracticle car :lol: I only do about 2-3k per year so practicality I can live without.

I'd narrowed my selection down to either a Lotus Elise 111s or a Honda S2000.

I was very keen on the Lotus for a while but I do spend time in London with work and I really don't want problems with parking and people breaking the clamshells or constant resprays. Also I think when I'm not in the mood the car could be a bit tiring.

The Honda on the other hand has good performance, Honda reliability and more creature comforts and I'm now leaning towards this instead. I know it's a bit 'hairdresserish' but I don't really care as I buy cars for performance and value rather than looks.

I've been lurking on the Honda forums and looking for common faults and whilst there are a few they seem relatively bulletproof, though some may burn some oil.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give. My budget is semi flexible and my main criteria is a low mileage car that will not depreciate quickly. This probably put's me in the 99, 00 years of car.

What do you guys reckon to them? How does the real world performance stand up?

Cheers

AFAIK they are good performers, however the lack of traction control could lead to some tail out moments. Not so good in the wet!?

Will you be going on any track days?

that about all I can offer, they are border line Toni and Guy for me - but I think they do look the part. There is a mean looking one in met black in the car park at work. Looks the dogs!

Good luck

Lippy

I get the impression that people here have good unbiased opinions about cars.

Cr@p. Peice of Honda Junk. Corrados and VW rule. The best cars in the world..... see, how's that for unbiased? LOL! :lol:

Seriously though, I love the S2000, espeically in black or anthracite.

Don't worry about it being hairdressy because it isn't. It's a proper sports car and designed to a convertible from day one, unlike the TT which is a Golf MK4 with it's roof cut off.

It's also, in my opinion, one of the best looking convertibles I've seen in ages. Certainly better looking than that hideous Z4.

Oil useage - if you're used to a VR6, then it won't be a problem. VTECs do use a lot of oil and I think it even tells you in the manual as such and to check it weekly!!

Nice cars.....240bhp, RWD, drop top.... what more could you want?

Jeremy Clarkson swears by them mate - on Top Gear he highlighted that out of 50 million VTEC units made, Honda had a record of 0 failures.

My mate has one and absolutely loves it (£14k), he drives like an old woman so regularly gets spanked by another mate in a clio 172 but I think thats the point. mega pose if you dan't want to rake it but the fun factor is always witing under your right foot.

my 1.3p :wink:

I do quite like the S2000, as honda's go it's a nice looking motor. Also very tunable.

'99 - '00 With the 111s would that give you the new shape or is that still in the old shape. I very nearly bought a new shape Lotus Elise and if those years or your budget puts you in the new whape then get the Lotus.

I personally think the new Elise is a stunning car and not one you'd ever get tired of! Around london, it's a smaller car so got to be a bit easier and definatly more of a head turner!

However if it's the old shape, it's DEFINATLY a Girls car. The front is not aggressive enough for me for a Lotus!

I dont like it cos its a Honda. Prefer the 350z.

A friend of mine test drove the Z and said it reminded him alot of the Corrado.

I wanted to punch him, but let him off, cos i know he was trying to pay the C a compliment.

Will you be going on any track days?

Unlikely to be doing trackdays. The thought is tempting but I can do track days on my supermoto for £50 so the idea of spending £150+ doesn't really appeal.

I imagine the S2000 could do track time pretty well, perhaps not as well as the Lotus but it's not really a deciding factor for me!

Drove my directors S2000, very nice car, good driving position, quality build and sounded great once you got it spinning above 6k which is where all the power lies. Took me a while to get used to not changing at 6k. If you like high revving motors then this is the one.

I don't like revvy VTEC engines as much as I like lazy muscular engines, but the styling of the S2000 is certainly not to be sniffed at.. and as its a Honda, well, its not going to be badly made is it :)

Has to be a winner.. lovely looks, holds its value very well, and not sold as a nice unique sports car and consequently driven by reps all over the place like the Audi TT's, etc etc.

With regards to the Elise.. well I have driven one of those and it was tremendous fun. Very very quick, nice soundtrack and superb grip. The seriously short shift box and cramped cabin was not too pleasant though and for that reason i'd never consider it as a daily driver.. NOT practical!

i drove an s2000 and it felt very understeery!! that engine gets a bit boring aswell and the dash is fun for 5 mins.

apart from that its a great looking car....

oh one other thing!.... you not big as in tall or wide?? cause if you are you will get very tired of never having enough room!!! smallest bloody cabin in the world!!

I must say I do like the S2000 as well. I'd rather have an S2 Elise because I like the raw-mentality of it, but the Honda is by far the more sensible option although it might be a bit more thirsty. It looks good, it's comfortable, it's convertible, it's reliable and it'll be a lot cheaper than an Elise to maintain.

Ive driven all of them with my last but one car being a y reg 3.0 v6 24v alfa spider convertible. I had this car for just over a year, but before buying it tried lotus, bmw, honda, porsche, mercedes and the vauxhall. Personally i found the honda very hard work around town and felt like i was really ranting the engine to get any response from it (that'll be the vtec engine!). Nice sporty drive and the one i looked at was black with leather and a hard top. Definately go for a hard top if its an everyday driver, both of the two convertibles Ive had've both been tampered with and this hard top is essential for the winter months. Twice been stung with approaching summer months, lets p/x the car and buy a convertible, dont get me wrong driving a convertible in the summer with the roof down is absolutely fantastic and I will get another, but only as a substititute for the summer. If its all year round dont forget the merc 230 or 300 for holding its value and all year use. Also consider the vauxhall it whips the ass off the lotus, larger engine and rarer, yeah I know its a vauxhall, but if its an occasional driver go for it! Alfa will be quicker again with the bhp 3litre and so much torque, but depends what ur into! Hope this advise helps :twisted: :lol:

Cheers guys -

Porche - I know they're good cars but not interested in service costs or depreciation

Alfa - not my thing. I want reliabilty and again.. low depreciation

Mercs - erm.. really not my thing and probably out of budget.... and erm... depreciation!

Vx220 - I did consider this but I just prefer the looks of the Lotus.

The lotus is pretty much out the running now. I'm pretty much set on the S2000. I need to test drive one and see how I get on with the engine. I used to have a Honda Crx VTi (1.6 160hp VTEC) and loved the driving experience. I also love driving the VR6 but I find thrashing the engine more challenging and rewarding.

What about an E36 M3 Convertible?

I drove one last night and it was a bloody riot, loved every minute of it! The grunt is amazing...it literally tears off down the road right from idle and doesn't stop pulling till 8000rpm, a useable rev range Honda can only dream about. VANOS is the way to go. Awesome cars.

I didn't detect any significant scuttle shake either.

They're a bit boy racer now due to their falling prices but find a cared for minter and I don't think you'll have an image problem. Plus it's a proper 'man size' convertible with performance that will humble all of the cars mentioned so far.

I'd try one before discounting it, you might be surprised and it looks so much better than the S2000 with the roof down too, imo.

The M3 doesn't do anything for me. I'm not actually looking for a convertible. The fact that the S2000 has a drop top is just a bonus. I will be getting a hard top for the winter months though.

I was considering the M3 some time ago and I've decided against one. i can't get over the image and the service bills.

I don't need out and out performance. To be honest a 328 would probably be enough. I just want a good well balanced car which will be fun to drive for me, not cost a bomb to run or maintain and not depreciate like a stone. I also quite like the S2000's 'grey man' image. I don't need to draw attention to myself when I'm driving. Thats partly what I like about the corrado.

PS - I know there's M3 in hardtop form available

I also quite like the S2000's 'grey man' image. I don't need to draw attention to myself when I'm driving. Thats partly what I like about the corrado.

LOL, if you want to blend into the hoards of other motorists, why not just get an Octavia RS? You can't get a gorgeous looking car like the S2000 and expect to be a part of the scenery.

Same with the Corrado, it's never been a car people don't look at....even now.

Anyway, sounds like you're sold on the S2000, best get yourself out for some test runs and try a few because the performance varies from Civic to Civic (Type R), so it may do with the 2000s as well. Don't want you buying a sluggish lemon!

Jeremy Clarkson swears by them mate - on Top Gear he highlighted that out of 50 million VTEC units made, Honda had a record of 0 failures.

That's only when under warranty though isn't it?

How about a nissan sx200 s14 Touring?

Turbo 200bhp+

get change from £5000

easier to tune

RWD

not convertible but they will most likely have a/c

very understated car and a vast improvement from the spaceship s13 model.

I like the S2000 its a good quality alternative to the boxster, however you might be able to get an S3 for the same money which id be more inclined to go for.

Don't get me wrong the S2G is a better buy than a TT150/180 but Id still be inclined to go for an S3 over both the Honda and lotus.

That's only when under warranty though isn't it?

From what I've heard/read, Honda have not reported any VTEC timing units beaking, but a number of engines have let go though.

My VTi CRX never needed topped up and never skipped a beat. It was not far off the pace of my friends VR6 Golf highline either. Great car.

The speed sensor failed (mechanical) which stopped the VTEC working and was a pain to replace as it was a JDM part but other than that the car was superb.

I think VTEC engines are something you love or hate. I remember on my test drive feeling ill as the guy reved past 5k. It just seemed unnatural and I like the Jekyl and Hyde type power delivery. It's like a pootling car and a race car in one.

Kev - I see your point about getting attention. I would compare the S2000 to the boxter or the Z3 and I think those cars do have an image.

Z3 - Womans car

Boxter - not a 911 :wink:

S2000 - erm.. nice lines!

(I do actually like boxters but would not like running costs, depreciation etc..)

Z3 - Womans car

You wouldn't see a woman in an MZ3 Coupe! That E30 based rear axle and 320bhp scares the bajesus out of a lot of men, let alone women!

But yeah, the Z3 convertible is a bit of a soggy can. Nice looking though and it did spawn a whole new generation of compact roadsters, paralleled only by the MX5 (at the time).

Boxter - not a 911 :wink:

It's not but it's still a fantastic car in it's own right and not supposed to be a 911 rival. It just unfortunately earned a reputation of being a poor man's porsche by the narrow minded people that can't afford ANY porsche, let alone a Boxster!

S2000 - erm.. nice lines!

See, you're definitely itching to get down to a Honda dealer! Do it, before your head changes your heart's mind!!

Ok ok, will you just got and buy the S2000 or I'm gonna lock the thread :lol:

mainly out of jealousy

:lol: Oi Haywire... :p

i agree just buy the s200, great looking car very fast and probably pretty economical considering the performance!

on the subject of z3's looked the buisness! 3.0 wasnt bad but the smaller engined models were so so slow. M coupe now were talking serious speed out of a breadvan!