Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

ABS light on

hi - had my g60 brake setup installed last week and now the abs light stays on from start! is there a way to see if its an electronic fault and the abs is actualy working?

You could go really fast & then brake really hard. If it skids, it's not working! ;)

When you did the conversion, did the light come straight on, or has it only just started doing it?

err... don't remove the bulb, get it fixed.

It's an MOT failure item, which means it's unroadworthy, so if you have an accident and hurt/kill someone as a result of faulty brakes, your insurance company will walk away. You will walk into court.

best wishes

RB

It's an MOT failure item, which means it's unroadworthy, ......................................

then surely the car should not even be on the road now.

theRuler, yup. Technically if the car is in a condition where it will not pass an MOT you are driving it illegally, valid certificate or not... Your insurance is unlikely to pay out in the event of an accident if the car was obviously not in a state where it would not pass an MOT... However, if they can prove that any accident wasn't the cause of (or caused by) the ABS breaking, you must have been doing something very silly for them to have investigated it that fully! ;) :|

Good luck with the ABS, mines been a problem for months and cost be a couple hundred quid and it's still not sorted.

daves16v, what have they done? There's only a few things that go wrong with them... :|

the electrical sensors, wiring faults, the mechanical rotors (becoming damaged, full of dirt or loose), the pump or its internal valves (that's the only expensive one) or the ECU (can be expensive, but normally cheaply repairable)

Anything else is just the same as a normal hydraulic brake system as fitted on just about every other car...

IIRC VAG want about £400 for a new pump... :| Second hand ones are cheaper though...

I have no idea if bosch can repair 'em, but it wouldn't suprise me if they could... ;)

yes that's your ABS pump...

(your thumbnail has gotten confused 'cos you've used a file name that's already got a thumbnail associated with it... call the pic ABS4739210.jpg and re-attach it and you'll get the correct thumbnail)

(that was random hittage on the keyboard for the number by the way... ;) )

is it an expensive part to have changed...as in is it days or hours of work?

(( not the sort of thing i would try myself! ))

should only be a couple of hours to change it as long as none of the pipes get damaged when removing it... problem tends to be bleeding the system afterwards takes a while and can be a royal pain in the ass... (just ask PhatVr6... :| )

The part ain't cheap though and is different on most models of Corrado... :|

I had a problem with my ABS light coming on (and staying on) intermittently while driving and it turned out to be the brake pedal travel sensor. This fixed the problem but then a few months later I've now started getting the light coming on every now and then when I start the car, but if I switch off and try again it is normally ok. Seems like a different problem to last time as with this problem it never comes on while driving only when starting up, where as before it would normally come on whilst driving. Any ideas?