Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

coming on very nice mate, what happened to sending the charger to BBM did it wotk out to much money. I like thecnc machine they use to port the charger very precise. How is the charge cooler working?

i cants WAIT to see this baby purr!

you going to post some videos when shes done? I think most of us would like to hear as well as see her in action :)

That's the plan although the microphone on the camera is pretty crud, I have had it running before although 1st time the head gasket didn't seal (copper one) and 2nd time one of the idlers was rubbing on the water pump pulley making an awful chirping sound.

Drew, the charge cooler is on the nugget and is working well, although it didn't get the oil temps down as I hoped.

As for the charger rebuild, the replacement one I had to source from fleabay was not as good as I would have hoped for so I decided against spending the extra on the BBM work. The one I damaged is only on the scroll and as these are available from BAR-Tek. I intend to get a replacement and then get the BBM work done on the casing, although that is a very long term plan :)

After a day in the garage I finally started the car again about 40 minutes ago, no leaks and the rev counter works now so I now know the idle was bit low before (adjusted up to about 850rpm now). Bit of tappet noise but it has been a year since it was last run so that's only to be expected and it cleared straight away.

Unfortunately I need a slightly shorter belt as the alt is banging on the bottom of the charger oil return bolt, this is reverberating around the whole engine so it's impossible to listen for any other running problems. I also ended up playing with the pulleys again as I had ordered a later style flat pulley that the 8v use for the water pump. I am not sure if running this and the V-belt drive is causing some issues but again I will have a fiddle tomorrow with different bits fitted and see what happens.

Priortity now is to get the belt length right so I can confirm that there are no other things I need to look at, the aim is to get it ready for tax and MOT for April.

Cheers folks.

Right been fiddling again today. After a trawl of the Gates catalogue yesterday evening I popped into Halfords to see if they had a suitable size belt, unfortunately not. So I tried Partco today and no luck with them either. So it was off to VW and I should have a 6PK1263 belt as used on a MK 4 R32 without aircon on Tuesday evening. My previous belt length was 1285mm so at 22m shorter this should give me the right belt length.

Did some invest into pulleys and noises (torque checks etc) and thanks to the joys of aftermarket parts my BBM crank ribbed belt pulley has been rubbing on the lower cam cover, this has worn as much of the pulley as it has the cam cover :roll: No real damage done though so I have had the cover off and re-profiled it with a dremmel.

After having a quick poke around in the engine bay I spotted a couple of pools of coolant, some furthur investigation revealed that the 2 x bolts on the side of the cylinder head holding the Blue temp sender and gauge temp sender housing were very loose. These have now been re-torqued but I am going to keep an eye on them as they are stainless and may be losing torque through heat cycles.

Right, belt collected this morning and fitted, nice and tight now so that's good and not too much of a pain to replace it when it needs doing.

So then it was fire it all up and back it out onto the drive for set-up. No major issues aside from the radiator needs replacing, it was a second hand one) and a couple of weeps of fluid from the coolant temp sensors on the side of the head.

Proceded to get it all up to temp and then onto timing set-up and CO mixture adjustment, all done and dusted with ease and the timing is now bang on 6 deg BTDC at 2250 rpm, idle is around 800 rpm and CO is currently sitting a little high in setup mode (ok for an MOT though) but this will need tweaking with a better bit of measuring kit.

The decided to have a compression check to confirm all the cylinders are healthy, plugs were very sooty (not suprising given I have had to tweak the mixture quite a bit and the timing was way off) so they were cleaned up. Compression is good only .2 of a bar variation across all 4 cylinders and its a minimum of 8 bar with the throttle closed, so good healthy numbers for a freshly built engine that's not run-in yet.

Need to check out the alternator output as it didn't seem to be charging the battery - job for tomorrow now as the battery is on charge to top it back up. Then investigate a wider radiator solution as I feel the stock G60 unit might be running outside of it's limits with this setup..

Not got any new videos or pictures as it keeps raining and was trying to get it all done quickly, will do it next time I back it out onto the drive.

WOW 8)

Can recomend the Rallye/VR6 rad, only prob is it can overcool in the winter, I struggle to get temps above 76C, even with the intercooler strapped in from of it. Been thinking of covering it partly with cardboard to get the temp up :lol:

WOW 8)

Can recomend the Rallye/VR6 rad, only prob is it can overcool in the winter, I struggle to get temps above 76C, even with the intercooler strapped in from of it. Been thinking of covering it partly with cardboard to get the temp up :lol:

Heh, it would be the 1st G60 in history that suffers from overcooling! Although I didn't go for the G60 A/C radiator, it won't fit with the boost pipework where it is, at 675mm core size it is huge.

It should be ok, the oil cooler is on a thermostat and I have left the factory thermostat in the water pump and it's not suppost to open until 87 deg C to let water into the radiator.

Still waiting on my new VR radiator arriving, hopefully it will pitch up today and I get the prep work done it (cooling fans and brackets fitted etc) then depending on the weather it will out tomorrow and swap the radiator over and change the oil etc whilst I am making big puddles.

yeah my water temps can be in that region with the VR rad but my oil temps are bang on.

The only worry might be running slightly rich if the ecu still thinks 7x degrees is still warm up conditions.

I wouldn't of thought so though..

yeah my water temps can be in that region with the VR rad but my oil temps are bang on.

The only worry might be running slightly rich if the ecu still thinks 70 degrees is still warm up conditions.

I wouldn't of thought so though..

Digifant values for a warm engine are 60 deg C of water temp so even with a VR radiator it won't be a problem and the water thermostat should be opening and closing to compensate too.

Need to run the earth strap from the back of the cylinder head to the coil, I suspect this is what is throwing my in car Volts reading off; if not then it's time to look at the other earth points and see which one is playing up as the alternator is working just fine.

I thought it was 80 degrees C Yan??

Alternator - have a look at the blue lead - if this is not connected then it will not charge the battery...

Is that Air Con rad now spare?

I must admit I though it was 80 degrees as well Yan. However 60 degrees would explain why people with the 70 degree thermostats aren't running with it on the 'cold' setting all the time.

I thought it was 80 degrees C Yan??

Alternator - have a look at the blue lead - if this is not connected then it will not charge the battery...

Is that Air Con rad now spare?

Nope I did check the Self Study guide before quoting that figure, it is 60 degrees.

I don't a G60 aircon radiator and I did it would go on the G60 :)

As for the alt, it is charging ok, I checked the output a couple of days ok and it's doing what it is supposed to. As for the blue wire, some assumptions there Steve, I do still have one but it is now connected to a 2 pin alternator (dash warning light is working as advertised). However, the sat nav unit in the car which always gave me a good accurate reading prior to the engine swap in volts is now a bit under, so the only thing it can be is bad earths causing too much resistance in the wiring loom - not a massive headache as there are only a couple of place to look at!

Thanks for verifying Yan. I am one of those with a 70 degree thermostat, and it always concerned me a bit where the 'hot' and 'cold' running changeover was.

Little update:

VR6 radiator is too wide and fouls on the alternator casing so that's no good. Luckily I have a new genuine G60 radiator spare so that has been going on today until rain has stopped play (yes it's in a garage but I have put the car with the engine at the door end so I could work with more room and the garage door open)

Just need to plumb the bottom hose back in, refit the PAS pump bracket that cover the thermostat area and then refil with fluids. I am aiming to get the front end back on tomorrow if the weather is ok and hopefully get the last bit of the wiring loom tidied up. Then it's make a couple of right angled brackets for the oil catch tank and oil cooler, refit the arch liners and that's about it for now until an MOT.

All plumbing is now back together post radiator change, started first turn of the key, idles nicely and no leaks so it's all good. New radiator is making a huge difference, took ages to the coolant fan to kick in, although it was all working as expected when it did finally hit the magic temperature.

Got most of the slam panel refitted and it has a grille and a set of lights in it for the first time in a few years. Aim tomorrow is get up early and watch the F1 then crack on with the front end rebuild.

Made a short video..

[youtube:10zcv1kg]ALJWicBTcmw[/youtube:10zcv1kg]

That looks like a very tidy install youve put together there Yan,i know its not exactly an off the shelf job so hats off to you..

Thanks for the generous comments folks.

More progress today although I didn't get started until well after lunch :(

Few odd and sods jobs done and dusted but spent most of the time tidying what's left to tidy of the main wiring loom, it ended up taking a lot longer than I would have liked (had to keep re-routing various bits of wire) but it looks fairly good now so I just need to wrap it all up.

Still need to get the bumper back on but am aiming to do that post wiring wrapping in the morning, still need to fabricate a couple of support brackets for the oil cooler, catch tank and ISV along with finding somewhere to mount the horn.

If it all goes as planned tomorrow then I will be booking an MOT for later in the week....