Sign in to follow this  
gradeAfailure

Spit And Polish wheel refurbers - AVOID!

They use metal hooks to hang the wheels which leave gouges in the inner faces of the wheels, and they "don't count the rear face and inside of the wheels as part of the refurbishing process"...

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

I wasn't told of either of these points by the intermediary (North Hants Tyres, Fleet) before sending my wheels away; and had I known, I would have not entrusted them with the work.

Needless to say I shall be speaking to my local CAB regarding compensation... :mad:

Cheers for the heads up mate.

BGV engineering didn't bother getting in touch with me, and neither did Spit or Swallow actually.

In the end, I found a company called 'Pristine' that came out today and collected 4 of my speedos for refurb. I have no idea what they're like, but it's only a set of OE 15s being done, so I'm not after mega mintness. Just something neat and respectable.

I'll post up the results and company details when I get them back.

I've heard good things about Pristine in the past, but they're not the cheapest of the bunch. I got a quote for my old speedlines some time back and found that buying some good condition but used ones was cheaper by quite a long way, even factoring in paying someone to refit all my tyres and such.

Ah that's good news then....Pristine are £44.50 per wheel when finished in standard 'sparkle' silver.

That isn't cheap I agree, but if they do a good job then it's worth it imo.

Have had a copy of sets done there.... BBS RM's with the rim polished and a set of Esterols with a diamond cut finish. A mate had a set of Esterols done too. All came back spotless and like new, also very well packaged.

Hmmm. I've been trying to keep my Storm tidy and had the alloys refurbished last Aug by a company in Bristol. Not knowing where to go to get recomendations I used them as they always have 'new' cars in for paint repairs etc. They charged £50 a wheel +vat and I was happy with the work but there are imperfections starting to show up now.

Should I expect that with refurbishings well used alloys (110k, only car so used in all werather etc. etc.) or should I take them back and ask them to do them again?? (put balancing weights on the inside this time......)

How bad are the imperfections?

The BBS Solitudes are terrible for paint bubbling. The front wheels flick up stones which get thrown onto the rear wheels, causing chips, which subsequently causes paint lifting when the wheel gets wet. As I say, the Solitudes are among the worst VW wheels I've seen for this. External counter weights causes paint lifting too as you say, so always get them put on the inside.

You can try getting them done again but they may not do it due to "normal wear and tear" disclaimers. Was the work warranted? Get Pristine to do them if you don't get anywhere. I have a spare set of Solitudes you can have to get done if you want, which saves you having to take your current ones off. They can collect from me, refurb, and drop off to you. It's up to you....PM me if intersted.

The Speedlines tend to hold together better for longer.

My Speedlines have just been delivered from Pristine and I've been told they look factory new.

Will look for myself later and post pics up.

Total price for 4 wheels and 4 centre caps was £225 inc VAT.

As promised, an example of Pristine's work. I am gobsmacked. They're as new! All 3 sides painted and a 3 day turn around, collected and delivered to an address of your choice. Excellent service. Not cheap at £225 inc VAT for 4 Speedos, but well worth it and they're probably among the best refurbers out there.

Pics not totally indicative of the quality, trust me, they are MUCH better in the flesh, but hopefully you'll get an idea. Notice the packaging too, wheels individually wrapped and boxed.

Yeah it's mainly the flash and also they used a standard finished called 'Sparkle' silver, hence the err, sparkling from the flash, LOL!#

As I say, they look a LOT better in the flesh....

As I say, they look a LOT better in the flesh....

errrm not being picky or anything but..you know what im gonna say dont you :lol:

do look good though 8) even better in the METAL im sure :lol:

LOL....I shall be bringing one to inters as an example :wink:

yeah they don't sparkle like that in the flesh, it's just the flash....but my mate who took delivery of them and knows nothing about cars rang me and said they look brand new, LOL!

Well if ya there sunday, ill have a look at this top workmanship and compare it too fat wheels..hopefully should have wheel back early part of next week.