Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

Which Car

what do you think? which would you go for  

32 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think? which would you go for

• Seat Leon TDI FR (brand new)
    • Merc C200 CDI (second hand)

Okay as you all know the jet was sold, and im in the market for a new motor. I was 100% set on the Seat Leon but, i was at the merc dealers yesterday with my dad looking at various models. (for him) Anyway

I spotted a C class coupe in my price range

I like the Leon its a great drive, but at the end of the day it a cheap car to maintain and run. if not a bit cheap on the trim. but its fully loaded with toys.

However, the C Class merc is also loaded up, a lot better quality, but more expensive to run. but does the merc say old man. The driving postition is great, just like the Corrado, legs out in front of you rather than dangleing over a seat. ace. dash is amazing.

oh and i'll be doing 22k a year.

see? unanimous! its gota be a leon! i drov one of those mercs at bmw, wasnt impressed, seem a bit girly too.

the leon at least has street cred. and in the gun metal there's no contest

Merc.... but not in red.

I don't know what the fuss is with Leons, they're a bit over-rated imo. It's just a MK4 Golf...only not made aswell as a MK4 Golf.

The merc is just a lot more classy, better looking, better made, RWD, quieter and german. What more could you want?

I'd be apprehensive about Mercs.. heard all kinds of terrible things about quality issues on newer models..

technically if the leon is a mk4 golf then its german too? :D

if it was a different merc i;d say yeah but that model is just foul

True...but put together buy drunken Spaniards that have like 3 hour lunch breaks :D

Yeah, admittedley the Merc is a bit ugly from the back....looks OK from the other angles tho.

okay the pics are purely for visual looks The merc is a kompressor and i cant afford to run that at 22k miles a year. I DONT like that red at all. but the merc's interior is so good.

As for the remarks about the leon, the leon is far better kitted out that a golf, and the switchs for windows are in far better positions imho. The tip tronic style auto on the merc is areal want factor at the mo. I really need to drive the Merc though. i was impressed with the Leon. Thing is, the Merc with last longer, and keep its money far better.

what ever car i have im after it in BLACK or Gun metal.

If i drove up to a Leon FR it say boy racer, in a merc is more stylish. im totally torn at the mo

I'll say it again 968 Club Sport.

Actually i'm loving the VR get a VR6!

This is a Corrado forum after all

If you want something for wacking the miles on may I suggest a 95-98 BMW E36 328i Sport.

The Leon is a tractor and the Merc will receive more scratches then womens boxing!

i prefer the merc.

the leon is a good car, but is a bit of a munter to look at.

reminds me of an old daewoo - the one that looked like an astra. but with rover 400 headlights. what a combo

but they go well. so long as you dont mind the b pillar being in front of you

I'd go for the Merc TBH. It will run forever, it looks a lot nicer, and you won't suffer the hideous depreciation involved in buying a new car.

Good luck whatever you choose though,

Tom

i say go for the merc. looks better, as you say driving position spot on, all round i think (i know) it will be a better car.

Yeah, the Merc; nice set of AMG wheels and you're set...

I'd personally never buy a brand new car unless I'd won the lottery - that initial depreciation before it's even turned a wheel would make me cry...!

Yeah, the Merc; nice set of AMG wheels and you're set...

I'd personally never buy a brand new car unless I'd won the lottery - that initial depreciation before it's even turned a wheel would make me cry...!

Same here. It'd be nice to own a new car simply because you'd then know how its been treated.. ie, not owned by some nobber and thrashed from the second the key was turned.

But the sheer amount of money you lose, JUST so that you can have the latest 05 plate to 'annoy the neighbours' just doesn't make much sense to me!

Personally I think you're nuts to buy a new car unless you're going to run it for 5+ years. Unless it's only just out and still in high demand and you can mitigate the depreciation.

I totally agree, but im sure i can get a brand new one cheaper than there demostrator. If i go for the Seat i'll let you know if it works.

By the time im ready for a ne motor im hoping the new Leons launch date is confirmed. Might wait for that as it has the DSG box.