Sign in to follow this  
niko

Dynoed my 3.0l, 268 schricked, ported etc vr6 and....

....was a bit dissapointed with the result.

The engine has everything done to it that a non-force induction vr6 engine can have.

JE forged pistons 83.5mm 11:1cr, ported head ( standard valves). ported vw Motorsport VSR (with schrick vgi module) AND lower intake, 23lb injectors, schricjk 268 cams, Hartmann exhaust manifold, ported tb and 70mm complete exhaust, CAI, etc etc

http://www.locomail.com/niko/mycorradow ... 30dyno.jpg

the exact figures are being emailed to me from the garage where a chip was burnt. But it look like only about 153kw ( 205hp) at 5700rpms and 275nm ( 203lb/ft) torque at 3700.

the dynoe chart was taken with the switch over point of the vgi/vsr at 4300rpm.

The "BUT's" are that the engine has only about 500-700km on it since the rebuild some 2-3 years ago ( did a rhd to lhd conversion in the meantime), so might not have loosened up completely and that some of the fuel in the tank was therefore of that age, (though I doubt it would matter much). The 200km to the rolling road garage was the first outing since decembre 2001! :shock: )

Still she handles great and puts down the power reasonable well so I'm a happy camper overall.

feel free to browse through my as of yet totally unorganized conversion pics folder

http://www.locomail.com/niko/mycorradoweb/myconversion/

Cheers,

niko

the funlander

hmm thats not massive power for all those mods.

i had a schrick vgi and got 199bhp with equal torque

hope it imporves for you as the engine runs in

It's also worth noting that the Shrick manifold and cams don't actually produce a huge amount more power, but they do seriously bulk out the torque curve, especially lower down the rev range.

Agree with Chrishill, the fuel will be past it, i'm suprised it even runs that well....

I reckon with a fresh tank of optimax you may see another 20-30 bhp...

Vince has seen a VR lose about 30hp with cr@p fuel in the tank....so I wouldn't be surprised if that's a contributing factor.

If it's not that, back to the drawing board with some other checks as I'd expect a VR of that spec to produce around 240bhp.

Also worth running an error code scan, if you've not done so already...

not yet. My laptop is out of order.

I do have a couple of mystery engine loom cables I need to find a home for.... :lol:

I'll dynoe her again in a couple of months when she's loosened up...

I'm guessing thats 205bhp at the wheels? I'm getting 206bhp with very similar spec, i don't have uprated injectors but i do have big valves (exhaust and inlet), 3.0l mahle pistons (11.1comp), 284e and 278i cams and a knife edged crank.

Based on the above, i reckon the pain experienced fitting my shrick manny and 268's was well worth it. I got 218bhp and 230lbs or torque - i reckon it will push 220bhp now it's been run in and had a full service.

Next on the hit list is the supersprint 6 branch manifold at the bargain price of £550...Watch this space...

Niko - hope you see improved gains with a new tank of juice.

Joe M - no, dubsport. I haven't been able to scan the plot yet as the old boys scanner is fooked.

Why 223.5bhp "suspected"?......

The most I've seen a 3.0 do here in the states is 190 to the wheels, but that was with a stock manifold.

Niko Unleaded fuel doesn't age well at all, try firing up a mower with last seasons fuel in it, not as easy as new stuff!!

well I managed 260km/h with a little still to go according to the speedo ( lying bastard I know...the speed that is) with fresh fuel so I think all is well now...:-)

Joe M - no, dubsport. I haven't been able to scan the plot yet as the old boys scanner is fooked.

Cool, I was just wondering as the torque figure is pretty high and thats something ive only seen before for a vr with this spec from amd's rollers.

Mine made something like 205lb/ft.

Why 223.5bhp "suspected"?......

Old engine made 223.5bhp, but I destroyed it and had to get it replaced, cams and maifold etc were swapped over and the new engine feels smoother and more powerful than the old one, hence 223.5+ suspected.

my old 2.9 got 211 bhp at stealth with just a ported head/ram filter and a remap

Interesting. The engines prepared for VR6 racing in the UK supposedly come with a guaranteed 220bhp - without a Shrick. They are blue-printed, ported and gas-flowed ti b*gg*ry mind.

Custom mapping will help a bit, but bear in mind you are making over 50 more bhp than a stock 2.8 vr6. The biggest all motor dyno was about 220hp. You still running a stock head?

Interesting. The engines prepared for VR6 racing in the UK supposedly come with a guaranteed 220bhp - without a Shrick. They are blue-printed, ported and gas-flowed ti b*gg*ry mind.

I doubt they would have that much done. The reason the Corrado VR, BMW 328i, Merc 220 Kompressor etc were all under 200bhp is because of German insurance. Back then, over 200bhp bumped up the premium a lot, but that's all changed now. So they just restricted the inlets on the ABV engine...narrow throttle, very mild cams and cr@p inlet manifold etc etc. And the 328i also got a rubbish manifold as standard to throttle the output.....90s Subaru Imprezas had partially blocked front pipes for similar reasons. Take them off and you liberate 30-40hp straight away.

Anyway, get the standard junk off a VR and fit the VGI etc and you get 220+ without going anywhere near a flow bench and air tools.

Anything over that is expensive and pointless as you then reach the engine's flow limitations.....in which case you just lash a charger or turbo on. The VR is good for 300hp in standard build.

Is it possible that standart ABV engine can produce 200.7 bhp ?

Storm has Nice figures BTW....

Easily.... we have a member's car that made 212bhp in standard trim.

Mine made 200bhp and 193lb/ft at 73,000 miles , 199bhp and 190lb/ft at 120,000 miles and similar runs in between, so they're fairly consistent.

Although VW capped the ABV engine's output, you still get good ones and bad ones and 10hp difference hear and there is within tolerance.....

Look at the OBD2 2.8 engine...they usually always give 190bhp but VW quoted 174.....restricted and under-estimated at the same time.....crazy germans....