Sign in to follow this  
DaveVR6

audi TT/Golf4 Clock transplant

Im toying with the idea of changing the clock pod in my vr6 so it uses either golf 4 or audi tt clocks. Was wondering if anyone has tried this before and any suggestions or tips available

Ive got a spare vr6 clock pod to play with (hopefully!), thinking of using that as a basis and matching and transplanting in each element one at a time. The main prob I think will be the displays as i know that the central one (on a golf 4) is dot matrix.

Anyway, any suggestions, ideas, experiences would be much appriciated. cheers

zarman does a set of Audi TT esque gauges for the 'rado which you might like. They aint cheap tho...

it'd probably have to be V6 gauges you'll use, but i cant see them fittin up very nice as they'll be the wrong size and shape, and i dunno if J will be too keen answering your Q's cause he didnt answer me :cry:

Dub Style, cool. Any how-to on this? whose car is it from, anyone on the forum?

i assume if you have a mk4 golf engine then it would be easier to put the dials in with it as apposed to connecting the raddo ones?

well yteah, JBS would of used the whole loom to the clocks.

mk4 clocks have the immobiliser circuit in them and 2 wiring sockets ont he back, both of different fit to the corrado.

even if you get that workin, the immobiliser will be damnt annoying. and if you find a way around that.

let me know! :lol::lol::lol:

I have a set of golf 4 clocks that a friend has donated to the project. Once I inside them and have a look at the wiring ill know more.

Will keep you posted!

well yteah, JBS would of used the whole loom to the clocks.

mk4 clocks have the immobiliser circuit in them and 2 wiring sockets ont he back, both of different fit to the corrado.

even if you get that workin, the immobiliser will be damnt annoying. and if you find a way around that.

let me know! :lol::lol::lol:

Apparently AMD can get around this! In PVW last month, a guy wrote in saying that he had got AMD to bypass the whole immobiliser problem when he fitted a 20vT into a Mk2 Golf. Might be worth a phone call!

i think with that,t he engine wouldnt of been able to start because he didnt have the clocks to complete the circuit. might be worth a go tho...

Spoke to JBS about 12 months ago about fitting these clocks, and it cant be done without all the engine and loom etc.

Do look gret in a c but gotta do 20v

It can be done. I did it.

The TT and MK4 clocks will both work but if you don't get the earlier type, i.e without the FIS screen in the middle the rev counter will not work. The reason for this is the later type works on a CAN data bus, basically a serial data stream which feeds the dials with RPM of the engine etc.. so if you want the rev counter to work you need the earlier type.

Dubster - I am not sure exactly what you mean about the immobiliser, but if you just want to get rid of the flashing light on the dials, open them up and stick a bit black silicon over the LED. There is no heat so it will just get rid of it from the screen. I never did it on mine as I didn't get chance before I got the MK4 engine and loom.

Jay

kin' awesome jay ,a lot of blood sweat and scraped knuckles gone into that !!

does DM, paln on fitting the dash or intergrating the clocks into the c dash ?

Dubster - I am not sure exactly what you mean about the immobiliser, but if you just want to get rid of the flashing light on the dials, open them up and stick a bit black silicon over the LED. There is no heat so it will just get rid of it from the screen. I never did it on mine as I didn't get chance before I got the MK4 engine and loom.

Jay

aye the light wasnt too much an issue, the sounder goees off to, just like the oil pressure buzzer, and i can only persume they use the same sounder.

now i could blank the led, piece of.... but if i cutt he sounder, im risking not knowing about the oil pressure.

basically the light constantly flashes whilst when you start it or apply the handbrake, the sounder... sounds...

i spose i could just get rid of the led and the sounder, but i was hoping there was gonna be a way to trick the circuit to thinking the immobiliser circuit was complete and that i wasnt tryin to steal the damn car :lol:

kin' awesome jay ,a lot of blood sweat and scraped knuckles gone into that !!

does DM, paln on fitting the dash or intergrating the clocks into the c dash ?

The initial idea was to use a standard C pod as a base, so it would just drop in. although the mk4 clocks would fit, it would be tight and may look ... crap!

Not sure fo the dimensions on TT clocks