Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Which do you think is better "Classic" Material?

I was talking about this with a friend before I through a whole load more cash at the Corrado.

Which do you think will be regarded as more of a Classic in say 10 years time?

Corrado VR6 - Storm, G60 or any?

Porsche 968 - Club Sport, Sport, Tiptronic (rubbish), Convertible urgh

I rekon the 968 Club Sport would be the rarest in years to come

968 vs corrado? i think i'd be the 968 in most peoples eyes since its a porsche and automatically inherits classic status. out of the range of corrados, its hard to say, storms will be sought after as they are now and there will probably end up being far fewer g60's than vr6's making them a bit rarer. I suppose it depends how you're deeming something to be 'more' of a classic than something else.

I'd say the VR6.

The 968 CS is a track weapon and only people 'in the know' will appreciate it for what it is. To the uninitiated, it just looks like one of the 'poor mans' porsches from the 80s. The early air-cooled 911s and the 356 are quite deservedley classics. But what defines a 'classic' that appeals to the masses anyway?

Very interesting answers, it's true how do you define a Classic?

Something rare, old and unique?

The Corrado is a later Scirocco no?

The 968 is a step up from the 944

Both were made for a very short time period (VR6 and 968) due to the economy, I don't think the 968 will ever be thought of as a poor mans Porsche - that was only the 924 I think?

I suppose the Corrado should be thought of as more of a "Classic" because of the first VW to be fitted with a active rear spoiler and I think passive steering.

It's still the only VW to have been made to compete with the likes of Porsche - 944

If VW made another Corrado would all our cars value just drop?

as far as I can tell from looking at classic car mags in the news agents while trying not to be spotted glancing up at the top shelf, a classic is anything thats old, has enthusiasts and was considered 'quite good' at the time. on that basis both cars in all guises will become classics, but i've no idea which will be more desirable. to me, the corrado.

Yeah 'we' know the 968 CS is no pretend Porsche but Joe public don't.

The VR6 is the kind of car that attracts attention from all age groups. The 968 doesn't so much and is based on the 944 as you say, which was never really a piece of Eye candy imo.

Dunno..it's a difficult one. They both redefined what handling should be about in their respective classes, both priced themselves out of the market, and both were cobbled together by raiding the corporate parts bins.

It's gotta be settled with mass appeal and there the VR6 would win.....

Well you have just pushed me over the edge with my body shop funds! I think it will be going!

Rear wheel drive and my driving when I get angry aren't a good thing - just ask my 3 series and the crash barrier.....

Going to the bodyshop or going as in, being sold? Good man if the former :D

Yeah I know about RWD shenanigans and BMWs too!.... but they were older Bimmers (E30 and E36) and you had to focus. The newer ones don't feel so unforgiving at the rear. The E30 325i I had was just stupid.....trying to pull onto a roundabout quickly in the wet just saw me sitting there lighting one of the back wheels up (no LSD on mine)....very embarrassing!

The beast is being kept - so nearly at perfection stage I can't sell it.

Yeah I only had a 318is but it was wet and I certainly didn't have traction control and it was wet - and I wasn't really concentrating

I would love to have a 968 Turbo RS - I rekon one of the best looking cars, but I'd like to keep the Corrado if I can afford to also.

I actually span my BM twice before destroying the front and passenger wing, I did it at some speed with quite minimal damage - very well put together!

I suppose the Corrado should be thought of as more of a "Classic" because of the first VW to be fitted with a active rear spoiler and I think passive steering.

Heheh, actually, your 'Rados and my 'Rat share the same rear suspension setup which has passive rear wheel steering - hence why my big lumpy old-man's car corners far better than it has any right to! :lol:

The 'Rado's still the only VW with an active rear spoiler afaik though...

And I think the VW will become more of a classic, simply because they're still more in the reach of yr average person, whereas decent 968's don't start til £10k... Not that price has anything to do with whether a car attains classic status or not...

Is this "classic" in terms of people actually into cars, or the general public at large anyway?

968 will be the better bet in the classic car stakes due to

A)relatively short life--------3 years IIRC

B)relatively small numbers sold

C)only 3 uk trims but all the same engine......968CS/968 sport and 968 coupe/cabrio

D)cos its a Porsche

I think the G60 in standard form could become the rarer corrado considering that theres not many left already. The G-lader was a unique idea and will be looked back on and highly regarded in years to come. My 2p !!

Hmmmm

The Corrado definitely has more of a reputation through all generations as most people don't know what a 968 is. I think it's true what Kev said about the 968 basically being a 944.

Who knows?

More magazines and papers reviews on the Corrado over the 968 so it is looking good for us C owners at the mo!

Unfortunately the GLader isn't unique to VW. A frenchman invented it during the 1st world war when aero engines needed to be forced induction to cope with thin air at high altitudes. Although a good idea, it was never going to be practical, strong, or cheap enough to mass produce for planes.

VW took the idea on and refined it. They also poached the VR engine from Lancia!

What makes a classic?

1) Did the car break any moulds in it's day?

2) Was it internationally renowned?

3) Could it be appreciated by the general public and enthusiasts alike?

4) Was it affordable?

5) Is it still desirable today?

6) Was it mass produced?

7) etc etc

They are the usual things that 'they' use to deem a classic but imo if a car is still desirable long after it's production ceased, then it's a classic.

Both the Porker and VR6 are.....but the VR6 is more desirable by a wider audience imo.

When in a pub and the topic of conversation turns to cars, I guarantee you'll get blank faces if you say "Yeah I've got a Porsche 968 CS". Say you've got a Corrado VR6 and you'll get enthusiastic acknowledgement. THAT is one facet that earns a car classic status.

Most people only know Porsche for their 911.

I've found the corrado has a bit of a legendary status with alot of people, along the lines of how some people feel about the skyline, and how people 'used' to react to scoobys when you didnt see quite so many as you do now.

It seems like people know of them and hold them in high reguard, or have never heard of them at all!

I feel like i'm letting the car down every time I discribe it as "a sort of golf coupe" to people who dont know about it. I might take to carrying an 8x10 photo instead...

Have to agree there Chris, "sort of a golf coupe" implies that the Corrado slides in the same bracket as a Calibra - the C was a parts bin raid but at least they used a lot of different bits to make a good car as opposed to using all of the Golf chassis.

As for the classic status most of the cars which are regarded as classics, at least ones that have not inherited a badge - a la Porsche, are usally the ones the people remember desiring when they were new.

A lack of production numbers mostly helps to inflate prices, and you rarely find a car regarded as a classic that is ugly and didn't do something slightly unique for the time it was built.

As for which is more desirable its always going to be an original un-modified Storm that most people are after IMHO.

The car's origins are irrelevant....in terms of classic status.

Astons were Jaguar XJSs until recently, 911s were reshelled Beetles, 968s were 924/944s, E30 M3s were wide arched 318s but they're all classics.

A corrado maybe a calibra rival but there the similarity ends.....

I would rather have Asim's than a Storm in standard spec!

There are fewer Speedlines as the Golf Highline and loads of MK3's had the Solitudes, loads of C's have leather so it really is just the badge.

I doubt there will be much of a price difference in years to come between a Storm and a VR6 with Leather no?

Agreed Neil, Speedlines are becoming something of a rarity at the moment, especially ones in good nick.

Mystic and Classic are two colours the MK3 Golfs wear also, and there's 100s of 1000s of them.... how many other VWs use Ice grey Violet to use mine as an example? None.

However, the Storm was bigged up and it's the exclusivity of limited numbers that turns true Classic afficiendos on.....

E30 M3s were wide arched 318s but they're all classics.

more than just bigger arches............they also had a steeper rake rear screen too.........so to make a true E-30 M3 replica from a commoner garden E-30 involves more than tacking on big arches

Hmmm how about the E30 M3 vs the Corrado?

E30 M3 was the touring car god of the time!

Bloody left hand drive only though - much harder when overtaking on the country roads.

vr6storm - completely off the topic but what do you think of your Miltek as they are getting slagged off abit at the mo?

Yeah, but the UR Quattro Sport (another classic!) was nothing more than a normal UR with 420mm cut out between the A & B pillars and some fancy fibre glass panels fore and aft. The car underneath, as per the E30 M3, is essentially the same as it's lesser brethen.

And also, if you want to get really anoraky, the E30 M3 had significant suspension changes and was the only E30 to wear 5 stud 16" alloys as standard. The other E30s were all 4 stud.

But, it's the same with the current E46 M3....cardboard boot, carbon fibre roof, etc but it's still a 3 series underneath.....

Anyway....

Yeah the E30 M3 is deserving of classic status. Already is isn't it?

Milltek - Save it for another thread mate, opinions seem to be 50/50 on the Millteks.

vr6storm - completely off the topic but what do you think of your Miltek as they are getting slagged off abit at the mo?

my milltek has been near faultless apart from when i got the coil-overs fitted.......when it would knock(but thats hardly susprising)............however IMHO the magnex looks to be the better fit and better style/finish(well the ones ive seen on C's)

on topic...........a month or so back classic cars had a feature/twin test with the 968CS and the E-30 M3 evo 2..............damn nice reading........i reckon the M3 is gonna be the one to have due to the fact they were very succesful touring cars