Sign in to follow this  
surfer.vr6

vr6 crankshaft sensor (affect engine power)

i have heard many stories about camshaft position sensors affecting power when faulty

but does anyone know if the crankshaft sensor can have the same effect

just had the ecu read and there were faults recorded with this sensor

i dont know whether it is just in my mind but the car does not seem to have the same get up and go it did when i first purchased it

If the crank sensor is dead, the engine won't fire.

It can be marginal, however, which will cause problems. Note that any time the engine is not turning it will report Crank Sensor: No signal. The engine must be started before this error will go away.

If the crankshaft sensor is knackered the car wont start. It reads as a fault usually because the engine isnt runing when the ecu is read.

As far as I know there are only two ways that fault code gets to be visible in the ECU memory.

1. You read the ECU with diagnostics while the engine ignition was ON and the engine not started.

2. The ECU was read for fault codes after the engine stopped with the this fault but the ignition hasd't yet been turned off.

On OBD1 cars like the Corrado, the 00513 fault is not surpressed with just the ignition switched on. It is surpressed on OBD2 VW's post 1995. On starting and running the engine, assuming the crankshaft sensor is an intermittant fault, the ECU will clear the code. So it proves a difficult fault to find with diagnostics unless you can catch it at the time the engine stops with the ignition still on.

Common problem with this sensor on the VR6 for it to go intermittant before total failure.

Thread resurrection time!!

Vagcom came up with 00513 - no signal but that clears with the engine running so no probs there.

I'm also getting 00513 intermittent fault.

Car is misfiring between 1k and 2k revs. The intermittent fault has disappeared but the misfire hasn't.

Would an intermittent fault with the crank sensor cause it to misfire?

Would an intermittent fault with the crank sensor cause it to misfire?

Yes.

The reason been the crank sensor tells the ignition when to fire.

If the crank sensor is dead, the engine won't fire.

It can be marginal, however, which will cause problems. Note that any time the engine is not turning it will report Crank Sensor: No signal. The engine must be started before this error will go away.

My vr6 wont fire and have been toly my crankshaft sensor is faulty (not getting any reading from the sensor on meter), now i phoned my local VW dealer today

and asked is they cud get me one or have one in stock, the bloke has just advised me they dont have anything on their system called a crankshaft sensor????? He said the only thing they had which it might be is an Engine Speed Impulse Sensor?? does anyone know if this is the in laymans terms the crankshaft sensor. Even told him the engine wasnt firing and asked if this sensor wud cure that and i still am in shock that someone in a VW Dealership no-one could tell me yes or no. :(

An engine speed impulse sensor is correct, should be part number 021 906 433 A and over £100.

Fairly easy to change. Jack the front of the car up (use axle stands) then look up towards the oil filter housing area. There should be a sensor coming out of the front of the block at the gearbox end of the engine. Undo the bolt holding it in (13mm IIRC) then you will have to wiggle it out of its hole. There should be a new O ring seal on the new sensor, rebuild it in reverse order and thats it.

An engine speed impulse sensor is correct, should be part number 021 906 433 A and over £100.

Fairly easy to change. Jack the front of the car up (use axle stands) then look up towards the oil filter housing area. There should be a sensor coming out of the front of the block at the gearbox end of the engine. Undo the bolt holding it in (13mm IIRC) then you will have to wiggle it out of its hole. There should be a new O ring seal on the new sensor, rebuild it in reverse order and thats it.

Have been quoted £70 +vat from VW dealer - he said it was held on by a M6 bolt ??? is that the same 13mm one you've mentioned m8ty, hopefully it is, I have to part ordered should be here tomo (apparently), fingers crossed this will sort me, and i can actually get the car back on the road, oh and get my forums stickers on her LOL :lol: (will keep ya posted)

It's secured to the block with a 5mm allen bolt.

You'll know it's the right part if it has 12" of wire and a white plug on it. If it has no wire on it, it's the cam sensor and incorrect.

The ECU has tolerance built in for skipped signals. If the amount of skipped signals exceed the tolerance value, the engine will stop or misfire.

Some people have luck removing the sensor, cleaning off any swarf and putting it back in.

Well the new sensor was absolutely NO USE, still gettin the same results, so prob have a perfectly good 2nd hand sensor now to, I think it might be time to actually bite the bullet and wheel her up into a VW stealership for diagnostic & repair, seems goin from bloke to bloke the cash mounts up anyway.

Beginning to think it might act be the immobilser or ecu, cos when the bloke started my engine work the alarm went abit nuts, maybe it thought someone was stealing the car so done its job and immobilsed it or whatever it does,

AAAAArrrrrrrrrgggghhhh head is done in LOL (try & keep ya all posted)

Whereabout are you? There may be someone nearby who could help out with a scan with VAGCOM? I'm in Northwood Middx if that helps?

Whereabout are you? There may be someone nearby who could help out with a scan with VAGCOM? I'm in Northwood Middx if that helps?

Northern Ireland M8 (hence why i am having a nightmare gettin anythin done LOL)

Thanx though