Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

Failed MOT

Hey all, my C just failed the MOT on a couple of things but the main one was

"excessive wheel bearing play on the rear" - is the passive rear steering anything to do with this or am i wishhful thinking?

Very easy to tighten the rear wheel bears, just tighten the nut until you can move the washer with a screwdrive without prying it!

the wheel bearing itself probably needs tightening up a little or replacing,nothing to do with the passive rear steer

The passive rear steering is to do with the axle bushes and it's about £300 to get them replaced at somewhere like Stealth (quite considerably more if it's somewhere that don't know what they're doing)

Luckily, the rear wheel bearings aint nowt to do with that, so you're OK :)

The bearings are set into the brake disks and are about £15 each, so it's not too much of a bugger to replace. Make sure you don't over-tighten the hub nuts though, they're not done up very tight at all and if you over-tighten them then you'll soon have smoke :D

That's great guys thanks, will try that

the other failure was oil leaking from the steering rack, how difficult a job is this to replace?

not to difficult with a ramp,but if the rack need replacing then it will be expensive,not sure if the do repair kits for them

You can buy repair kits for the rack but I doubt it's something that you'd want to tackle without some experience. Plus you'd need to take the rack off the car in the first place and strip it down. Not an easy or quick job!

DINKUS-- how come its soo much to replace the axle bushes?

Depending on where you take it, they may need to remove the axle to replace the bushes. I have seen them done on the car but without a special tool you couldn't fit std bushes. Poly bushes are easy to fit with the axle on the car though. You just disconnect the flexy hoses and bleed the brakes afterwards.

Awesome do it in about 2 hours or so I reckon.

Gavin

Thanks for that guys - i don't have a ramp and the bloke at the garage (corradowales - radcliffe in Llanharry - only use them for MOTs usually) said that it'll be about 2 hours labour plus parts, might just bite the bullet and let him do it - it's not a particularly "Corrado" job is it? Otherwise I'd rather take it to a better garage.

You can buy repair kits for the rack but I doubt it's something that you'd want to tackle without some experience. Plus you'd need to take the rack off the car in the first place and strip it down. Not an easy or quick job!

what do you get in these repair kits? is it just seals?

F**K ME! a new steering rack is £500!!!! :shock:

that's 1/4th the value of the whole car! I could buy two golfs for that. Does anyone know anywhere that may sell them a wee bit cheaper?

tried GSF, they don't stock it.

GSF do recon racks, but you can't buy brand new ones (not genuine ones, anyway) anywhere other than the dealer.

I don't know exactly what you get in a rack repair kit. I would HOPE you get a new rack and pinion, and seals and bearings and so on, but I've never seen one.

I found a place in Wolverhampton that'll do a recon unit for £125 delivered (whew). I'm surprised the guy at GSF didn't tell me about a recon option though dr_mat.

I have secured some ramps and my Bentley CD covers the replacement AFAIK - so i'll take some pics of the carnage over this w/e (or next) for anyone who does it in the future.

didn't really need this, got a job interview on Monday!

I found a place in Wolverhampton that'll do a recon unit for £125 delivered (whew). I'm surprised the guy at GSF didn't tell me about a recon option though dr_mat.

I have secured some ramps and my Bentley CD covers the replacement AFAIK - so i'll take some pics of the carnage over this w/e (or next) for anyone who does it in the future.

didn't really need this, got a job interview on Monday!

Can you do the number of thios place in Wolverhampton. A mate of mine needs a Passat rack which is 150 plus VAT from GSF.. Worst is I threw one away 2 weeks ago on a car I scrapped.:roll:

Thanks, Gavin

if you go to GSF on Bessemer road speak to Chris (( i think thats his name...the young guy...he looks like Bobby off King Of The Hill ))...he's the owners son and he's REALLY helpfull whenever i go in there...loves the raddo's (( he's got a Audi coupe ))

Ive never heard of Radcliff ....or indeed this LLanharry bloke :wink:

I take my car to AA tyres on Whittle road (( off Hadfeild road )) for MOT's ...again they always mention how much they like raddos, and they've built their business from a small tyre shop through word of mouth...they look after their customers!.

Having been a taxi driver in Cardiff for 7 years i've found decent places to go through word of mouth.....if you get stuck for places let me know...i'm always happy to help (( knowing your not locall ! ))

dont speak to the deerstalker guy...speak to the king of the hill guy

Who is that in wolverhampton then?

Best of luck over the weekend, check the weather reports too, unless you have cover over your head.

Aren’t you jumping the gun a bit getting a new rack. Just wipe off the fluid and have a look where its leaking first.

Mine was leaking slightly from the end of one of the pipes that screws into it. There's a metal pipe that fits into the rack and has a bolt over it like that on a Speedo cable. I tightened this about 1/16 of a turn and its been okay since. If that hadn’t of fixed it I would have tried a bit of silicon before getting a new rack. I think my problem wouldn’t have been solved by a new rack anyway. Think the leak was caused by the pipe going into the rack and not the rack itself.

Also check that you have the correct GREEN powersteering fluid from the dealers. Having the wrong fluid can cause a rack to leak or damage it in the long term.

h100vw, Whitedog, it is called Jay Gee - 01902 404258 - the bloke is really helpful - they drop the new one off and give you a couple of days to replace it before they pick up your old one.

corradowales, Thanks very much for the offer fella, i think i'll be taking you up on that advice and no doubt buying you several pints in the future :)

and good luck with the job interview!.

Cheers buddy, :) fingers crossed

Aren’t you jumping the gun a bit getting a new rack

I Might be mate, I'm going to have a good look this w/e and tighten everything up before buying a new'un.

two garages have said that it wants replacing and steering is pretty noisy TBH - it doesn't seem to be losing fluid, the MOT guy said it was leaking oil although he may have meant fluid, just preparing myself for the worst.

Best of luck over the weekend, check the weather reports too, unless you have cover over your head

Thanks mate, gonna leave it til next weekend now though as i have to confirm the part number etc with Jay Gee before they send the new one and fortunately they'll send the new one before picking up the old one so theres no headache having the car sit there without one (got 14 days to get it all sorted and it's a daily driver, not a trolley dolly :wink:).

saysomestuff, I bought one off ebay for £46 that I no longer need... Interested?