Sign in to follow this  
atif

No 1st and Second Gear

People i have a problem, driving back from my day out and i came of the dual carridgeway and i cant get 1st or 2nd gear! :cry:

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

i can get all other gears and i can get reverse.

but it just wont go into 1st or 2nd gear!

any help would be very appreciated :D

try taking the gearstick surround off and look at what the cables are doing whilst selecting 1st and 2nd,if everything looks all well and good look under the bonnet and do the same,have you tried putting it in 1st when the engine is turned off and then try to push the car??

what engine you got?

Had a mk2 gti a while back.. lost 1st and 2nd...then 5th

was all down to a 3in nylon linkage juat behind the gearbox.

if that's the case 80p from ARE.

hope that's helped

good luck

First thing to check is:

Lift up the leather gaitor on the gearstick and on the left hand side their is a bar that protrudes to the left and that should have a small circlip on it that prevents the gearstick travelling too far to the left, but it is common for it to break. If it has broken and come off then the gearstick will travel too far making it really hard to find 1st and 2nd. Just replace the circlip (cost about 10p from any motor factors)

Have got a corrado g60 with a MK3 Golf gti gear box!

have you tried putting it in 1st when the engine is turned off and then try to push the car??

tried to put them in when the car is off as well and no joy! all the other gears go in perfect!

Also, check the cable linkage securing nuts on top of the gearbox have not become slack.

Can I hijack this post?

Im having similar probs.

After driving, when I pull to a junction, I cant get it into 1st, sometimes. I have to select 2nd, then first, and even that doesnt work all the time so I end up pulling away in 2nd.

It also does same for reverse ie when I need to park.

Any ideas?

(Sorry for hijacking, just thought better than a new post)

stanbates, When I had selecting problems there was a nut on the gearbox linkage that had come loose. I re-adjusted, tightened and all was ok. The nut in question is at the top of the linkage. Worth a look.

Stan when I get my Bentley back from Gibber you can borrow it for a while. Load up the ETKA and you cna see the linkages yourself. Just down by the side of your battery

Gavin

just had the gearbox into stealth and the gearbox is in a bad state.

i need to find another gearbox,

what code do i need to look out for if i want to purchase a new Golf Mk3 gearbox??

just had the gearbox into stealth and the gearbox is in a bad state.

i need to find another gearbox,

what code do i need to look out for if i want to purchase a new Golf Mk3 gearbox??

MK3 16v?

No worries guys,

i have managed to get one! i got confused because the guy at the salvage yard was telling me there were two types of MK3 16V boxes!

i have the correct information!!

biggerbighugo said

was all down to a 3in nylon linkage juat behind the gearbox

Atif - When my C (1995 VR6) suddenly wouldn't go into 1st 2nd and reverse three years ago and gear lever felt flabby, AA man immediately spotted breaking plasticky part in engine compartment. He fixed temporarily with superglue and cable ties.

I got part fitted at VW garage it is called a "carrier" and is part no. 1J0711256 £7.33 plus VAT.

If you stick your head down in the engine compartment (passenger side) you can reach in and fiddle with linkage and maybe confirm if this is indeed the problem.

Hope it is something simple like that before you go dismantling stuff inside car!

Craig,

its gone past that, i checked it last week from the engine bay, and i could get all the gears except the first and second,

i had a gearbox garage checked it and then i sent it to Stealth who quoted on just parts, £700. i decided that i would try and get a new gearbox and it has cost me £250.

shud be fitted today!!

£700 in parts! Crikey, very terminal. Gotta be the gears themselves out at the price, which are £125 each from VW :shock:

Kev,

that was Vince who took a look and priced them up. it basically snapped alot of bits inside the gearbox

i nearly fell off my desk!