Sign in to follow this  
Hank_Marvin

Corrado help needed for a wannabe corrado owner

Go for a 1.8 16v. Cheapest to insure and buy, and along with the 2.016v and 2.0 8v the most reliable.

Don't bother with the 8v- as well as being hideously slow, it's actually a group 16/17! (depending who you insure with), whereas the 1.816v is gp 15. Don't just buy the first car you see either- drive a few and take your time. It's very easy to get caught up in the moment- especially if it's your first performance car.

blackcat16v's car looks like a good 'un.

All the electrics work except that pesky sunroof, tilts but doesn't slide. I have only had the car since September, it had a service in August before I bought it. About a month ago, I did an oil and filter change.

I've taken it to a local mechanic that I know and trust and he looked her over and he's sorted out a few little niggles that she had.

I love driving this car, I love the way it handles and driving it never fails to put a smile on my face!! I'm hoping the VR will do the same!!

If you're interested come and have a look, I'm only a couple of hours away.....

Well not really into the golfs as much, i like em a lot but i love the look of the corrado and how rare it is and they just look propa beast. think i've made my mind up and its going to be a 16v 1.8 i get. and the 1.8 16v parts r easy to get and are cheapish?

blackcat i'm considering your corrado, it all looks good, i'll let u know

thanks

Had my vr up to 37.8mpg the other day after a full service! and was not grannying it, up to 110 down a lane.

Down a hill?

I had my VR at 99.9 mpg once...

I had my VR at 99.9 mpg once...

our golf gti did 99.9 mpg all the time......the MFA was broken!!

Hank Marvin I haven't had to buy too many parts for the 16v but places like GSF are reasonably priced for parts etc.

It'd be nice if my car went to a forum member, someone that's going to love her and look after her!!

i paid 2995 for mine , little much but did just have an engine rebuild and few outher bits - running quite nicely at the moment after getting all the nigely bits out of the way - lots of guys on here will help you if you get stuck for a decent mechanic - genuine 2

"Yeah well my Fiesta does 55 in 1st gear"....twit at local pub....Fiesta in question..a '91 1.1 Popular....hmm really.

love it - my mate's does the same :lol:

no word of a lie, 37.8mpg on a trip from westerham to orpington at rush hour. Admittedly for the first five minutes I always change up really early until the engine is right up to heat but also took it up to 110 on a little back lane graham knows about. She is just running really well right now after I changed fuel,air,oil filter, plugs, rotar arm and distributor cap.

depends where you take it, wouldn't of thought any cheaper than £500 tho. But if I was in your shoes, I would probably get a nice little valver, try and spend very little on it and do some servicing on it yourself, then, after a year, once you have an extra ncb, get a vr.

hmmm well all depends if i get a job soon, just finishing my college diploma, so when i get full time job may even be able to get g60 or vr6. yer i guess theres no point doing any major work if u are gonna upgrade later, but i dont think i would be unhappy with a 1.8 16v hmmm such a big decision

1.8 16v is a hoot. Not as much torque as the 2.0l valver, but the handling's good, and it's still faster than 90% of cars on the road. The bits are easily available, they're the cheapest to insure, and because most people seem to be lusting after G60s and VRs, there are some bargins to be had.

For all the trouble mine's given me/is giving me, it's a cracking car.

Good luck,

Tom

1.8 16Valvers are good buys

when I think what I have spent on the car and what I could have dodged and not spent at all there are clearly big differances,

it would have cost me a service,pre amp for coil,2 mot's and a brake caliper

for 2 years running its not bad at all is it. Does 36 on a spirited run

I wont mention buying the wheels :-) and mk4 rear calipers and headlight mod :-)

yer i think the 1.8 16v is the one really for me anyway, not got 2 much cash so probly the right choice. wot sort of mpg u get on 1.8 16v

I've got between 28 and 37 mpg on my valver, all depends on what kind of driving you're doing.

I had a quote of about £400 to spray the passenger side that has been keyed. Depends on where you go, some places will do it cheaper for cash!

I've got between 28 and 37 mpg on my valver, all depends on what kind of driving you're doing.

I had a quote of about £400 to spray the passenger side that has been keyed. Depends on where you go, some places will do it cheaper for cash!

now that i've started lookin in every drive and at every parked car u start 2 see corrado's, its crazy,no little for sale signs yet though.

i picked up a 1.8 16v only last sunday at £1200 was bog standard apart from a k&n panel filter and lowered 30mm.

have changed the alloys and given it a full valet.now just got to get insurance sorted am im rolling.

you wont go far wrong with a valver (in my experience)

had mine for 2 an a bit years and only now (because of being on here) that i want an upgrade!!!

good luck mate

ben

cymru-corrado - i would be intersted to know how much insurance cost you and where u got it from as im a similar age, 20 in october

it does seem a nice corrado but was lookin for sumfin a little less modified.

yalan u want a str8 swap then, my polo for yours, you know you want to. when will the pics be up yalan