Sign in to follow this  
Samwardy

whats all this about VR6 engines breaking???

Hi this is my story. I use to have a G60 in mystic blue with black heated leather. Had the supercharger done at Jabba Sport and got it chipped and pullied, really enjoyed owning it. Sold it two years ago and bought a lotus. Am about to sell the lotus and intend to buy another corrado, but think i fancy a VR6 this time. I have been reading through the net and lots of people seem to have had engine rebuilds. I was under the impression that the VR was unburstable, but it would apprear not. So whats the best bet a G60 or the VR6? to be honest i have done the G60 so would just like someone to explain the VR engine phenomenom.

Cheers

Sam

you're always going to get horror stories no matter what car/engine you look at, for example theres stories about people with lotus elise/mgf/tf's having catastrophic head gasket failures. The main point of worry with the VR6 where alot of people are concerned are the timing chains, theres plenty of threads explaining the finer points of the problem if you use the search. Other than that they seem pretty solid, as long as they havn't been thrashed and have been well looked after. The guy who runs the forum, Andi, has a vr6 with over 200k on the clock, i dont think hes ever had a rebuild and its still running fine. Obviously a 10 year old car is going to benefit from an engine overhall, but that applies to any car!

You're right, you've seen discussions about this before... Do we have to go through them all again? :-p

A mate had a brand new MGF for three years. In that time it had two new VVT units and the head gasket was replaced twice. The door handles failed once (on the INSIDE) and it spent overall around 3 months off the road in three years. Compared to that a few thrashed VR6s needing head work after 100k is pretty small beans I'd say.

Always down to how the engines been treated, but when things do go wrong with VR's its fecking expensive. That's what you pay for a relatively unusual engine design. Eg. Finding someone to rebore mine was a challenge, most only do in-lines.

When it runs right though I wouldn't want anything else, loads of character, refined, wicked exhaust note, and never seems over stretched ( I don't take it past 6000rpm but it never seems thrashy like my old 16v golf at the same revs) and it's something abit different. Wouldn't go back to 4-cylinders now given the choice.

also people use these forums mainly when something goes wrong - so you tend to see the worst side of corrado ownership. Not as many people post messages saying that everything is working fine :D

Forums, forums.....you gotta love em!

You really should not believe everything you read and you should certainly not base your car buying decision on a forum....unless there is unanimous agreement something is bad.

Given the amoun of members we have, I am aware of no more than 10 members, maybe not even that many, that have had their VR6 rebuilt. I and about 4 or 5 others have had the chains and tensioners done and some have had the heads done with this too. In the case of the head builds, the bores were checked and given the green light at around 100K's use.

In short, catastrophic failure, stranded by the road in a puddle of oil ain't gonna happen in the VR.

Chains and head work at 100K is a normal requirement of VW engines from that period, but some don't need it.

Not as many people post messages saying that everything is working fine

Thats just asking for trouble though isnt it!!

Mine's working fine.....even the ultra rare manually operated sunroof :D

crack me up everytime

PS Mine's working fine too. Perhaps you could do some stats on how often people don't post on 'what I did to my Corrado today' as an indicator of them actually working? :lol:

cue 'my cars broken :(' threads from you three then, unless you were touching alot of wood when you posted that (easy kev!) have you lot learned nothing from murry walker?

Doesn't bother me, gives me something to fix!

When I pulled into Audioscape yesterday I checked the oil and was horrified to find 1/4 litre was missing since yesterday.... but then the horror turned to glee as I pictured 24V conversions in my head.....sadly the oil was at max again this morning :(

Strange engine!

very strange, normally they do odd things that have a negative effect...never heard of one doing something odd that was positive! you're going to wake up one morning and find its grown a supercharger :lol:

One can only hope Chris mate :D

I am now rattle free again, at long last. I'd sussed that one with the cloth but leather brings about a whole new bag of noises....finally managed to silence those too. Most of it comes from rear seat back rests rubbing on the rear cards....

Mine's working.

It does need to get out more, though. :roll:

i can help you with that if you like ;) lol

Damn Damn Damn

When will I learn to keep my stupid mouth shut.

Driving to work just now and the white van man in front decided to rear end the bloke in front of him in a stationary queue. So I'm negotiating my way around and he decides it would be a good idea to reverse at me :shock: NO!!!

Just had time to get a bit more lock on so he missed me, but the bad news is I kerbed my speedline (scuffed it really) but it buggered the tyre.

AAAAGGGGHHHH

Mines done 120k and the chains are very quiet and have never been done. It now uses no water at all after doing the stat housing and a hose.

It uses no oil being driven with machanical sympathy either.

Currently not working though....

Doesn't bother me, gives me something to fix!

When I pulled into Audioscape yesterday I checked the oil and was horrified to find 1/4 litre was missing since yesterday.... but then the horror turned to glee as I pictured 24V conversions in my head.....sadly the oil was at max again this morning :(

Strange engine!

mine once swollowed a litre in 40mins, never used a drop before or since. I was hammering it down the B1228 90% of the time on the wrong side of the road *cough*

Cheers for the help gents. It's a good point that people would not post about cars working fine. Think i'll get myself a VR, done the G60 already . Will keep an eye on the site in case any come up for sale.

Thanks

Sam

Well, after spending some time on my wheel this morning there is good news and bad news.

Good news is the rim was saved from damage by its having squished the tyre against the kerb. So after expending a bit of elbow grease on it to remove the rubber/chemical deposits?? there is hardly any thing to show for it.

Bad news is that the tyre wall is done for and they don’t make these anymore; doubly annoying as I really like them.

Pse see my post in “Wanted” for Goodyear Eagle F1 205/50ZR15 (86WGS02) as I don’t like different tread patterns on the car and wasn’t really planning on buying 4 new tyres this week – assuming I can find any I like.

Any thoughts on similar tyres welcome; its such a pain when you buy a new type and then find you don’t like them (eg last set of Avons!).

Cheers all