Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

VR Plug Leads

Can anyone tell me the part number for the Red VAG plug leads...94 VR.

My main dealer says you can only get the black ones with the rubber ends???? Im sure i've read on here that the Reds are best but 2 dealers locally all swear blind they don't exist!?

Whats going on. I know they exist because my car had 4 black VAG plug leads and 2 Red ones with the metal ends, hand as you can tap them in without the plug tool.

HELP!?

Sorry its a boring one....

The reds do exist as I bought some a couple of months ago (bloomin dealers!).... they're about £20 each but do a search mate as someone has listed the part nunmbers. Ford sell them for the Galaxy aswell don't forget.

Well last time anyone asked you could still get the red ones. But they are sold individually at £extortionate.

You can buy the OEM leads (but in black) from C+R enterprises iirc. Take a look at the search, there's a thread detailing part numbers and all the different lead choices.

Cheers guys, sorry im rubbish at using the search but will try it again.

Yeah, VAG quoted me £18.99 each + the dreaded for the black ones!

Those K1 racing ones I bought are being redone for me. I actually had a call from the cheif engineer at the factory! I will see what comes of it, but i want some reds now whatever....

I STILL CANNOT BELEIVE VW WILL NOT SELL ME THE TOOL !!

One should come with the car when new, let alone not being able to buy one. Its routine, if not by the side of the motorway stuff. I really do not understand. I've begged but they will not sell me one!

Nick, have you not got the standard plastic one clipped to the wheel jack crank? Some dealers are more leniant than others when it comes to selling tools.....they do afterall want you to pay the extortionate labour rate as Mr Wales says, so there's no incentive to sell the tools.

The dealer is not the only source for the metal tool. A third party sells one too but I can't remember the make.

In the jack holder....................uummmm, ill check when I get home.

I obviously knew there was one in there. Must be missing!

(disappears into a hole in the ground)

Look on the little handle you use to crank the jack, if it's not clipped to that, somone's eaten it. Some people clip it to the bonnet prop but I assume you would have noticed that! and you CAN buy the plastic standard tool mate...

Try http://www.wires4cars.com

I got a set of red plug leads for my VR (they use OEM ends) delivered within 3 days for about £75 all in, they even threw in a bag of American cookies. They sell the metal plug lead tool as well IIRC. It was someone on here who recommended them and I can't praise them highly enough.

VW here only sell the red HT leads now. Can't get the black ones anymore!

Bought a set a year or so back (along with the tool!!) but can't remember the cost though!!

EDIT: ...or part numbers!

Dutch

I got a set of the reds about 18 months ago for the best part of £100-120 for all 6,... they did sort my flat spots out though.

And you can buy the plastic tool from VWs for a few quid too..

In fact, buy the one from the website above. Its a bit more money but a lot better, as the ones over here are crappy plastic.

The tool is made by Hazet, and I bought one from VAG with no trouble (Wayside in St. Albans), about £18. Nick, if you want I'll see if they still sell it - a nice metal one with a plastic handle. The OE all-plastic one has the durability of a chocolate fireguard

Some time ago, someone here was talking about making them out of 22mm copper water pipe - the same enterprising chap who makes door handle repair kits??

Best wishes

RB