sciroccotune

Upgrading 16v to 280mm

yep - you can pick them up for £70-£100 takes about an hour to install , so much beter when i got them on - youy can actualy stop lol

Yeah I heard that also or you can get spacing plates for your 16V carriers.

You’d be better off getting G60 calipers while your at it, you can pick them up with carriers for under £100 they are a straight swoop and with a set of braded lines give better pedal feel.

I tried to space the original calipers out, but the G60 280mm disc is wider than the 256mm 16v one, so you either have to file away your brake pads or get the correct calipers, obviously you get the correct calipers. You can also use calipers and carriers from a MK3 Golf combined with G60 discs and pads. I didn't have to change my flexi hoses either, the orginals have exactly the same thread. However later on I upgraded to Goodridge braded hoses all round.

I think to make the 16v calipers work you just have to get 2mm or so machined off the slider pins so the caliper can slide back far enough to clear the thicker disc with the new pads ;)

I recently put the G60 280mm set up on my 1.8 16V. Car stops much better now. The G60 calipers were wider than the 16v ones.

Yeah I heard that also or you can get spacing plates for your 16V carriers.

You’d be better off getting G60 calipers while your at it, you can pick them up with carriers for under £100 they are a straight swoop and with a set of braded lines give better pedal feel.

Has anyone got any links or info on these carrier spacers so i can just use my 16v calipers to do my 280mm disc upgrade? Thanks in advance

Has anyone got any links or info on these carrier spacers so i can just use my 16v calipers to do my 280mm disc upgrade? Thanks in advance

Lilfuzzer has got my old VR6 standard 280 brakes which were in pretty decent nick, red powder coated too, though powder coating getting a bit weathered, give him a shout, guessing the calipers carriers might be straight swap, though ya'd need 4 stud discs presumably. Only changed as upgraded to bigger brakes

Lilfuzzer has got my old VR6 standard 280 brakes which were in pretty decent nick, red powder coated too, though powder coating getting a bit weathered, give him a shout, guessing the calipers carriers might be straight swap, though ya'd need 4 stud discs presumably. Only changed as upgraded to bigger brakes

Great that mate, i will do :) i've sourced the 280mm 4 stud discs,and have the calipers too so it is literally the carriers i'm after now,thanks

You'll find G60 / VR6 callipers are wider to accommodate pad / disk / pad thickness being wider than 16V, if you have the pads and disks remove the calliper and push the piston all the way home and compare them

Great that mate, i will do :) i've sourced the 280mm 4 stud discs,and have the calipers too so it is literally the carriers i'm after now,thanks

He's got my VR6 carriers too, I changed full set up on front