Sign in to follow this  
Aus

Engine dies when stopping

Hi,

I've got a '94 Corrado VR6, FSH (last service was last Sept), excellent condn, 63K miles (I've done half of those in the last 2 years; the previous owner had it from new and hardly used it). The car's been perfect for my 2 years except for when pulling up to a stop, once the clutched is pressed in or if I knock it out of gear to coast to a stop, the engine falls to below idle and often dies (battery light comes on). This happened v occasionally when I first got it, but recently is happening all the time so I have to try and keep the revs up when I come to a standstill. I've noticed just recently that when I first start the car from cold, it runs a bit 'rough' for 1-2 mins but then clears and is fine. It idles happily at a little below 750 rpm (I guess 600?) which seems quite low. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

check the blue coolant senser the front of the engine. unplug the wire from it, make sure it is clean, then push it back on firmly. i had a similar problem on my vr6 and it was that plug not on right (after i had check most normal stuff to no avail)

mine ran rough too one minute, then fine the next, with stalling problems and low tickover.

Tickover on the VR is 650 +/- 100 rpm. Nothing wrong with that. Six cylinders, remember?

If the blue temp sensor is fecked, it should be visible on an engine diags scan (or at least will be visible if you watch the ECU reported temps during the warm-up phase). Get it scanned.

mine wasnt fubar, just not got a good connection!

corradoSVR6 picked it up on his vag-com.

just replugged the wire and all has been well ever since! thanks again!

at only 63k your sensor should still be good. mines done 155k and still seems ok (afaik) !

I had the exact same problem on all counts until very recently.

I replaced my TPS and MAF sensor, put the ECU into basic settings and all has been well since (touch wood).

Check post 'VR6 Misfire' or something (posted within the last 2 weeks or so I beleive)

If the blue temp sensor is fecked, it should be visible on an engine diags scan (or at least will be visible if you watch the ECU reported temps during the warm-up phase). Get it scanned.

Question: When checking the engine temp. during the warmup phase what is an acceptable range for the temp. and on what measuring block should the VAG-COM be in??

Infact, can somebody breifly list for me what blocks 000-004 are for on the Corrado?? (I don't have the repair manual) I can work it out I think but would like it confirmed if pos.?

Cheers...

Can't remember which measuring block it is, but VAG-COM tells you what each value is reporting...

Well, the coolant temp sensor should read more or less what the dash gauge is reading, at all times. If it jumps around, or just doesn't change, it's fecked.

Clean out the ISV - soemtimes the flap sticks, and I dont think it is carried out under a service. Its a common VR problem.

The isv could be a cause but as a basic check, i've previously found problems in the area of the PCV, the breather from the end of the rocker cover that goes into the air intake pipe just before the throttle body, there are ofter tears or a split around there that you just don't notice and if it's sucking in air that would do what you described, so there's a few things for you to try from these posts.

Let us know wat it was when you suss it, always interesting!

Chris

Err, let's not...

ISV is a classic...you can see the scoring marks on the flap when you take it off. It sits right above the exhaust manifold and soaks up tonnes of heat. You can tell this was a problem for VW because you'll notice a metal plate attached to the ISV damper box on later cars to stop it melting....so just think what the metal ISV is going through...

Anyway, all good suggestions so far.... the stalling is VERY common and if you've had other VWs of this era, it's not isolated to the Corrado. Ever since VW binned the auxillary air valves (MK1 and early MK2 DX engines) and went with the Bosch ISVs, it's been a problem basically....

If the sensor Status Quo is OK....I'd be inclined to giving the ISV a good going over with some carb cleaner, followed by a small squirt of PTFE enriched metal lube. Wind the dashpot up a little too to catch the heavily sprung throttle earlier, ergo relieving the ISV of some of it's duty.....

does your vr have an induction kit on it, i had this problem on mine until i removed the kit and re-instated standard airbox, been fine ever since! Something to do with air sensors conflictiing and needing setting up! Y is this, did anyone else have to set up their sensors to fit an induction kit?

Thanks for the advice ... cleaned out the ISV with braker cleaner and sprayed in PTFE and all seems well. In fact, it's picking up noticeably better now.

Cheers all!