Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Best Corrado in the world?

In general I agree with H8RRA - the nicest cars/cars I have the most time for are the ones with carefully thought out mods, done buy the owner (between fixing bits that are broken), with his/her own twists. I cant honestly say I am that keen on any car that has too many mods purely for styling.

On the other hand, I don't think I have ever seen phatvr6 have anything good to say about any car but his own, all of his 'this car isn’t....' threads/posts are a bit clichéd.

At the end of the day, the owner of a mag-featured car will have no say in how they write up the car, just like any other magazine article about anything else that you might read...

I personally don't have the skills to be able to do what Jay, Phat, Ben, and others are doing to their cars, but should that prevent me from owning the car of my dreams if I can afford to pay people who know what they're doing to build it for me? And if a magazine thought it was an amazing car, should I refuse to have it featured because I didn't create it myself? Sometimes you need to be the one with the vision of how the car should look/be...

Architects get praised for buildings but did they lay any of the bricks themselves...?

Then again, if I were in that situation, I would always make it clear who was behind all the work, and would want to proof-read any article if possible, so that people wouldn't get the wrong impression and judge on facts that may or may not be accurate...

tinkle [/2p]

In general I agree with H8RRA - the nicest cars/cars I have the most time for are the ones with carefully thought out mods, done buy the owner (between fixing bits that are broken), with his/her own twists. I cant honestly say I am that keen on any car that has too many mods purely for styling.

On the other hand, I don't think I have ever seen phatvr6 have anything good to say about any car but his own, all of his 'this car isn’t....' threads/posts are a bit clichéd.

What you on about, I don't even like my OWN car......

and I think if you browse the forums you'll find it's not me who only comes on here to talk about his own car and nothing else...........

Jeez, you lot are worse than women for bitching........ :evil:

face it, if we all liked the same thing then all our cars would look the same and the whole point of modifying our cars would be lost - as would any enjoyment that we get from it.....

i, personally, wouldnt do to my C what Lee done to his, doesnt mean i dont respect him for it.... am sure we all have had that thought of how great it would be just to put the car into a garage for a week and have them give it back 'exactly' as we want it, even if it meant handing over a blank cheque to do so.... tho most of us wont or cant and resign ourselves to spending all our free time trying to achieve our 'perfect' look on a budget....

we all have our own opinions which set us apart (ive been shot down before for my dislike of any colour of blue C and hatred of 5 spoke alloys.....) but personally i would applaud Lee for making his dream car reality, no matter how he done it.... and even if i dont really like it.....

but thats just my opinion!!! :D

Er yeah, ditto to everything Scarlett said. Everyone has their own opinion of what looks good and what doesn't......

didnt you just know this would degernarate into another love/hate fest of A20 LEE?

I think the original issue Paul had was PVW calling it 'the best corrado in the world' which is a pretty sweaping statement and woefully inaccurate judging by the replys this threads had.

chrishill, read this thread than read his members gallery thread....

yup furki, and if you look through there you'll see my comments praising the car and saying how much i like it, which i do, i just dont agree its the best in the world.

I'm not trying to slag lee off or his car, i stood and chatted with him last sunday about it and hes a nice bloke, had a look around the car and I still love the look of it reguardless of the stuff Phat pointed out, theres things I wouldnt have done if it was my car, but its not, its Lees. IMO the 'worlds best' wouldnt cause this much of a stur, it'd be unanimous and as a certain NOS enabled forum member said the other day, every other car at worthersee looked like Lee's, I dont think anyone can honestly say its better than EVERY other corrado out there.

I've come late to this thread as usual..

I don’t think its fair to shout too much at people who build ‘cheque book’ cars. There may be a number of reasons why they have done so; they may not have the relevant skills, tools, space, the budget or time to carry out such crazy mods as some of us are doing… whistle…

This may or may not be relevant but here goes…

I can only comment on what I have experienced and thus relating a couple of points towards my project car rather than the one in question. When my corrado eventually makes it out of the garage for E38 (fingers crossed), it won't be perfect, I never intended it to be perfect. I used the project to learn new techniques and skills and further my knowledge of the general engineering process. Most of the work was done by myself, yes the paint was sprayed by body shop but I did 50% of the prep work, modified the front bumper and plastic welded the rear bumper. I didn’t do the floor pan conversion myself but I can safely say that I was too inexperience to tackle this back in 2002 and therefore saved the cash and out soured it to Awesome Gti Store, which incidentally did a good job even if it took them 8 months to do  However I think I’m able to say I’ve done everything else myself and or with friends or advice from friends …… Look at the dash for example, built pretty much from scratch and I learnt how to work with glass fiber and filler to a reasonable level from doing this, knew jack all before hand I can assure you!!

Anyway I look forward to hearing what people have to say about my car and others at E38. Whether the comments are good or bad I’m not fussed, I can take constructive criticism, but at the end of the day mine was built for me, not for anybody else, any magazines etc, although I welcome a feature if it is deemed good enough for one :wink: BTW I warn anybody planning to take lots of close up pictures of mine as it has loads of dirt in the engine bay, scratches on the paint work and the leather re-trim will most likely have its floors.

My 2 pence worth…

I say bring on E38!! If its finished my car will be on the CCGB stand, no pansy show and shine (joke)…

I forgot to mention that I like Lee's car, you have at least one fan Lee 8)

i still like lee's car too personally but its not the best out there,,,not even in the top 3

i still like lee's car too personally but its not the best out there,,,not even in the top 3

Well obviously mine is better... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is Lee's car a daily driver? I don't think we can question the amount of work put into the car (even if not all done by lee) and theres no doubt that the car is awesome... however I have to agree that as it stands, its certainly not the best corrado in the world. Change the wheels, do something interesting to the engine, and then it would certainly move up the rankings :wink:

cant wait for lee to get here,,,,ya think he will even notice this thread

I think its probably unfair that this thread is revolving aroud a20 lee but disregarding that car, i hold true to the fact that i think its pimped/blinged/ etc... whereas a car like phats or bigben is a MODDED car, work carried out predominantly by their owners and in my book, thats what modding is about. I could never agree with vast sums spent like lee's car - the reaosn i've always modded cars is to achieve something and have something that can compete with cars i can't afford. theres nothing more satifying than blowing off a 50k m3 or 911 etc.....

Producing a shiny corrado with no more guts than standard achieves nothing - it can't beat more exotic cars and it doesn't look better than more exotic cars - so I can't see the point - BUT EACH TO THEIR OWN, i just don't get it at all... All show and no go. Whats the point???????????? If Lee's reading this, don't take it as a knock on you but its just not my thing.

I've had an E30 M3 down the windy dual carriage way by stoner last year!

I've also been left behind by a new M3, it was quite embarrasing actually :oops:

I imagine Ben's will embarrass quite a few 911's and M3 CSL's! 360 bhp in a 4x4 Corrado!

Power isn't everything though - and I would have thought the rest of the package, ie. chassis and brakes would be the weak spot? As good as the Corrado is, and with mods I still doubt it'll match a M3/911, especially point to point.

Neil - that M3 was obviously playing with you, IMO the E30 is a quicker car than the VR.

Asim - he definitely wasn't playing - he had the back out!

Maybe his engine had seen better days but I could hear his engine being thrashed and those roads are quite bendy!

Also as for Ben's he has Brembo's, the 4x4 and the power so I rekon it would win point to point. The UR quattro's have been tuned (1 I've seen anyway) to do 0-60 in about 2 seconds, I think Ben has a video link somewhere.

On country roads in the UK I'm pretty sure 4x4 beats rear wheel drive (with more power) and on the straight roads you hit the speedlimit in a matter of seconds so not too much point in having high top speeds unless your planning on track days or Germany

As far as I know Lee's car is a daily driver. He's done most of the detail work single handed, and although there is a substantial amount of money tied up in it, that has been a result of scrimping & saving for the 5 or so years I've known him have the car.

It's a little bit unfortunate that PVW have dubbed another "Best Corrado in the world" tag. Seems about every 3-4 months they award that moniker to a Golf too. I don't think Lee's is the best show car in the world (sorry mate) but nonetheless it is one of the best modified Corrados on the UK scene and has been for a few years now.

If you look long and hard enough for details to pick on you will find them in almost any car. I certainly haven't seen a "perfect" car since the burgundy Premier MkII Golf (2003) and that was literally assembled ground and detailed up in the days leading up to GTI International.

In the final analysis we all love our cars (except PhatVR6, who's fallen out with his at the moment by the looks of it!). My car ain't no show-queen, but I still love it to bits every time I see it and drive it. I don't have either the time, dedication or inclination to go to the lengths that Lee has, but I totally respect the effort and commitment that he's displayed in getting where he has.

Anyway there can't be any argument over which is the best Corrado in the world. It was pointed out to me by it's owner at Inters in 2002.