Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Buyers Rights

What rights do we have if we buy a car privately, and it doesnt work as advertised and is therefore unfit for purpose?

Does anyone have any knowledge on this issue? :?:

Not a lot afaik mate - I got screwed when I bought my C :(

I asume this doesn't have anything to do with the 200sx your selling ;)

how were you screwed then phil...

p.s...i mean that in the " conned "sence of the word.

Sold to me as a low mileage 2.0 16V only for me to end up with no end of running problems followed by nearly a year and a half off the road and a new engine!!! Once the original block was out we discovered that it had been swapped for a 1.8 (with obviously a lot of miles on it) before it had come into my possession!

Its cost an awful lot of money to get it nearly back to how it should be and I'd love to meet the person responsible for the swap :(

Nothing to do with the SX no. That is fine.

Its the C I bought.

Bit of a long story, but the last guy had some work done when his water pipe burst, bottom end, and after I drove it 200 miles, there were some horrible noises.

I know the lad who I bought it from, so he took the car back to the garage, and they still think he owns it.

Theyve had it 3 weeks, and only took the sump off on saturday!!!

Apparently there is no metal in the oil (which is good) and they reckon it could be the oil pump not feeding the lifters properly.

I think theyre just talking shit and dont want to admit to f*cking it up in the first place, and are dragging their heels.

I want to go and shout etc, but as he paid cash, 'Off the books' then I dont want to scupper any work he can get them to do.

Although he paid off the books, he actually used his credit card, so he has proof.

Not sure what to do next????

A) Ask for my money back?

B) Leave the car get sorted?

C) Report them to trading standards/VOSA?

Any ideas????

Im getting rid of the 200 this weekend and will be without a car.

I would get in touch with trading standards just so you know what your rights are, at least then you know what you can and can't do.

Its not your or your mates fault that the garage accepted the payment 'off the books' though and regardless of who now owns the car the work should still be covered by a warranty.

As for what you can and get back if there is 'sold as seen' or similair on the receipt you got from him when you bought the car then he is not liable for any problems.

Thats what I thought anyway.

I think if the garage were reported they'd get proper f*cked for accepting work off the books anyway. Thats fraud at the end of the day.

Think a little threat of trading standards might be in order.

Update:

The guy I bought it from has gone to trading standards. He hasnt mentioned the 'off the books' yet, but has found out the fact that they have to fix it to a specific standard, and also to now put a time frame on it for them to fix the car.

If it doesnt get done in time, he is to go back to 'TS' and they'll go further. It could start getting interesting then!!

I just hope they sort the f*cking thing!!!!

Contact the credit card company - they'll either stop payment or reclaim it on your behalf.

Didnt think they would after this amount of time????

Dave G is king of this subject Stan. Have you asked him or that paint shop how much he knows about his rights :mrgreen: