Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Weird VR engine

Ever since I returned my engine to standard - even the OE filter and exhaust - whilst I took time out from modding to plan the car's future or sale, I've noticed the engine gets harsh from 4000rpm and feels flat. It's not a normal characteristic of the VR to be harsh, or flat from 4K as that's when it comes on the cam, 16V styleeee :lol:

I suspected things like, worn cams, partially blocked CAT, worn fuel pump, partially blocked injectors, dead MAF, Cpack, you name it.....so I booked the old girl into Dr Vince for this week, as I'd exhausted all my normal checks with VAG-COM etc.

Imagine my surprise then, after expecting to be told the block is worn, that after 3 dyno runs, he got the following from 120K old engine:-

Run 1 @ 20 degree inlet temp - 200bhp

Run 2 @ 40 degree inlet temp - 195bhp

Run 3 @ 80 degree inlet temp - 188bhp

Now that strikes me as being a perfectly healthy engine and the power loss is what you'd expect as the heat increases, especially the last run, he got it REALLY hot for that run.

So, I am either:-

1) Mad

2) Imagining things

3) WAY too fussy

4) A knob

5) All of the above.

I am dead chuffed my block isn't fecked though as the charger install was riding on Vince's call being positive. And it was, phew!

So the car is being treated to some Eibach ARBs and a decat as we speak..... yeah I know I had the Neuspeed ARBs (and sold em) but I miss them and thought I'd try something else this time....

I'm back and I'm chuffed.....can't wait to give it a good blow now....with a charger :twisted:

You're probably imagining things and being extra sensitive to everything that feels ever so slighty different, fearing the worst. I've got the same sort of paranoia about mine, but its actually running fine albeit with a slight oil drip from somewhere and a leaky radiator, but I manage to convince myself that every tap, squeak or rattle that I dont remember hearing before is fatal. If Dr Vince says its top banana then i think you're safe :)

Looking forward to finally going out in the Hayward-mobile on Saturday if possible! Hear what all this dynmatting and stereo gear and smooth engine all combine to give!

Me..? I'd go with 4 personally.. lol ;)

What do you mean Jim? You can't hear a thing in Kev's car, it's like an anechoic chamber :lol:

Yeah no probs Jim..... and number 4, LOL, that was the polite version of what I am!

I think all the weight in the car is the cause of my problem actually, it's struggling to move it along with the same authority as the standard 1210Kg car....the poor old engine doesn't know what to make of lugging 1867Kg around :)

So hence needing a charger to make the car as fast as standard again....

either that or he's been at the pies again... ;) :lol:

good to hear that your engine's sound Kev... It certainly felt good at Inters... 8)

It's sound insulation, but it's really dense bitumen sheet type stuff.

I think Kev said he's got about 50kg or so in there, so not sure where the other 550kg comes from...

1876Kg wasn't a serious estimate, LOL!

There may or may not have been anything wrong with it but I didn't have a standard car locally for comparison, but I now know for sure :)

DutchVR6, yup, Kev's triple layered most of his car... it's almost silent inside it now... 8)

Ha ha, I'm going with 5 too.

Well, saturday will be interesting. I'll bring my ear defs cos I'm not carrying the d'mat, and I'll leave the tool box at home.

Ha ha, I'm going with 5 too.

Well, saturday will be interesting. I'll bring my ear defs cos I'm not carrying the d'mat, and I'll leave the tool box at home.

LOL - I read that as 'I'm not carrying Dr Mat'

well according to James at audioscape, i've purchased the same amount of sound deadening as kev....

better get a 1.9L block too then :lol: