Sign in to follow this  
Whitedog

Steering Wheel Q

Hi All

Just after a bit of info on steering wheels please. I've tried a search but loads and loads of posts come up about steering and wheels in general.

I currently have a Momo steering wheel which was on the car when i got it. Its a great wheel but i think i want to change back to an original wheel. My c is on a 92 J, which seems to be the change over period as it has early interior with later things like stalks etc. I dont want the older four spoke one but the newer three spoke one.

1. Did the newer style come in a number of designs as looking in the gallery i seem to have found two slightly different wheels. See attached...

2. Excuse my ignorance but will the wheels shown fit all models of corrado early and late?

3. And finally did the later style wheels come with a number of finishes i.e. leather or were they all finished the same.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my query and to any responses.

Stu

the top one is a vr6 steering wheel.

the one bellow was in the valvers ...but i have also got one in my 92 g60, and a friend with a g40 has one too.

as far as i know any wheel should fit any model.

EDIT-- although the one in the top doenst look like its in a vr6 for some reason?.

You're quite right in thinking that there were 2 types of wheel on the later ones... the top pic is of a VR wheel and the lower is of the Valvers. AFAIK the VR was leather whilst the lower one is not! I have the lower one which I might be happy to sell if you want it?

If you have the early interior then your stalks should also be early ones - I'm guessing the previous owner will have changed them if they are now the later ones...

HTH

the bottom wheel was available in leather or plastic the colour of the band tells you if it's off a 16v or a G60 ,black band for G60 almost aiways leather

and silver band for 16v ,standard plastic but with an option for leather

my mate has leather with a silver band but the band just pops off so you could change it or paint it if you like

Rob

Cheers Guys, you've excelled in yourselves again. Its the VR one i'm after in leather, does anyone know roughly how much these go for? Are they sought after much or not really? Would i be better selling my momo one and boss then buying one or would it be better to see if anyone wishes to swap. If anyone has a leather vr one lying around in good nick that they wish to part with let me know.

I'll also put an ad in the wanted section me thinks.

I thought the early and late wheels had different sized splines or something? I'm sure I heard something ...

I sold a vr wheel for £40 (IIRC) a while ago, was in good nick but I think generally they go for a bit less than that! I just priced it at what i thought and someone bought it so I'm not complaining! they tend to come up on ebay quite alot.

Yeah, £30-£40 seems reasonable for a VR wheel. Unless you're selling them to Americans, in which case £100 or so is reasonable because they didn't get them and will pay throught the teeth for them :D

The good Dr, IIRC they have the same size spline but the later models had a collar that fitted over the spline making it bigger, i think it was so it could be more finely adjusted. Someone please correct me if i am talking complete poo.

Is the vr wheel the same as the mk3 golf vr wheel or would it be a different fit/style?

Chris, thats about the price i was hoping for really. The cheaper the better.

Also does anyone know the diameter of the vr wheel?

Cheers

For some sad reason, I have a feeling it's 335mm... might be lying tho - have a search ;)