Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Machine polish.

I just thought I'd report back on Kev's Blu Tak trick, as I just gave it a whirl on the Golf.

Yes it does work and it does get the big bits off the paint, but it doesn't get the in-grained stuff out like a proper clay-bar does.

But then it only cost £1.66 in Tesco... :lol:

This might help see what machine polishing does:

http://www.no-rice.com/forum/index.php?p=vt&tid=5060

My first stop is always Zymol Cleaner Wax (blue bottle about £10 from most branches of Halfords and it smells deeeeelicious) as it's a lot easier to work with than a clay bar and can produce some quite dramatic results depending on how poorly your paint has been treated in the past.

Clay bars (I have the Meguars kit) seems to be better at pulling crap out of the paint, but you might as well do the 'heavy lifting' with something easier to use.

I've got that banana-smelling Zymol and it is really good. I've also got some of that Swissol Onyx (£40 a pop) and I know I'll get slated for saying it but the Zymol is easier to work with and produces a great finish.

Neil, you must be using it wrong mate! We will have a CHAT on Sunday.....

Or if you want the Swissol Paint rubber, £11 delivered.......not as soft as the Megs one therefore easier to work with when it's warm!

Foir those of you thinking about it as well, use a clay first, then use the Cleaner Wax. The results will be better, easier and quicker.

I've ordered a clay bar so I'll give that a go and then Swissol it. I'm sure it works better on a car that has been "deep clensed" by a clay bar. The Swissol also benefits from being done in strong sunlight (unlike other polishes) so I'll choose a hot day although current weather suggests I may have to drive the car to another country :)

Did a 2 minute experiment with a once-over of the Zymol Cleaner Wax on some rather knackered Tornado Red paint on Sunday.

The lighting wasn't ideal for a proper compare and contrast, but it'll give you an idea.

I'd expect similar results from a Clay Bar.

You might not get the same results from a clay bar, but a clay bar and then some good quality wax (Swissol et al) will certainly sort things out.

The clay bar removes all the crud that's stuck to the paint, so if the top coat of the paint is still in good condition, then it'll look like new.

The wax fills in all the little scratches and adds a sort of glaze to the surface, making it nice and sparkly again if it was still looking a little tired :)

Pffsh, hell no.

If you use good stuff like Swissol, then you don't need to ;) Every 6 months or so seems to do the trick, then you can just give her a quick sponge-bath every week 8)

Tomson: Clay Bar received! Cheers.

You also sent me a catalogue damn you. My utility room already looks like Halfords, I don't need more car care products ;)

No idea on a 'dream team' as such, but I use...

Every now and then (read when I can be bothered)

Meguiar's clay bar followed by...

P21S deep cleanser stuff

P21S high carnuba wax

All including wheels. The P21S stuff smells like car wax, but it's good stuff, the Meguiar's stuff smelss ace and is also good stuff.

If you do that every 6 months or so then all you should need on a regular basis is...

Turtle Wax Car Shampoo (it was cheap and does the job)

Meguiar's NXT trim restorer stuff (purple bottle, green handle, smells nice)

after reading this post let me get it right. forgive me for being slow!

a clay bar....rub it over the motor to get crap out etc then wax the car!

blu tak can be used in the same way? how would you go about this?

my c's not in a bad state but like many has those little scratches that keep appearing every week and each time feel my heart sink when i notice them.

whats the best way to get rid of them... will the clay bar do this or is t-cut ok? never used it before so is there a knack or just rub it in and use some elbow grease?

also for those deeper scratches like on the bonnet is there anything that can sort that out. cheers in helping to make my c shine again!

Erm, yes to the clay bar. It strips all the lumpy gunk off the surface of the paint, but it doesn't actually remove any paint. So if you have scratches in the paint, it aint gonna help.

When you buy a clay bar, you get some kind of spray liquid called quick detailer or similar that lubricates the paint and you then scrub the paint with the clay bar til it just slides silently over the paint.

You can substitue this little lot for some fairy liquid, water and Blu-Tak, but it's really not as good as a proper clay bar.

Scratches are cuts into the paint, so you have two options here. If it's a light scratch, then you may be ok with just using some good wax on it. The wax will sit in the scratch and flatten the paint surface out again and you won't be able to see the scratch.

T-Cut will actually remove a layer of paint to take the paint surface back to the same depth as the scratch.

If the scratch is white then you're buggered because it's gone through the top-coat of paint and will need new paint to cover it.

I think that covers it?

yeh thanks very much...makes it a clearer.

so those tiny knicks can be t-cut out but that thins the paint and the deeper ones cant disappear as those are too deep to be covered.

also t-cutting your car regulary would be a mistake...once a year maybe?

any recomendations on an affordable brand?

my bonnets got quite a few chips here and there...whats the best way to sort really deep chips tastefully with out a respray? same for the door edge...bit of a bodge job where previous owners tried to fill it in with the vw paint stick thing.

if theres no solution then guees im stuck as i cant afford to resray panels for one or two chips! tough luck is it? :brickwall:

You can tell it's show season when a thread on car cleaning products reaches 5 pages...! :lol:

Though I'm going to succumb to this just like everyone else in prep for E38... :roll:;)

Neil, if you asked me about a Clay bar on Sunday you could have had one to take away.....

Sorry John, didn't even know Swissol did clay bars. Oh well, I'm sure the Mingers one will be OK.

You can use the clay bar one, maybe twice if both cars aren't too dirty. The bar actually picks up all the gunk tho, so it's not a re-usable thing.

Craig, Yup, you got it :) Personally I'd keep the T-Cut away from the car unless you absolutey need it - i.e. to get a scratch out.

There is a company called Chips Away that come out to you and take chips out of your car, but they are a franchise, so it depends on how good your local guy is on what he'll be able to do. Have a google and find out if there's someone near you.

Otherwsie I'm afraid it's re-spray time...

Ok, a question, whats the difference between Carnuba wax and any other wax? What other types of waxes are there? And which types are the best to use for the car? And THEN.... which brand does a good version of the recommended type of wax?

Lol.. I think that's me done for now.... :-P