Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

What does this pipe do exactly?

I presume it is for cooling exhaust gases to prevent damage to the CAT?

My previous 'C' VR6 didn't have this pipe and quite a few I look at don't either. Some do mind so I know it's not unique.

Anyway, where it joins the down pipe it has a serious split (about 2 inches accross by 1 deep) and is almost at the point of falling of the down pipe altogether. I.e. my down pipe basically has a 2 by 1 inch hole in it!!

What would this do to the running? As I see it the Lambda probe won't be reading correctly as it sits after this hole and surely the exhaust gases are now getting fresh air mixed with them, thus the lambda reading will be wrong?

Dutch

looks like cold weather heater pipe that normally runs to your airbox, though i jus noticed the airbox is on the other side, could be coolant pipe for lambda sensor

...my local VW dealer has confirmed it is as you say a cooling pipe for the manifold/lambda/CAT.

Unlike I had previously thought it doesn't run into the downpipe, just to a metal sheilding that wraps around the downpipe.

Anyhow, just went to order a new one as mines almost falling of now and it apparently comprises of 3 pieces of pipe. The piece that is broken on mine is maybe 2 ft long max., 2 inches wide and it'll cost 145 EURO new!!!!!

At the same time I asked how much a new leather gearstick nob is and I can have one of those for 25 EURO !! Figure that...

Dutch

Cooling pipe for the manifold etc? Sounds strange, but as we've learned already, the LHD version is a bit odd compared to the RHD version anyway!

It's a good idea though, especially in the cramped Corrado engine bay.

Unless it's an air pump? Some cars blast cold air into the front pipes during warm up to lean off the mixture going onto the CAT. Vectras do it and the air pump is in the inner wing. Got anything like that on your car?

There's also the EGR valve on some LHD VRs, mainly in the US though I thought. Not sure whether this assembly might be related to that or not though - I've never seen an EGR on a Corrado!

is it the silver corrugated pipe that has a split in it?

if it is it looks like standard heatproof ducting which should be availiable at any decent motor factors and should be pretty cheap, or you could go for some harder wearing ducting from somewhere like demon tweeks

lol, I thought we deduced that the RHD version is the one that's a bit odd?

It is the silver corrugated pipe that is split, but it connects into another piece down by the battery and it's a very strange plastic moulded connection that would be hard to get a piece of *normal* heatproof ducting to fit. Also not easy to fit the plastic connector to another peice of pipe as it appears to be glued on somehow and can't be removed without probably breaking the connector!

There is an EGR valve on some LHD C's but that's only in California I believe. I do not have EGR for sure so can't be part of that. The dealer printed the page out from ETKA for the pipe I mention so will scan it up tomorrow.

...and there is no pump either Kev - it's purely for cooling the exhaust downpipe apparently...

Dutch

PS - if the Carbon Canister purge valve is dead on my C VAG-COM will show it won't it??

Yes it will, it's N80....

Hmmm, odd that LHD have exhaust cooling and RHD don't..... VW are one strange lot for sure. Can understand the need for it in really hot climates, but the Netherlands?

Yep, very strange as Hollands not the hottest country about! It's on ETKA here so it must be in all European models no?

I also find it strange that American VR's for example have a heating element in the intake system (between the engine breather valve and the large intake tube that sits after the MAF) where as European cars don't. It gets down to -20 C over here in the winter!!

Strange indeed...

Yep but the plug and wiring for it are there on Euro models, just no heater element!

Life would be so much easier for the car producer and tourists alike if everyone just drove on the same side of the road!!

I'm sure I've got that bit of bling ducting on my new VR and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on my last one... tres strange.

8)

...I moved over here with the intention of staying for just 12 months to sample some of the fine 'Dutch Culture' on offer. That was back in '97. :oops:

I didn't have that bling pipe work on my previous VR btw ('92 Yank AAA VR) and it's not on all the other european VR's I've seen either (unless it broke and they refused to pay the 150 asking price and just ditched it)!??

Strange...

Dutch

Yay for corradowales going off-topic just a smidge :lol:

'tis strange, but I definitely have that ducting on my current VR...