Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

whats the vw 2.3 V5 engine like?

As some may know im selling my car. I still want a bit of speed and luxury though.

whats the 2.3 v5 engive like?

worth looking at? i have seen a rather nice bora v5 for sale and with my rs4 wheels i reckon it will look pretty mean but just wondered what it will go like.

cheers

mate has a 20v seat toledo, goes nice and sounds v nice. He had a 10v before, reckons the 10v was more torque'ie. I'd rate the v5's as a nice relaxing engine with a bit of poke.

I think the later ones had 170bhp rather than the original 150bhp, prob at higher revs. Think in general they are nice and soft and torque, generally softare than the 1.8Ts but with an exhaust they are guna sound sweet with 5 pots rumbling away like an audi quattro!

Been a passenger in a 150 early one and it was "adequate", not sure how much tweakage there is about though?

Basically there are two types of V5 engines.

The first generation had a 150bhp 2.3 10v engine and the second generation had a 170bhp 2.3 20v engine.

Having driven both I can say the 20v is definately overall quicker but ultimately not as the relaxed as the 10v.

Depends on your driving style i suppose, i would personally go for the 20v though :D

You selling up already????? What up with S3???

im getting married :roll:

The first generation had a 150bhp 2.3 10v engine and the second generation had a 170bhp 2.3 20v engine.

So i need to find out if this 1999 bora is a 2.3 V5 10v or a 2.3 V5 20v??

So i need to find out if this 1999 bora is a 2.3 V5 10v or a 2.3 V5 20v??

Yep, but being a 99 model its most likely to be a 10v the 20v's werent realised until 2000

You can sought of tell by the badges too, 170Bhp models have a "red" 5 as in V5

But as with all badges owners can change them!

I had a 10V Bora, lovely and relaxed but handling is very soft and wallowy, performance adequate, economy terrible, struggled to get 26-27mpg over the 25k miles I had it for

Why don't you just get a low mileage Golf Highline? Bora indeed.... do you think you'll be remotely happy with that for more than 5 minutes after your previous cars? And it's flat cap and tartan picnic rug territory that car.

Highlines are nice, quick and hold their value, so not a bad investment aswell as a bit of fun in the interim.

Pah....Bora's are the way forward Gaywire....i got a thing for them....i reckon if/when i no longer have a raddo (( doesnt bare thinking about! )) then ill be looking for a Bora...lowered, nice wheels, V nice.......

Nope, not liking any of them. It takes a lot more than dropping it to the deck and some shiney wheels to impress me.

It's just butt ugly from the front, it mings.... If I had to have a Bora, the front would be ripped off and replaced with Golf wings and Dahlback Racing blacked out Golf lamps....then it might look reasonably interesting.

yeah...if anything its the front that lets them down..a bit too round...but still......its gotta be vag...and i reckon thats a better and more interesting looking car than the golf.

so kev you reckon a mk3 golf highline (vr6?)

kinda back to where i started... but worse... i mean i have done the corrado so the golf will always seem a bit common.

Im thinking seriously now about the 406 coupe... under £4k for th 3.0 v6

either that or just a real shitter for a year or so... :(

Thing is mate, you can't sell a 270 brake £14K S3 and expect to get the something with the same Kudos and performance for £4K or less but yeah, a nice Golf Highline would be a good compromise for me if I had to 'downgrade'. The OBD2 2.8 engine is a lot better than the 2.9 ABV lump and leather, air con, good build quality await you inside.

406 Coupe....yeah quite nice but they look like a 406 Taxi with 2 doors taken off.

What about a Fiat Coupe 20VT?

fiat... :rofl:

yeah i will look into the possibility of a golf vr6 then... no doubt i'll get the modding bug again though and it will end up costing me thousands!

It's not a fiat in the same way the Corrado isn't a Volkswagen. The coupe is very well made apparently and has loads of power, torsen diff, leather etc etc

The Bangle styling is a bit in your face, but it's not hideous..... just thought it would be a good alternative to numb Audi steering and they look superb in black.

Otherwise yeah, the Golf is cool. Or how about an A4 1.8T sport? there's loads of cars to choose from....

There is a very very sweet, clean example of a Golf VR6 for sale right now in the For Sale section mate!