Sign in to follow this  
CharlieC

4 wheel laser alignment

Hi,

I've got what I think is a wheel alignment problem. Basically, if I accelerate hard, and tehn ease off, the steering wheel tries to turn... can be scary at high speeds, and no doubt bad for my C.

I reckon I need 4 wheel laser alignment - anyone know a good place to get this done in South London, preferrably Battersea way?

Cheers

Nik

I can't tell you anywhere specific, but most decent bodyshops have 4-wheel alignment rigs...

Being as knowledgeable about cars as most children are about international finance, how would I go about checking the bushes?

If you get someone to sit in and apply the foot brake on nice level ground and rock the car foward and back on the brake, the wheel should stay prety still in the arch, if there is a lot of movement then its going to be the wishbone bushes are gone and a new wishbone is needed.

If its the anti roll bar (ARB) link bushes. These will be visible with the front wheel off, if where the ARB links to the wish bone looks like a dick in a top hat and not nice a snug, they need replacing.

non are massive amounts of money but better to make sure than get the wheels aligned then need them doing again because the bushes where knackered the first time.

if where the ARB links to the wish bone looks like a dick in a top hat and not nice a snug, they need replacing.

Is that a technical term? :lol:

Only need two wheel laser alignment, Corrado's aren't adjustable at the back. :)

IIRC they are Neil but you need to unbolt the two brackets that the rear axle bolts to - this is factory set.

With the age of most C's these days it is better to make sure, the difference between 4 wheel align and just front is to make sure that when you set the fronts up the rears are running directly behind the fronts.

After watching Vince run through the VAG set-up he has at stealth it is a very accurate and thorough process.

After watching Vince run through the VAG set-up he has at stealth it is a very accurate and thorough process.

Yeah - have to have mine set up on the new kit next time i'm there... How long did it take to do yours??

He was at it for over an hour and a half but that was with new Tie Rod ends, springs, dampers, hubs, lower wishbones assemblys and bushes all round!

Darn site cheaper than anyone else at £80, there is another well known tuning company that charges £120 + VAT + adjustments!!

Neil G60, You have the wrong end of the stick, the laser 4wheel alignment generally means that the front wheels are set for toe alignment and the rears have a ruler hanging on them for the front gauges to shine on to make sure the wheels are parallel as the front wheels can have a setback, do a google search on the Ackerman principle, i did this at college years ago and have done tracking on hundreds of cars, alignment is really a critical arrangement and TBH very few garages actually do the correct service.

I go to a garage called Hyperformance near to me and they let me do my own tracking using thier expensive Lazer kit, nice guys!

Chris

I just had my VR set up at Stealth and it certainly feels much more planted and the numbers are pretty close to being spot-on. It's a bargain for £80 and it will make a big difference to the way the car handles. I can't say exactly how much difference the alignment mate as I had so much stuff replaced at the same time, but the alignmet will invariably get knocked out over time and it does need to be right for the car to drive properly.

Also, I know it sounds stupid, but you'd be amazed at what a difference having the correct tyre pressures will make ;)

Also, I know it sounds stupid, but you'd be amazed at what a difference having the correct tyre pressures will make ;)

You shouldn't be, that's the first thing to check/correct in the process to do tracking, again how many garages will do this though, crooks the lot of them, shoot them!

Chris

Then rear wheels can be adjusted for toe and camber by shimming the stub axles and you can buy the shims from VW. It's a lengthy and laborious process but if you're into track days, it's a good way to fine tune the chassis for track use.

Joe M might, he's a regular Track day man....

Just get Paul to follow you and see if your car crabs down the road like a cut and shut :D

Just booked mine in at awesome gti to get the trackin and camber all set up, might have a bit of -ve put on :twisted:

Just booked mine in at awesome gti to get the trackin and camber all set up, might have a bit of -ve put on :twisted:

Make sure you mention the wheel moving. I am going to fit replacement wishbones today for a similar fault to yours. I had it tracked a few weeks ago. A couple of weeks later I ran through a bit of a hole at work which produced a nasty bang and the steering wheel is no longer set correctly. Also the inside both tyres is well worn.

I called into the place on the high street and got it on the ramp. The lad was all for setting the tracking again but I got him to get a bar out for me. You can move the wheels back and forth in the arch about an inch. That must be a hideous change in track during acceleration and braking. Which has done both front tyres by the same amount.

Bushes first them tracking.

SHALL I START THE OE/POLY THING AGAIN?????

I have got poly.

Gavin

Does anyone know of a place in Scotland that can set up camber and toe for the rear of a C as mine looks like its a bit out on the nearside rear. Surely VW would only aet it to factory and charge the earth? I'd like to get it set quite neg for handling purposes.