Sign in to follow this  
task

How to clean Grease off the engine?

What do you guys use to clean your enginebay? I tried cleaning it today with some water & washing solution but it did'nt do much especially where there is grease. is there some kind of solution other than carb-cleaner to get grease off ? :?:

Thanks.

theres loads you can use,wd40,gunk,auto glym make one,pop into your local halfords and there will be loads on display

I've used a spray on Hammerite Degreaser, it's OK if it goes on your paintwork and does a bloody good job. Around £3-4 IIRC.

Don't use GUNK!! - It stinks...

I've used NV Engine clean, the Autoglym and Turtlewax degreasers and all worked very well in conjuction with a low powered pressure washer and a kettle of hot water...

I used some stuff by Carplan called Tetrosyl, much cheaper than gunk and really does make your car whiter than white!

:lol: - Yeah, perhaps I should have read the instructions before I used it...

Apparently a liberal application of Coke (the drink) is quite good. All the distributors use it to degrease the engines of their trucks. Obviously don't get any on the electrics.

lol..also supposed to be great for cleaning stubborn stains from toilets!!!............and thats why i dont drink the shet!!!

If you put a tooth in it overnight it disappears by the morning! Ideal for children with milk teeth or fighting people. :geek:

If you put a tooth in it overnight it disappears by the morning! Ideal for children with milk teeth or fighting people. :geek:

Is that true? I thought that was an urban myth? :lol:

You guys should watch myth busters, they where all busted, did hardly anything to the engine, nothing to the tooth, was okay at polishing chome oddly enough.

I use gunk mixed 50/50 with parafin, does have its own smell tho!

lol..also supposed to be great for cleaning stubborn stains from toilets!!!............and thats why i dont drink the shet!!!

surely if you did you could kill two birds with one stone :pukeleft:

I thought the myth was if you put a cow in a glass of coke it would disolve over night.... never been dis- proved cant fit a cow in a glass! :D

Moooooooooo!

Myth busters is a great program, watched a lot of it while in the US. The one where they do the exploding scuba tank from Jaws was pretty cool, and the faux-house getting struck by faux-lightning was sweet.

Reckon you could get a cow in this without much hassle :D

Dunno if the cow would be willing, and I for one wouldn't want to argue with it. Just ask nicely and you might be surprised at the outcome...

Steam cleaners do a good job of cleaning the engine, but the steam can play havoc with any gammy wiring that you might have...

i steam cleaned my engine (and the sound deadening!), my headlights stayed on full beam for 30 mins!! turns out i flooded one of the relays on my headlight loom. But at least i know the wiring is sound...now!! :wink:

ive just bought some engine degreaser from partco,cost me £7 for a gallon compared to £10 for 2.5 lires from halfords...its called DX