Sign in to follow this  
64 SPLIT

Coolant Light Flashing?

Ran the car to work fine this morning, and out at lunchtime no problems. Get in it to go home and the red coolant light is flashing pretty much straight away. I checked the coolant level last night and it was fine - can't see any leaks either.

It usually runs with the coolant between 80 and 90deg's and the oil temp at 92/94 degrees.

On the drive home the coolant was between 90 and 100 and the oil temp was up to 100/104 at worst but dropped a few times to 94 deg with the red light flashing all the time.

Anyone got any ideas on what to check for first?

I've read the 'temperature sky high' thread on here but don't know where to start with this as the coolant temp isn't sky high.

when you say you checked the coolant the night before...did you re-check it when the light was flashing?

It's only a level light so won't be temp related...

Check the level and the wiring, the sensors go wrong if normal water has been used for top ups or the coolant is not strong enough, new tanks are about £18 from VAG (bit more if you have a VR)

I had this same thing. I did what corradowales said and found out it was slightly below the level. Apparently if the water in the header tank gets a bit low it can set off the warning light. I added some more water and hasnt happened since. I had it happen when I first started the car in the morning as well!

Its an easy and cheap fix and probably best place to start.

Hope you get it sorted mate

you should be fine if it was only a top up to bring it from slightly under to slighltly over the level shirly...?

Thanks puts my mind at rest anyway. What do you guys do when refilling the whole system? Do you boil the water??

And who you calling Shirly?? ( one of Leslie Nielsen greatest lines!!) :D

Oh thats cool, that what I used anyway! It started to over heat in a car park so I had to pay the rip off prices in the drinks machine at the car park. £1 for a small bottle!! I had to get a couple just in case! Thanks corradowales

Anyway sorry for the hi-jack. Hoepe you get it sorted 64 Split :D

lol..im not sayin you should use it....i would just rather use bottled water than the shet from the tap for the same reason that i'd rather drink bottled water myself than tapwater....im sure someone will be along to call me a pr1ck if im wrong anyhow... :)

Cheers guys - I think I'm gonna drain the system at the weekend and refill completely - seeing as I haven't got a manual (yet!) what's the best coolant fluid to use and how much will I need?

I read on the other post about G11 and G12? What the hoobastanks is thems?! Never heard of em before and can I get it from Hellfords or the likes?

Fully agree with you guys about the 'Evian' thing - I used 'Hadrian' (only because that's my name!) in my Scirocco to refill the coolant on there - the water round here develops a horrible scum on the top of it when its boiled so I avoid using it for the car!

My coolant light kept coming on for a couple for weeks with no noticable leak - and then my heater matrix finally blew flooding the cabin with steam.

Maybe a coincidence but once I bypassed the matrix no more problem with the light!?

Dutch

I read on the other post about G11 and G12? What the hoobastanks is thems?! Never heard of em before and can I get it from Hellfords or the likes?

VW occasionally update the coolant they use. So G12 is newer than G11. Use the most upto date coolant available, but don't mix different types of coolant.

G12 is a nice pink colour......helps to find leaks easily........speaking of which :(

i had to run my car on morris univeral stuff today and its gone bang again.well its overheating and pissing coolant everywhere.

could it be due to this and not having g12 which is normally in it?