Sign in to follow this  
randomist

knackered door handle!

looks like the curse of the knackered drivers door handle has struck again! is there a thread elsewhere on the forum explaining how to fix it or can anyone offer some advice. i'm getting a second hand door handle on saturday & want to know how (if) i can use my old lock barrel, obviously i'd like to keep all the locks the same. i've looked at the door handle & there's a little lever thats snapped off so i don't know if its completely knackered or if it can be salvaged?

cheers,gaz

you can replace the barrels, but you'll need the keys for both handles. from memory, if you look at the back of the barrel theres a circlip which you need to take off, then you turn the key in the lock and slide the barrel out. just be careful not to knock the pins on the barrel and not to drop any of the bits, they have a tendancy to fall on the floor and roll away never to be found again!

when i get the door handle & don't have the key what would happen if i put it on the car, would the remote central locking still work? obviously i wouldn't be able to open it with a key but i'm not that fussed at the mo. i'll fix it properly eventually, honest!

I second that motion! Daves replica part was easy to fit and much better quality than the crap that VW put in there. But it is a good excuse for the passat handle mod - looks v.tidy

daves16v on the forum sells them too, i got a kit from him to repair my passenger handle, bit fiddly even with 2 of us working on it, but it only took about half an hour and works perfectly.

i've pm'd dave16v so just waiting for reply, is his kit like the one on e-bay? also how much did it cost? the kit on e-bay will set me back about 30 quid but its in germany so don't know how long it'll take to arrive. i'm getting a handle of the guy i bought the car off so i'm in no mad rush coz i'll have that fitted on saturday but i want it fixed properly so i don't have to keep faffing on with it!

dave charged me £13.50, although I dont remember if that included p&p, and yes, his kit is the same idea as the one on ebay

..any woman you trust with your balls in her mouth you should trust with your car..... :wink:

think i'll be getting the repair kit off dave just as soon as i get a reply. for £13-50 its a bargain! hopefully i'll be able to fit it myself but if i cant i just so happen to know a bloke who's done this job before who's a member of the forum, lives about a mile from me, drive a silver vr6! erm....whassis name man? only joking chris!!!

purpley-corrado-dude, PM sent

To those on this thread, thanks for the support. Much appreciated.

how useful is this forum? already ordered my repair kit off dave! should be all sorted in no time! cheers everyone.

gaz