Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

maybe start a dedicated thread kev, and invite some other VRT's from other forums maybe to make up a nice number :shrug:

I was about to post that I was not going to be able to make the RR day on 19th now. So its just as well this is going to be rescheduled. I'll try and make the next one. :wink:

Impressive dyno plots in PPC. I can't get over or understand how you get so much power from just 16psi.

Charlie

Could just make another CF rolling road day as a few of us want to see what remap, etc have done... but just try get all the VRT's together for comparing?

I have all the 'parts' for a VF9 Charger sitting on a shelf at Stealth Racing ready to go on a VR. Just about to relist it in the for sale section!

Look in the suppliers section for the Stealth Turbo kit. £4400 inc plus other bits to 'carry' the extra strain. The Charger is bolt on, no extra engine work needed.

I'm seriously considering turboing a Mk5 R32 - thing is I live in the Middle East and ambient temps in the summer as I'm sure you know get hot hot hot - they can push 50degrees at their highest, so I have some concerns with regard to induction temperatures, are they justified? I'd probably go for a kit so I know the intercooler will fit, but should I be thinking about putting in the largest one I can? Going charge cooler with some fans fitted on the rad? Adding water injection?

The cars that are sold here are GCC specification (Gulf Cooperation Council - Saudi, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Bahrain and Kuwait) which I believe means they have a chunkier cooling and a/c set up. I wonder if the fuelling is also adjusted to help? The other major issue I have is the mapping, I think I would have to go for an off the shelf solution, I'll have to see if there is anywhere that does mapping with a rolling road in the region but I doubt this very much. Do modern fuel injection systems compensate for air temperature variations?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Chris.

C2 Motorsports sell a fuelling kit for MK5 R32 turbos, well, the whole turbo kit in fact. That is one option. Cream of the crop is HPA. Man that stuff is seriously next level, but with seriously next level prices to match.....but if you want the best.

I think Vince has sent a few maps over to Dubai before, and Israel and Hong Kong etc, so he'll be used to mapping for hot climates.

Another area of concern in Dubai is airborne sand particles. You need good filtration to make sure they don't get sucked in sand blast the turbo blades. So no cotton guaze for you sir, stick to paper!

As far as forced induction intake strategies go, once the temps hit 50 deg, the ECU starts retarding the timing. On a 50 deg C day, you're unlikley to see lower than 20 deg above atmosphere in the intake, so 70+ deg intakes will impact the performance a bit. As an idea, I retard the ignition 6 degrees with an intake temp of 70, but tbh it's still quick!!

The car would be best driven hard at night in the cooler ambients :D

If you use the standard ECU, then it also has knock protection and EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) protection, so you'll be fine chap.....

I would say a good chargecooler will work best in Dubai, with a full frontal heat exchanger, but a big air-air intercooler will work well too.

Thanks for the reply Kev. It's very interesting to know that Vince can do maps to ship out.

I've been looking at both the C2 and HPA sites before now, like the look of this: http://www.hpamotorsport.com/ft425-special.htm as it comes with the DSG software.. :) Spotted this the other day http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified/au ... -golf-r32/ 3 doors are like rocking horse poo out here for some reason.

I've had my heart set on a 997 turbo for ages but if I'm honest I don't think I could bring myself to spend that much money (spunk years of savings and take on a loan..) and I'm missing having a project and a VW so this is very, very appealing.

I guess I could restrict myself to driving it hard when its cooler.. :)

Indeed, how many days of the year is it 50 deg C outside? :D

Yeah I REALLY like tha HPA kit. It looks completely OE and knowing HPA, it will drive like OE and last like OE aswell 8) That's a nice chargecooler too. If you go for that I would let them know where you live and that you need a big old air-water heat exchanger!

An R32 turbo shouldn't be too far off the pace of a 997 Turbo and it will defo keep you occupied as a project!

Sorry OV - no P/N [it's worn off!] but I can tell you mine is 1370mm long and I believe it's the standard 7 rib belt for C's with aircon.

Thank you anyways. I just took mine out and it measures 1720 mm! That belt does not exist. I read the 1300 something one, but I can just think about doing some change on the idler tensiones screw so that is can acommodate a shorter lenght belt. The original VR6 belt is around 1410 mm and the one closes to the one I need is 6 ribs 1698, but its only sold in a website in the UK at least that I could find. The bad thing is that they only ship whithin Europe, so I am waiting for an asnwer if they will ship to the US. Its funny how difficul it is to get the replacement serpentine belt for the VR6 with the z-engineering supercharger (which I really enjoy having). If you guys have any ideas, I am all ears!

Cheers!

If this is your last resort fella PM me and I'll buy it for you and ship it as a 'used car part' worth a few quid, you'll hopefully not get shafted on taxes. Obviously I need you to pay me back for it, it's not some philanthropic gesture out the blue!

Looks like i might be buying a rotrex C30-94 kit for my VR, does anyone have any fitting instructions for this kit or know where i could perhaps download a set?

I've done a google search but not had a load of luck.

Looks like i might be buying a rotrex C30-94 kit for my VR, does anyone have any fitting instructions for this kit or know where i could perhaps download a set?

I've done a google search but not had a load of luck.

It's easy to fit mate. If you look back through this thread there are some detailed pics CrazyDave put up of when I fitted mine. The only thing you really need to know is that you'll need to grind down one of the corners of the head to give some clearance for the bracket and pullies etc, it's shown in the pics though.

Cheers for the reply, any idea how long ago this was so i don't have to go through all 92 pages!

Page 27 mate ;)

Indeed, which was found using the search funnily enough :roll:

Advanced Search. Subject = Rotrex. Author = Crazydave. Forum = Engine bay.

How hard is that? Takes seconds.

I'm sorry but I and others spend a lot of effort and time researching and uploading material to this forum and people who can't be arsed to use the search are beginning to annoy me. It just undermines all the hard work we put into this place.

Go into any public library and ask what page a particular subject is in in a particular book and see what kind of response you get.

Forums are no different. They are just virtual libraries and it's up to you to find the info you want. It's call 'Research'. Gaining knowledge by hand holding doesn't teach you anything and can often lead you down the wrong path aswell.

Ignore the grumpy git mate he must be on a bad day.

I'm sure he will realise it and apologise lol. But there still is some truth in what he says but until you know how the search works for the best results it is pretty useless. Maybe there should be a guide put up by a mod that's in the global bit so it appears at the top of everything maybe.