Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

EBC Greenstuff

Hmm the old Greenstuff, "hardly any dust given off, and what there is simply blows away". What a load of bollox, gives off as much dust as Ferodo and what DOESN'T blow away sticks like s**t to a blanket and if you have coated wheels simply burns away!!! :lol:

Oh yeah and as for low/no fade, bollox again.

AGREE AGREE AGREE!!

Ordered up some Greenstuff for my Golf G60. What a load of Sh1t!! Squeaked like hell even after I drove round like a fanny for 300miles to bed them in. They also produced so much dust it was worse than standards!! My dealer told me this was becasue they were "operating outside their heat range, You need Red stuff pads" THis is after I removed the pads greased the contact areas and replaced them, and fitted "anti-squeal shims" as the metal ones were sliding backward and contacting the disc where the glue had melted!!! So much for uprated pads.... I tested Greenstuff as part of a project at college and we had them up to 700 odd degrees with no problems at the time. Needless to say I am now on red stuff and although they stop fine, they squeak like hell and produce loads of dust!!! See pics of two days driving on Green Stuff pads...

They are utter shite. Rant over :D

LOL, I just remembered that the green "paint" on the greenstuff literally caught fire and dripped off after I killed the brakes! After a few miles of ridiculous hard braking I stopped at a set of lights, a geezer in the left lane thought my engine was on fire, the smoke was unbelieveable :lol:

Maybe if I had bedded them in they might not have squealed like pig for evermore, then again....

ive used greenstuff pads for many years now,had them on my mk2 16v and now on my vr6,and i would not change them for anything...my wheels stay clean and braking is absolutely perfect

Hi Guys,

I've just changed discs and pads all round with Greenstuff pads. So far I've been pleased, I think the initial bite and feel is better than the VAG ones previously on the car, and feel like there is more power to be had. It feels like the tyres will always let go before the brakes fade or anything.

A bit dissapointed after reading this thread, maybe i'll try the pagids next time! The amount of brake dust seems greater than my last pads too!

Interesting what someone said about the EBC turbo groove discs - my mate put them on his 325 beemer, and yes they stink and run really hot, with no improvement over the BMW OEM setup.

Cheers,

Pete.

ive used greenstuff pads for many years now,had them on my mk2 16v and now on my vr6,and i would not change them for anything...my wheels stay clean and braking is absolutely perfect

Your wheels stay clean?? Please, come on !! I suppose braking would depend on the discs used, but I had terrible fading.

A mate of mine applies a small amount of Vaseline to his wheels which obviously traps the dust, he then simply wipes it off and re-applies. Perfect protection for your alloys.

Don't get me wrong Greenstuff are fine as pads go but they do not live up to their marketing spiel.

Of course Dink, thank you for the words of wisdom, but I had less fade with a set of Ferodo which I only put on pro tempore until the service arrived, bloody terrible dust, about the same as the EBC's :lol:

A mate of mine applies a small amount of Vaseline to his wheels which obviously traps the dust, he then simply wipes it off and re-applies. Perfect protection for your alloys.

I was advised to do that (or a spray of WD40 - but brakes and WD...hmmm) on my RHs over winter to protect the fragile split rim laquer, but I wasn't prepared to be seen by my neighbours on all 4s with a tub of vaseline next to the car, it just didn't seem right.

As for the greens... they were on the Corrado when I bought it. Initial bite is actually quite good as mentioned, but at speed, they're dire and faded like buggery. The Pagids are the other way round. Not much initial feel but slow the car down with real vigour from higher speeds.

Dust, shmust....I like it. Gives the car a well used look :lol:

The reason I can't stand the dust is due to my wheels being powder coated. The dust actually eats into it, if left alone it will start to "pit", which is what happened to a mate of mine who had the refurb done some time back.

This is why he now uses the Vaseline trick.

I have also just seen that the Bentley Bible states exactly this.

And anyway Kev as long as the neighbours know why its OK, the thought of a man pleasuring himself over his wheels would definately enter the minds of some of them :lol:

I have had 2 sets Red-Stuff on my VR over as period of 3 years now and no problems at all (appart from the current slightly warped discs, but put that down to them being shite as they're zimmerman drilled ones that are renowned for warping anyhow)

Dutch 2p....

Red stuff? How many stuffs are there? :lol:

If EBC ever do a 'Goodstuff', I might be interested :)

LMAO!! you hit the nail on hte head with that one Kev! :lol: :lol:

Ok so many a bad opinion of the ol' green stuff pads. But tell me this, are they better than VAG pads? I don’t really go for it breaking wise and the VAG pads have been fine for me so if green stuff are better they would suit me.

thanks fopr the help guys..

Basically Greenstuff are OK but are not worth the extra pennies.

Go to Halfords and buy some Ferodo pads, same results achieved, less money.

VAG pads are pretty good, I think they're actually non fast road pagids. I don't like them though because they give off a heavier, brown, nasty dust that really sticks to the rims.

That's the trouble is pads, they last such a long time that it takes years of trying different ones to form an unbiased view.

I shall be trying shoulder and note pads next.....

Kev,

go for the Mintex 1144's you wont be disappoionted!

How different are these from the Pagid Fast Roads? Since the FRs seem to be a favourite here, and what about the inital bite and brake dust? The FRs dont seem to have that initial bite which gives you a false sense of "my brakes aren't working" which can be a tad scary until you put your foot down further, lol.

well the Mintex' have a good initial bite from cold which doesnt feel any different to when they are warm from what i have experienced, much better imo tho and they dont fade from high speeds either.

break dust wise i would say that they produce a bit less dust.

i dont have them on the 'G' but i have got them on my CTR and im often giving the breaks a good testing up on roads like the A4069 (Top Gear road where they filmed the FFRS) where speeds are not exactly kept to the limit!

if you know this road you know how twisty it is and how much of a test it is on the not only the breaks but the whole car!

VAg pads are Ate but the seem to be too hard a compound for those of us who like to break hard and go shiny and tend to squeek... on the up side they last a good 20-30k miles...

Kev,

go for the Mintex 1144's you wont be disappoionted!

I've used those in the past, now called Mintex C-tech I believe. Yeah they're pretty good! I like all sorts of pads, but for some reason the Pagid fast roads seem to be my faves at the mo, even though they have cr@p initial bite!