A20 LEE

A20 LEE My New Daily..

Think its an amazing reflection of the way my mind is going that even brand new parts have to be stripped and rebuilt.

Sorry couldn't resist, but you are crazy and are rewriting the book on building a Corrado show car in the process, keep it coming!

Thing is I though i had wrote that for a second!! :lol:

Got my chrome driveshafts back yesterday and Rick kindly built them up for me, cheers mate! Gonna be pi55ed every night doing jobs for beer :lol:

Also got cracking on the rear beam. Stripped to bare metal and ground back the welds. Now i'm going to run another weld along the edges of the current welds and smooth them in completely so the beam looks like one solid piece. Little more extreme than i planned but with TMT McCoy on here being a bad influence on me you, got to expect these things to happen. :lol: . Next question anyone think of a reason why i shouldn't box in the rear of the beam with a metal plate? Will it stiffen the the ride? Not sure if theres supposed to be any flex in the rear beam. Certainly won't be if i box and fit my Eibach anti-roll bars!!

Lee, you really need to be paying a me a visit for some shot blasting. I do it at work, cheap rates!

Actually enjoy doing it myself. Shot blasting is also a complete pain to sand out to get a smooth finish for chroming.

dont box it lee, would be like having a huge anti roll bar, infact would be like have a solid rear axle like some old ford!

Here's a question for the engineers among us. If i bent a piece of 1.5mm steel plate into a U shape and welded it into the rear of the rear beam. The two outer edges of the plate would be welded to the outer edges of the rear beam, how ever the U of the plate would sit inside the U shape of rear beam sitting very close to the integrated anti-roll bar. In theory the rear beam shouldn't be a great deal stiffer but would hide the anti-roll bar. Thoughts??

Really keen to do this if you hadn't guessed!! Tempted to just go for it and see what happens.

Lee - You are effectively doubling the thickness of the beam by doing that which would increase the torsional strength massively, which is what makes the rear beam "work". As Andy said you will end up with virtually a solid rear axle.

Jay

Lee - You are effectively doubling the thickness of the beam by doing that which would increase the torsional strength massively, which is what makes the rear beam "work". As Andy said you will end up with virtually a solid rear axle.

Jay

If i boxed it you right, now i'm suggesting a U shaped section which should still allow the beam to twist as i'm not completely resolving the resultant force in the beam as you would with a triangular section. My theory is that the U shape in 1.5mm steel should increase the I value of the cross section but not by a huge amount.

I see what you mean but by spacing the 1.5mm U shape away from the original beam you are increasing the I value quite a bit I should think. Fair enough its only 1.5mm steel, which may not make much difference, but if it doesn't it will probably twist and fatigue?? Difficult one.... I don't see why it won't look OK as it is....

Jay

Not a good idea, it would stiffen it right up. you could do that and a do away with your anti roll bar as a counter measure but its a bit risky and you are taking chances.

for cosmetics how about getting a polished stainless steel sheet bent up that would sit within the u section. Attach it to just the top and rubber gasket it at the bottom. It would then not add any stiffness but would cover up the anti roll bar your trying to hide!

Second thoughts why not get it all chromed and then just paint the inside of the U and the anti roll bar black Gloss. Whould look just fine for the amount it is seen.

for cosmetics how about getting a polished stainless steel sheet bent up that would sit within the u section. Attach it to just the top and rubber gasket it at the bottom. It would then not add any stiffness but would cover up the anti roll bar your trying to hide!

Second thoughts why not get it all chromed and then just paint the inside of the U and the anti roll bar black Gloss. Would look just fine for the amount it is seen.

Interesting, bit of out of the box thinking going on now. Maybe i could go with the U section polished and chromed and silkoflex it onto place. Looks very close but has no impact on the rear beams function. Not quite as cool but a halfway house, probably just nag away at me though that its not done properly. Maybe i should buy another beam, do the mod and try it?

you could try cutting out the built in roll bar (good excuse to celan up the ends where it pokes through)THEN adding the extra plate.

as has been pointed out, any plate you add is adding to the torsional rigidity of the beam. You'd have to be a right smart arse to be able to work out how much to add or take away.

also, 1.5mm plate would distort like mad if you fully welded it in, which would stand out amile when chromed.

you could try cutting out the built in roll bar (good excuse to celan up the ends where it pokes through)THEN adding the extra plate.

as has been pointed out, any plate you add is adding to the torsional rigidity of the beam. You'd have to be a right smart arse to be able to work out how much to add or take away.

also, 1.5mm plate would distort like mad if you fully welded it in, which would stand out amile when chromed.

That more like it, have a go attitude. I'm pretty confidant the more i think about it that it will work out ok if i don't weld the plate to the trailing arms. Shouldn't be too hard to work out the increase in the cross section and imagine the eibach roll bar alone will stiffen up the rear more that the plate.

Thinking about smooth off the ends of the integrated anti-roll bar but keeping it in place. Really need to weld it from the inside of the beam but theres very little access. Probably reshape the ends of the bars and tack a plate over the hole to tidy it up. Would look much better with those lumps sticking out tho'

Should have more pics of the beam tomorrow and dropping of the subframes for chrome. Can't wait to see it all shiney, helluva lot of work gone into the rear frame. Hope it comes out OK!!!-

Only done one seam so far but you get the jist. Plan is to smooth and fill or grind every weld until i get a totally smooth beam. Should look really good but more importantly makes it a lot easier to chrome. Chrome struggles with chewing gum welds and tends to rust around them, so functional as pushing things on abit.

before

rearbeam7.jpg

After - first smooth seam.

rearbeam6.jpg

lee you seriously are mental you think of chroming things that i donty even look at...!

seriosuly though i cant wait to see it such a work of art and all on the best car!

nice one & good luck with your polisjhing

lee you seriously are mental you think of chroming things that i donty even look at...!

seriosuly though i cant wait to see it such a work of art and all on the best car!

nice one & good luck with your polisjhing

thanks, i've been sanding and grinding the rear beam today and thought to myself...Why am i doing this!!! Is going to look mental though.

Got my mag shoot pics today!! Here's a taster, unfortunately can't post them up due to copyright. If you want a realllly nice wallpaper let me know and i'll email you a few pics on the condition you don't post them on a forum.

BTW, whats missing from the pics? Removed something for the photos to make the car look cleaner and smoother.

i thought the number plate lovely car what mags it in lee i want to buy it! pay homeage to my fav C

can you enter one of these pics in the monthly calendar will be class!

hmmm, me thinking that the number plate is rarely around, and any body mods [side reps/ariel] have alrady been done, so my guess is tax disk?!

i thought the number plate lovely car what mags it in lee i want to buy it! pay homeage to my fav C

can you enter one of these pics in the monthly calendar will be class!

Unfortuately not, as i don't own the rights to the pics. Already been in PVW July 05.