A20 LEE

A20 LEE My New Daily..

crossmember35rl.jpg

Wow, I have missed alot in the last few days. Lee, you truly are a detail pervert! This is why your rado is at the top of the heap.

Seeing pic's like the one you posted above has sent me back to the lab trying to figure out how i can improve my own chrome frames. I tip my hat to you sir! :D

Highly recommend any one refurbing a car to seam weld subframe. The areas where the wishbones mount are shocking.

You're not wrong! In fact, the whole wishbone arrangement in general is completely cr@p on the MK2/MK3 platform - period. Especially the rear bushes, they're dire. The simple hinge method on the MK1 is vastly superior in terms of maintaining castor.

Anyway, Vince SW'd my subframe a few years ago but he forgot to chrome it though.

Wow, I have missed alot in the last few days. Lee, you truly are a detail pervert! This is why your rado is at the top of the heap.

Seeing pic's like the one you posted above has sent me back to the lab trying to figure out how i can improve my own chrome frames. I tip my hat to you sir! :D

well here another update for ya' :lol: (btw, hear your PVW feature is lined up, can't wait!! There doing a Part 2 on mine next year too)

Finish and polished the front cross member. All seam welded around the edges. The spot welds are filled in and i ground out all the weld where the two half of the cross member joint infront of the engine mount cup and rebuilt with fresh metal all blended in. Quite please with how much better it looks.

DSC01632b.jpg

Heres a another pic next to the chrome subframe so you can see the standard of polishing required on a steel part before it can be chromed. Not much in it.

frontcrossm2.jpg

Also polished the VF gearbox mount. Its is possible to strip down this part so it will be chromed too.

gearboxmount.jpg

Finally, stripped the eibach anti-roll bars down to bar metal for re-powder coating in bright red.

eibachstrip.jpg

Lee, the new pic's look awesome. The front subframe is going to look so sexy when it comes back from the chromers. I have the same VF engineering trans mount. I couldn't find anyone to press out the bushing so I had it mirror polished. I think there's a pic of it in my thread somewhere. I think the bright red powdercoated sway bars are gonna be a nice touch. 8)

Lee, the new pic's look awesome. The front subframe is going to look so sexy when it comes back from the chromers. I have the same VF engineering trans mount. I couldn't find anyone to press out the bushing so I had it mirror polished. I think there's a pic of it in my thread somewhere. I think the bright red powdercoated sway bars are gonna be a nice touch. 8)

Hmm. I dropped mine and it fell apart. Lucky accident, long as it doesn't on the road!! :lol:

Make sure you chrome that hardware as well... :lol:

Just when I start to say I can't do anymore, Lee you come along & prove me wrong. You might not realize it but you're pushing me ( in a good way ) to go further with my car!

Make sure you chrome that hardware as well... :lol:

Just when I start to say I can't do anymore, Lee you come along & prove me wrong. You might not realize it but you're pushing me ( in a good way ) to go further with my car!

likewise, probably end up as neighbours in the nut house in the near future

:lol:

absolutely amazing ,cant wait to see it all fitted ,is it costing a lot lee ,i know the gearbox didn't cost you much but are the other bits the same ?

absolutely amazing ,cant wait to see it all fitted ,is it costing a lot lee ,i know the gearbox didn't cost you much but are the other bits the same ?

spent about £400ish on chrome so far. Add a nought on if you don't want to get your hands dirty. Think i get mates rate though as the guys there love having a go at chroming something different and alittle challenging. Greg (boss) umm's and arrh's but the shop floor guys are always up for it.

details details ;) I'm well chuffed after fitting a chromed latch for my rear hatch. I bet you'll be quite happy with yourself once it's all finished.

How is your car looking now, by the way? Are you having any more work done to the exterior?

details details ;) I'm well chuffed after fitting a chromed latch for my rear hatch. I bet you'll be quite happy with yourself once it's all finished.

How is your car looking now, by the way? Are you having any more work done to the exterior?

Same as last year. Yeah, probably do a few more body mods while its in the booth and the wheels will probably change. Interior will go up a notch too. Biggest change, it will be miles faster!!

Found a nice pic on the web.

Finally, stripped the eibach anti-roll bars down to bar metal for re-powder coating in bright red.

But Eibach ARBs are already Red? Nutter! :lol:

why the red may I ask... I wouldn't think that it would flow well with the overall theme of the car.

Well done on the sub frames though, they look great. I can't wait to see the second PVW feature. :notworthy:

But Eibach ARBs are already Red? Nutter! :lol:

no they aren't, they're maroon.

THESE are bright red.

before

127122911.jpg

after

138388107.jpg

129975350.jpg

lee the paint just looks unreal in that pic mate, i mean it is in real life but that pic captures it better than anyother ive seen of A20

lee the paint just looks unreal in that pic mate, i mean it is in real life but that pic captures it better than anyother ive seen of A20

PiercedWinky, Went for bright red after seeing phat's pics on E38. I was going to re-coat them in the factory colour but bright red will make them stand out more as upgraded parts. They were bought secondhand of asim and had a few marks on them to i had to strip them down.

billinjahg60, cheers bill. Found that pic yesterday on google image and thought is was one of the best i'd seen. Really like how much of santa pod you can is in the rear bumper. Pic was taken by rachel (central park). Here's another. Really impressed with her photography.

They will look good under the car and really stand out well because of the chromed subframes and beam.

...and the parcel shelf..! :)

t_a20leee_629.jpg

Very nice pictures :thumbleft:

They will look good under the car and really stand out well because of the chromed subframes and beam.

...and the parcel shelf..! :)

t_a20leee_629.jpg

Very nice pictures :thumbleft:

idd, one of the best corrado pics I have seen tbh, although it looks like a GAP advert :p

lovely car mate, would love mine to end up like that one day.

n1 :)

That interior is still my favourite!

Still going down the turbo route Lee?

yep, i'm in no hurry (yet!!), keep going into more and more detail which is delaying getting the car to dubsport. Plan was get the box built up by Steve Brear (still finding bits to chrome holding up the box) then get the car over to mark to start the turbo. Now i'm planning a very special cylinder head and possibly new pistons and rods. To be honest don't need them for 325bhp i'm aiming for but want the engine to run that power stress free. As long as the engine and box is in and running by the end of summer i'll be happy. Really looking forward to driving a VR6T thats been built ground up for the power.