A20 LEE

A20 LEE My New Daily..

bet you will be pleased after its covered in crap after a trip to a show....

your crazy lee but u know that part already

I've polished mine. I cleaned it with paraffin, sand blasted it with a crappy sand blaster I've got which didn’t have much effect. I then spent about two days attacking it with a dermal. Finally, I spent a day with wire wool and polish. Didn’t come up that well needed to have spent longer dremaling it.

Here's the pics, there with cam phone though.

I polished mine last winter with everything else

DSC04469.jpg

Had a few tranny things color coded tranny mount bracket, clutch thing and a some other things.

DSC04462.jpg

looks like lee will be trailering the rado to shows at this rate!!

You know i'd never do that! Have you ever seen me spending more than 5mins cleaning my engine bay at a show? Now its nearly all chrome i just wipe it over with glass polish. Polished alloy is a different story!! The prep is pretty tedious but once its done the maintainence is a helluva lot easier.

Are you using a dremal Lee? Doing around the diff without one is going to hurt.

Another pic.

In places yes, but not on the flat sections as i don't want to spend time sanding out low areas cause by enthusiastic dremeling :lol:

Yours is looking good to me tho.

I polished mine last winter with everything else

DSC04469.jpg

Had a few tranny things color coded tranny mount bracket, clutch thing and a some other things.

DSC04462.jpg

What can i say but wow!! Awesome job, total respect from me for that work of art.

Just noticed your starter motor, is it polished or chromed?

In places yes, but not on the flat sections as i don't want to spend time sanding out low areas cause by enthusiastic dremeling :lol:

Yours is looking good to me tho.

There a fair bit of "enthusiastic dremeling" marks on mine! :lol: I think the cam pics make it look better than it is. I didn’t get any new bolts or bits of shifter, so the end result is hardly visible when looking into the engine bay. There a lot of gubins spoiling the view of the gearbox. To make the most of all the effort you need to get you bolts, shifter, cable ends chromed and if you can sort something with the starter motor and hydraulic clutch to make them look better. I’m sure you’ll be doing all this anyway. :lol: :lol:

There a fair bit of "enthusiastic dremeling" marks on mine! :lol: I think the cam pics make it look better than it is. I didn’t get any new bolts or bits of shifter, so the end result is hardly visible when looking into the engine bay. There a lot of gubins spoiling the view of the gearbox. To make the most of all the effort you need to get you bolts, shifter, cable ends chromed and if you can sort something with the starter motor and hydraulic clutch to make them look better. I’m sure you’ll be doing all this anyway. :lol: :lol:

Don't worry, i'm planning on doing all those parts too as you guessed. Getting there with the gearbox now, should be fully polished by the end of this weekend. Got to start on the bellhousing then, not even looked at it yet. Hope its alot easier!!

Got to say its a great help have you and toffeerado posting your gearbox pics on here, its really spurring me on with this horrible job. Never again :!: Well kind of, got the subframe to do yet :(

Your in luck the bell housing is a little easier. The forward facing flat bits by the starter motor and the bolt hole at the top come up mint. That little gully running along the top of the bell housing comes up nice too.

The bit I had trouble with was the curved surface on the back of the box by where the flange would sit. The grime there was really imbedded in the metal. Must have been CV joint grease mixed with road muck.

Have you found many casting imperfections? I had two pretty nasty ones on mine.

Your in luck the bell housing is a little easier. The forward facing flat bits by the starter motor and the bolt hole at the top come up mint. That little gully running along the top of the bell housing comes up nice too.

The bit I had trouble with was the curved surface on the back of the box by where the flange would sit. The grime there was really imbedded in the metal. Must have been CV joint grease mixed with road muck.

Have you found many casting imperfections? I had two pretty nasty ones on mine.

Found a couple of deep marks (inflicted) on the gearbox case but luckily I don't think you see them once the box is fitted, i'll blame Dinkus for them as I believe it his old gearbox i'm rebuilding which I bought off Mike. Also a few swirl marks but I can probably sand them out. Just looking forward to getting it to the chromers, hopefully before christmas. Dreading the bill for it though!!

:notworthy:

SOOOOooooo much work into your ride! Loved it for a couple of years, now, Lee.

Thanks Matt. :D Spotted my next set of wheels today :luvlove:

The gearbox in now polished!! Really pleased with it, even got a bit carried away and removed large casting line across the top of the box for a smooth look. Got to mask it up for chroming now and make a start on the bellhousing which I placed next to the gearbox in one of the pics so you can see difference, before and after.

CaiosG60 PWR,

The underside of the box was very pitted.

I think Lee would chrome his cornflakes if he could ;) It'll be easier upkeep once its chromed I believe, just needs a wipe over.