Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Speedline Alloys have slow air leaks

Original Speedlines on my car are in excellent condition. However, yesterday, with soapy water placed on horizontally laid wheel I have confirmed very slow leaks where tyre meets rim. (Pressure had dropped to 16psi after a fortnight)

I know this is a common problem.

What is a typical cost per wheel for the refurb of these alloys?

Multiplied by four it might be a lot, so I could perhaps get just the worst leaking one or two done initially.

Not heard of the Speedos leaking like that before. I've had 3 sets on mine and none of them leaked.....I guess you are unlucky?!

I had mine refurbed by http://www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk and they were superb, they look new. The cost for 4 was about £230 all in.

If you want a mint set of standard wheels I'd say it's definitely worth it, but if they're just 'get you by' wheels, then it's obviously not worth it.

I've heard of a couple of people hear saying they have slow leaks due to corrosion around the inner rim where the tyre is supposed to sit. My old set included. But - I haven't heard of anyone who actually tested it in a bucket of water ..

You might not need them reburbing. You can take the tyre off, rub the part of the wheel that is leaking with really fine emery paper or use a fine wire brush. This will ensure a good seal. It could be the adhesive left over from a previous tyre that was fitted which wasn't removed when your current tyres were fitted.

dr_mat said

I haven't heard of anyone who actually tested it in a bucket of water ..

What size are your buckets ffs?! Didnt mention bucket. :roll:

I should not have to be telling a qualified doctor to reread the post carefully. :wink:

vr6storm said

should you not have BBS solitudes on yer Storm craigowl

Silly me. Well spotted!

Old age, you know.

kev - Clearly one has to expect the added extra with the Storm - leaky Solitudes, as opposed to the inferior non-leaky Speedlines!

dr_mat said

I haven't heard of anyone who actually tested it in a bucket of water ..

What size are your buckets ffs?! Didnt mention bucket. :roll:

I should not have to be telling a qualified doctor to reread the post carefully. :wink:

LOL, and your speedlines^wsolitudes are immune from an attack of pedantry I assume.. ;)

Anyway, most tyre places DO have a big wheel-sized bucket to look for leaks. And does it really matter!!

If they look like they need a refurb then go fo it otherwise I'd get the tyres off the rims and clean the inner rim up or try ultraseal maybe?

supercharged said

try ultraseal maybe?

Ive got thingmyseal [pinky American goo - about £50 for 4 C wheels) already in.

Clearly, I am not going to recommend it to anyone now, though, the blurb convinced me it was a good buy.

Had the same problem of leaky rims with mine - took it to a tyre shop and cost £24 for two wheels to grind down the inside of the rims and get rid of the corrosion etc and refit / balance the tyres - been fine since...

The cost for 4 was about £230 all in.

Kev, thats a bare cost??? It cost me £295 including tyres off, tyres on at the local pick up point last year and despatch/return from Pristine for a set of 14" wheels.

Chris

very slow leaks where tyre meets rim

Looks like the clear lacquer coat has perished. Common on painted alloys with age. Matter of regular checking/inflating v refurbishment.

rub the part of the wheel that is leaking with really fine emery paper or use a fine wire brush

That will break the air seal of the laquer on speedlines or solitudes and many other VW painted alloy wheels as the alloy metal is air porous. That's with they eventually start leaking with time as the lacquer coat perishes.

The cost for 4 was about £230 all in.

Kev, thats a bare cost??? It cost me £295 including tyres off, tyres on at the local pick up point last year and despatch/return from Pristine for a set of 14" wheels.

Yeah just gave them 4 bare wheels, which they collected from work and sent back 3 days later.

I've got the same problem with 3 of my tyres, very annoying pumping up the tyres every week!! Pretty sure its leaking from the rims.