Sign in to follow this  
sciroccotune

Sound proofing - with pics

i used the audioscape stuff and then a layer of the neoprene/rubber stuff on top of that (onlly did the doors so far) but its top gear

the aqua seal 10mx300mm roll - £22 from B&Q

picked one up last night and will be trying it out on my everyday rover 200

piccies and results to follow!

I have done a bit more looking around on this subject and it seems that even professional sound deadening is just a material, i.e aluminium, with a bitumen base. The only difference seems to be thickness... just double up on the aqua seal :-)

Think I will for the doors, thinking a combination of aqua seal and the proper stuff should do the trick.

edit: I can see my windows stop working the moment i cover the doors with sound deadening :lol:

passenger door done - and a difference IS noticable

boot floor (parts done) no difference noticable yet.

transmission tunnel done, difference IS noticable.

gonna do the drivers door next and leave it at that till decemeber (ive got a month of work then) and i can strip the WHOLE interior out including the roof line and dash board, to go silly on it - using Aqua seal and undercarpet felt - cheap and does the job. soooo a big thanks to scirrocotune :D for pointing out this alternative to dynamat and brownbread

in decemeber the corrado will also be done - as road noise at 70mph plus is rediculous in that car :p

glad you have got it done my friend....Also glad that you have confirmed my findings..... (turns out I'm not crazy ;-) :lol: )

Have to agree with the corrado being a bit noisy :multi:

logicaltuning, ? Did you use just a single layer of the B&Q stuff all over? And where exactly did you put it on the tunnel area? Pics would be useful.

all under the platsic cowling around the gearstick itself, and under the carpet between the dash and gearstick

i hav nt had chance to do any more yet but yes in the passenger door i did use a single layer and you can here the difference as i was sat in the passebger seat yesterday and it now seems louder everywhere else lol

How many rolls did you need in total - i'll be picking some up tomorrow evening hopefully.

is that B & Q stuff the bitumen backed repair stuff?

If so you can get it cheaper from a decent roofing merchant - we used to use it all the time on the rooves in Keynsham and Bath (fecking council tennants nicked the lead every time we replaced it lol). Mind you, there is even cheaper stuff that isn't self adhesive, jus need a little blowtorch to heat it up and on it goes!

The other down side to the bitumen flashing from B&Q is that it doesn't deal with the heat so well.

You really do have to make sure the surfaces you stick it down to is very clean - otherwise it has been known to go VERY floppy in the hot weather (ie inside door cavities on dark coloured cars on sunny days), peel off the panel and leave sticky gooey mess on windows as they roll down.

Never really experienced this myself but have seen the results on other peoples cars.

For a budget job - IMHO you can't beat it....... but you certainly can buy better. Still in two minds as to what to use for the new car.

Will probably go for flashing on the floor pans & branded on the doors and flanks. Good combo!

I rebuilt my interior finally a week or so ago, so I can now enjoy the sound proofing to its full potential... and to be honest I'm not sure I can really tell the difference, I shouldn't have left the interior out for so long because I can't remember how loud the car was before I added the sound proofing, it was that long ago!

I still don't have a quiet car though, which is a bit of a shame, but most of the noise is coming from the engine, which is a good thing :)

same in my car now, engine noise seems to be the main thing, however i do think it is better but then again I don’t think its possible to silence a C! :twisted:

No difference? Hmmm... mine is substantially quieter! Mind you, I did put 8mm thick neoprene pads on top of the dynamat stuff aswell.

Mind you I have to admit, the VR does seem a lot quieter than the 4 cylinder Cs in general anyway to be honest.....not that that helps you at all :lol: I wonder if VW used more sound deadening on the later cars?

Just thought I'd add some of my comments here - used the B&Q stuff (double layered) on the doors and in terms of improving the quality of the standard Nokia speakers, you'd be surprised they can actually sound better. So positive number one. In terms of noise reduction also reduced, although I've put about 3 layers of fabric felt behind the door cards too. Positive number 2. BIG negative - my car is blue and the drivers side seems to have come adrift in the sun due to heat soak. I'm looking at some acoustic foam for the door cards and quarter panels. This is more sound PROOFING(ie absorption of sound as opposed to reduction of panel vibration) not deadening, so the speaker quality will probably go back to being its normal crap. Road noise should decrease though but I'll get back with some comments when its done. Flashing is good for horizontal surfaces like the floor pan and boot area and the rest should be done with someehing that can withstand heat more. Bitumen goes soft and doesnt really hold.

Just thought I'd add some of my comments here - used the B&Q stuff (double layered) on the doors and in terms of improving the quality of the standard Nokia speakers, you'd be surprised they can actually sound better. So positive number one. In terms of noise reduction also reduced, although I've put about 3 layers of fabric felt behind the door cards too. Positive number 2. BIG negative - my car is blue and the drivers side seems to have come adrift in the sun due to heat soak. I'm looking at some acoustic foam for the door cards and quarter panels. This is more sound PROOFING(ie absorption of sound as opposed to reduction of panel vibration) not deadening, so the speaker quality will probably go back to being its normal crap. Road noise should decrease though but I'll get back with some comments when its done. Flashing is good for horizontal surfaces like the floor pan and boot area and the rest should be done with someehing that can withstand heat more. Bitumen goes soft and doesnt really hold.

I've had really good results with 'brown bread' (not the flour based variety) for inside doors etc.. and sheets of felt from the roofs of cars at the scrappy for under the carpets, rear seats etc.. where it's always dry.

Makes my 16v loads quieter.