Sign in to follow this  
OK VR6

Oil Change

I have recently purchased my VR and would like to do an oil change.

Can anyone recommend an oil to use?

hi mate....welcome to the forum...theres a search facility at the top of the page...if you use that it should come up with miles of threads about differing opinions on the best oil to use for certain engines with certain mileage.

hope that helps.

:D

EDIT--or what he said ^^^^ :roll:

I got 10 Litres of Fuchs Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 from Oilman this morning, so I'll give that a bash and report my findings :D

Silkolene is a recognised brand on the race track and gets good reviews, so it should be perfect for an ageing charged VR.... I like the viscosity range too, spot on for a VR imo.

take a look at your service documents and see what oil was being used,i was using vw quantum,but the engine seemed to be using a lot of oil,when i looked at my service documents all the dealers was putting shell helix in at servicing,so i tried it and oil consumption dropped dramatically

When I did an oil change when I bought her, I put in Castrol Magantec GTX 15W-40, but at a service not too long, the VW Quantum 15W-40 stuff was put in, and the Quantum definitely feels better than the Castrol Magnatec did.

But that's the only 2 different types of oils I have experienced in my VR.

Thanks guys,

I think I might go for the Quantum 15W-40.

How much of the stuff do I need for a whole oil chage?

10Ltrs?

The car takes 6 litres, but I put in 5.5 litres which leaves the oil level exactly in the middle of the "min-max" level of the dipstick.

Just to clarify, Synta Silver is 10W/40, the blue synta is 15W/40. Gold synta is 5W/40

Shell Helix as Dazzy mentioned is a very good oil which one of my old Golfs used to like, but it's personal preference at the end of the day all engines are different in their own little way, so some might use one brand of oil more than a different engine, but there's definitley no "You must use this or else..." kind of thing with oil. What ever you can afford, just so long as it's not cheap schitt you wouldn't put in a lawn mower engine, let alone a car engine.

19mm socket for the sump plug

6mm allen head for the filter housing drain plug (it holds 1/2 litre so you wanna empty it first before unscrewing the plastic cup that holds the filter element)

Some big old bastard spanner for the filter cup, or a strap tool, but it depends on what monkey last did it up.

Try the search too, it's been discussed loads

kevhaywire said

I got 10 Litres of Fuchs Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 from Oilman this morning, so I'll give that a bash and report my findings

How much Slick 50 did you add kev? :nuts:

I got 10 Litres of Fuchs Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 from Oilman this morning, so I'll give that a bash and report my findings :D

Silkolene is a recognised brand on the race track and gets good reviews, so it should be perfect for an ageing charged VR.... I like the viscosity range too, spot on for a VR imo.

i can vouch for the quality of this stuff as i bought some Silkolene Pro-S 5w40 for my Civic Type R a few months back and i have been very impressed with it! car feels nice a lot smoother than before it was put in! 8)

craigowl, LOL, none!

OK VR6, you're welcome dude.

corradowales, Bullsh1tting is an art I have perfected :wink:

LHD-G60, If it's good in your high revving motor, then I'm happy!