Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

video of my vr revving to 8k(ish)

odd one this, both the rev dial and the mfa extra funtions show the car revving WAY higher than it should... sadly on checking the engine speed sensor neither of them are accurate. anyone got any ideas why they might be reading wrong?

(camera phone vid, should play in quicktime)

-edit-

link to an avi for those who cant see the 3gp

avi version

Ah.. ignore that.. I didn't realise it went completely off the scale!! Just watched the video now.. hehe!

Either the rev limiter has been removed or the rev counter is buggered.

I thought we established it was most likely the former last we time we dicussed this?

Only way to be sure is buy/borrow an external rev counter, tap it into the cam sensor loom and then see what the revs really are. If still overf 8K then it's rechip time. Chippers are supposed to leave it at 7000rpm, not remove it completely. I wouldn't go up there anyway as A it's not making power and B, it'll f'ck the hydraulic tappets.

yeah, chris vr6nos thought it was chipped, but we took the ecu appart and....its not! suppose that only leaves a buggered rev counter in the clocks... arse :(

Only way to be sure is buy/borrow an external rev counter, tap it into the cam sensor loom and then see what the revs really are.

I think Chris did something very much like that using his multimeter thingy, when i held the revs at 2k, it showed 1300 from whatever sensor it was he was measuring.

I'm often wrong about these sorts of things but.. I don't think its been chipped to remove the limiter.. you listen to the sound of it, and you know what a VR sounds like very far round the rev range.. it just doesn't sound to me like its revving up to 8000RPM. Just looks like the needle is in the wrong place for the corresponding RPM.

I thought it was just the needle too jim, but the extra functions on the mfa confirm its in the right place since they show the same rpm output.

Hard to write what I meant to say but - I mean perhaps is there some kind of sensor thats making the needle go to the wrong position and telling the MFA the wrong information about the RPM?

Can you not temporarily try a new set of clocks if you have access to any?

The signal from the cam or crank sensor is the correct one, e.g 1300rpm when the dash shows 2000.

You can replace the rev counter part of the clocks for £45 from VW.

What's the chances that the clocks have been changed for those from a 4 cylinder car? That would make it read wrong, but not sure if it would be high or low...

Looks like time for a new counter anyway.

I'm probably wrong here, but it's just a thought.

The clocks you bought had the different illumination, that's why you bought them, however the clocks did have white needles on them, now i've only ever seen the VR dash with the red needles, never white.

1300rpm divide by 4cyls times 6cyls=1950rpm!

4x6=1950rpm

Looks to me like it's a 4cylinder dash! which is no good on a VR for sure, told you not to sell the origional bloody dash! :roll:

Chris

ahhhhhhhhhh feck!

they did have white needles on when i bought them, but thats only because the chap i bought them off wanted the red needles for his clocks and put the white ones on mine so he could sell the whole unit on. I think i'll get in touch with him and direct him to this thread...

Corrado help desk, how can I help?

Erm, yeah, my VR6 rev counter points vertically off the scale when I boot it out.

Ahh, I see, can you just confirm you are using a 6 cylinder rev counter please?

Erm, ahhh...well...ermm....

Pillock.... :lol:

ah now hey, thats not fair! other than the colour of the needles, are there any other visual clues to tell you they're 4 or 6 cylinder clocks?

Not about clues but.. er.. have you got lots of documentation to verify the mileage on the car? The fact that its sporting a whole new set of clocks would worry me a little bit. Unless the PO had the mileage reset to whatever the VR was on when he swapped them..

LOL, only messin.... :lol:

I don't think there are any VR6 distinguishing features in the clocks, other than orange needles, which are easy to swap.

Easy mistake to make, but still amusing tho :lol:

ah now hey, thats not fair! other than the colour of the needles, are there any other visual clues to tell you they're 4 or 6 cylinder clocks?

part number :wink:

jim, its a bit of a mongrel anyway to be honest, its had an engine swap and now a clock swap. engines done about 128k, shells done more like 160k and the clocks show about 94k. I dont have much paperwork, but since i bought the car off chris vr6nos/vortech/mr name change-a-holic, and i know he'd looked after it, i felt safe buying it. I know it'll effect resale but i'm not getting rid for a good few years yet.

chrishill , I noticed that your fuel gauge dips upon acceleration is that normal in all corrado's because mine does the same..

Ah - didn't realise it was previously owned by Chris. Well as long as you know its been looked after and you knew about its history before hand then don't really matter :D

If I can just step in here...

Chris bought the clocks from me, and I bought them from Mike Edwards, who had listed them as VR6 clocks. I only wanted them for the red needles, so all I did when I had them was swap the needles over and change the illumination. I never powered them on or did anything to knacker them in any way, shape or form!

Clocks listed here as VR6...

;)

I intentionally didnt say where i got them dave, I wasnt going to blame you at all, I know you wouldnt have sold them as VR clocks if you didnt think thats what they were. I'll PM mike and see if he knows anything.

Indeed.. I know we're all generally an honest bunch around here! Sure its just a wee mistake. I'm definately not questioning anyones integrity at all!

Hahah, yeah, I know no-one's apportioning blame at all! Fret ye not... :D I'm happy to hear that I got the MFA and counter revs correct though - on mine I put the needles on wrong and now the speedo and rev counter over-read! :oops::roll:

Hope you get it sorted out matey!